“Wonderful place”
Review of Ariadne Beach

Ariadne Beach
Ranked #20 of 97 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 25 August 2013 to 1 September. The rooms were clean, the view was beautiful, the staff was kind and helpful. We enjoyed the food, not very divers but tasty and traditional. I enjoyed the Greek yoghurt, the salads and sweets and my husband liked the meat and the meals containing shrimps, calamaris and other specialities.
There is a beach right in front of the hotel, it's small but beautiful. We also enjoyed a delicious coffee at Votsalo, the bar near the beach. It has a few free sunbeds for customers, so you can buy yourself a drink, take a bath, enjoy the sun, take photographs and everything.
Almyros beach is 300 metres away from the hotel, is a nice sandy beach and at the end of it you can see Almyros river flowing intro the sea. We rented a car and visited Agios Nikolaos, the lake is gorgeous, you should see it too. You can also visit Gournia, the Palm Beach of Vai or Heraklion.

The pool is clean and there are animators that entertain both adults and children. There's a party near the pool every evening, starting 22.00 - 00.00. It's a bit loud, so avoid the rooms near the pool if you like to sleep early. Also, you should keep in mind that there are lots of stairs to climb, so if you don't feel like doing it ask for a room at a lower level. The rooms that are at the top have a better view. The complex is not very modern, is rather a mix between traditional and modern and the area is quite wild (vegetation and landscape).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Simona M
menegis, Guest Relations Manager at Ariadne Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and I am thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that one of the greatest assets of the hotel is the location and the small beach below the resort .I am also pleased that we achieved to impress you with the room and the food at the restaurant. It is really great that your overall stay was enjoyable and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Ariadne on a future visit to our wonderful island.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recommend this hotel for everybody who likes a peaceful, resting experience. New bungalows are located on a hill slope & thanks to this there is a nice view around. Location could cause some problems for old people or parents with small children, especially when somebody stays on the top, 6th level. The bungalow itself consists of a big room (25m2) & nice, new bathroom. Nice light furniture, small fridge, air conditioning working properly. Towels changed everyday,
Restaurant or rather canteen located on the first floor - from the balcony there is a beautiful view of the sea & mountains. There is a good choice of a delicious food although not always as hot as it should be.
Nice, sandy beach about 5min walk down the road. Ideal for families with small children as the water is shallow for a long distance out from the shore. Water sports are also available there.
The hotel is 15min walk from the center of Agios Nikolaos where is a good selection of shops, cafes and restaurants, There are also good public transport links to other parts of Crete here. There are also boat trips there. We recommend to rent a car to take a trip around East side of Crete in order to see many small, villages, archeological remains (incl.Knossos) & experience the beautiful views from mountains.

Room Tip: Take room in new part a hotel - right side (if you stand facing the hotel). Not too higher level if...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dora C
menegis, Guest Relations Manager at Ariadne Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

Dear Guest,
I thank you for your positive feedback.
I am very pleased that your review is overall a positive one and I have made a note of your comments about the food not being always hot in order for us to improve in this area.

Thank you for recommending us to others and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Ariadne Beach.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

LOCATION: The hotel is in a great place. You can walk easily to the town center, which is beautiful. It was really important to us.

BEACHES: There are two small beaches in front of the hotel, but it is not for full day bathing, because there are so many people. You can walk about 300 meters to a big sandy beach, which is good, but not great. In the first part of the sandy beach, there is bad smell of mud, in the second part there is a cold river and the water can be sometimes cold. You can also walk to municipal beach, but I wasnt there. On the other hand, the cost is nice with varios posibilities of swiming.

TRIPS: It is ideal to rent a car for few days, beucause you can travel to beutiful beaches in the eas of Crete (f.e. Vai, Kato Zakros, Agio Fotia ...). I can also recomend a trip to Spinaloga Island, very nice. The boat departures from the port of Agios Nikolaos.

HOTEL: The hotel is just fine. We were two persons, so we stayed in the old part of the hotel. The room was just normal (like 3 star hotel) and the bathroom was a little bit out of date, but we were satisfied. Only problem was with aircondition, which wasnt working properly.

MEALS: Simply great food. There isnt much to choose from (each meal max 4 meats, 3 side dishes), but every meal there is a completly diferent offer of foods that you can always choose the one for you. The quality of the food was great and the stuff immediately filled in the food, which run out. Dont expect to eat all the day, all inclusiv is in grecce just full board + drinks and ice cream all the day.

STUFF: Reception - helpfull, friendly. Stuff in restaurant - also friendly, but you have to seat on places, which they show you. Its because of the capacity of restaurant, but they can be rude if you sit on a place for 3 instead of 2. - for me, not a big problem but for them it is a huge problem. The bartenders were ok, they try to be polite and smile all the time, but they work almost 11 hours a day, sometimes with drunk people :-D.

ENTERTAINMENT: There are lots of activitis that you can do with animators next to the main pool. Almost every day. It can be sometimes anoying, but good for small kids I guess. Im not that kind of guy who likes it, you can easily use the pools in miramare hotel, but without all inclusiv drinks of course. In miramare hotel pools there is silence and not so many people.

FINAL: Good hotel for people, who like to move and travel. Big advantage is the proximity of Agios Nikolaos. Disadvadtage - not so beatiful beaches, just average.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnkazaa
menegis, Guest Relations Manager at Ariadne Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Guest,

I appreciate the time taken to post your feedback from your stay at the Ariadne Beach. I am pleased that you liked the location, the meals and that our staff was helpfull. May I kindly note that the seats in the restaurant are calculated according to the total number of guests at the resort and for this reason all guests are guided to specific tables. I have made note of your comment regarding the inefficient airconditioning, of which i have notified our maintenante department .
Thank you for your feedback and we do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our resort on a future visit.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Not recommended to those who dont like movement/cosy !!!!!

This is not an hotel ! This are bungalow rooms ! You will not find elvetors,restaurant at the first floor of the hotel !
Super food ,cleanliness room and super restaurant personal.The guys from the bar are not so polite!

First of all choose superior rooms they are new built buildings 2012 and they have super SIDE see view.If you want superrrr view choose high level rooms on the hill if you like to climb ! if not choose on the first level (in total 7)

The beach in front off the hotel is small ,but nice .you can find a good beach near hotel like 300 m with fine sand and super clean blue water.

If you walk 500 m you can reach Ag Nikolas city with hundreds of stores,bar,restaurant,s.Very nice greek city.

Rent a car go visit the island ! you will see super landscape.

Go in the city before you choose offers for your tripguide to see their offers.

And the best is that you can visit SANTORINI Island for 160 EUR/pers for 2 days !

Choose this hotel if you whant movement/relaxation/good food/landscape !!!!!!!

Sun bed are free at the hotel but for public beach is 7 E for 2/pers

Room Tip: -chose superior rooms and high level rooms for landscape not recomanded to cosy people! -rent a ca...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DanielBucuresti
menegis, Guest Relations Manager at Ariadne Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your full and comprehensive review of your recent stay with us. I was thrilled to hear that you were generally pleased with your stay. Our guest feedback is invaluable to us and helps us to enhance the experience and address the finer details. Your compliments have been passed on to all the staff in the restaurant and in the housekeeping . I was concerned to read that our staff in the bar did not meet your expectations. However, as we welcome any kind of constructive criticism I have taken your note on board which will only help us to improve in this area.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Ariadne Beach on a future visit.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We spent one week in Ariadne and we were very happy we choosed this hotel,only one problem can have people with disabilities to walk because there is many stairs to manage everywhere and sometimes it is very exhausting even for healthy people :)
accomodation was perfect with nice sea view,aircondition and nice bathroom where was bathtube,hairdryer.Every second day they changed towels,food was just perfect,sometimes was queue but it happened when came new tourists,then it was again ok.
Whole day(we had All inclusive) you could have drinks,soft drinks,bear,water,snacks,ice cream and there was also club with animators who made programm for children and adults as well(it was in czech language),every evening was kids disco and during day different kinds of sport disciplins,swimming pool was very clean but cold water,it had childrens pool as well.
Very beautifull sandy beach was about 15 minutes of walk away,higly reccomended for small children or you could use small one sandy pebbled beach just in front of the hotel.
At night is quiet because it is far from the city,if you wanna visit it,it is about 25-30minutes by feet,in the hotel you can borrow a car and to go around.Also you can go for some trips with delegate from hotel(also in czech language).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Michaela T
menegis, Guest Relations Manager at Ariadne Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback as I can tell that we have achieved our aim in satisfying all of your expectations of good service, facilities and accommodation.
I t will be my pleasure to pass on your kind words to the teams which will serve as an encouragement to all of them to keep on providing only the best services to all our guests.

We look forward having you with us again for another great holiday

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We spend 11 days in this hotel. The Ariadne beach has two parts, we were in old part.
There is very nice terrace in restaurant with splendid view on the sea and Mirabell Bay.
The quality of the meal is excellent, high quality of the services, staff is familiar and friendly - we are very satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank martinkali

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review which is greatly appreciated and I am glad that are satisfied with your stay ..
It was pleasing to note that you felt we provided a great location and that our staff took good care of you. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team.
We look forward welcoming you back to Ariadne Beach.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

We have just returned from our holiday in the Ariadne Beach Hotel in Agios Nikolaos (look out, some of the reviews here are for a different hotel of the same name, but located in Stalida). The hotel offered wonderful accommodation - we were a family of four and got one of the new bungalows. The room was very spacious, new furniture, nice bathroom, balcony etc. If you´re not a family of four or bigger, you will probably be accommodated in the older bungalows, which are apparently not as nice - I guess they are quite small, but very clean from what I heard. So I guess I wouldn´t mind. The cleaner came every day, made the beds, cleaned the floor, brought new towels (maybe every other day I think). Nothing to complain about.

The staff was outstanding. The hotel is visited mostly by Czechs, Russians and Poles (I am Czech and my american husband was a great surprise for everyone), who are not always easy to please, but the staff was always smiling and trying to satisfy everyone. Particularly the waitress Monika was extremely nice to both parents and kids.

The food (we had all inclusive) was outstanding. My husband is a vegetarian and we find it quite difficult everywhere we go to get enough veggie options for him, but he was extremely happy here. Lots of salads to choose from, nice variety of the main dish and always fresh fruit and great desserts. Best food we had in a long time! The only down side might be a little over-crowded restaurant during lunch and dinner, but if you came 50 min. later you were fine and didn´t have to fight the hungry crowds. (don´t worry, they never ran out of food).

The beach was small but beautiful. There is a very small "beach" with stones right by the hotel - some people preferred this to the more crowded sandy beach. But I don´t suggest it for kids. It is good for a short morning swim if you don´t want to stay on the beach (well, there is not much of a beach there anyway). The sandy beach with fine sand is just a 5 min. walk with a beautiful view of the bay. Our 20 months old son was able to walk that distance, so really - not a problem at all. This beach is very pretty, sunbeds and umbrellas everywhere (2 Euros for the bed and 2,50 for umbrella - but you can just use your towels if you prefer). The sea is crystal clear and shallow for quite a while so you don´t have to worry about your kids. As we went at the end of June, it was nicely "lively" but not overcrowded. Once July hit, it got quite busy and also some people just can´t help themselves leaving garbage behind (especially smokers!). But overall the beach was clean and very pleasant with great water.

The hotel pool was also nice and very clean, there is a nice animation program in Czech/polish every night - great for kids but sometimes maybe too loud or disturbing for couples without kids. In that case, you can freely use the next-door hotel Miramare and quietly swim in the pool with a great view.

I can highly recommend this hotel. The area is beautiful (the town Agios Nikolaos is great fun in the evening and just beautiful during the day), the staff is friendly, I can hardly find any faults. Of course, there are people who are just not happy anywhere, but especially for families, this hotel is just great. We will be happy to return here next year, if we can.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool maybe a little noisy due to the animation program. Rooms on the upper levels are q...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Sarkicek

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review of your stay at the Ariadne Beach. I am extremely happy and proud to read that you found our staff helpful, you enjoyed the food and was pleased with your accommodation .I would also like to inform you and the other reviewers that all rooms at Ariadne Beach are recently renovated and vary only in size.
I have also taken on board your useful comments regarding the some times little over-crowded restaurant for future review.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Ariadne Beach and for recommending our hotel to other travelers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Agios Nikolaos
Mistral Mare Hotel
Mistral Mare Hotel
#27 of 97 in Agios Nikolaos
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Ariadne Beach? Share your experiences!