2,003 results
All reviews village pool the main hotel animation team dolphin bar shared pool evening entertainment sea view ag nik half board swim up bar lovely hotel great holiday mini bar water polo bungalow room all inclusive guests plenty of choice
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

First of all I want to highlight the positives. A lot of people on here complain about the staff being rude but from what I observed during my stay, the customers were the rude ones. The staff in the restaurant were always polite and by the end of our stay, would even have our drinks under way before we sat at our table. My parents had one of the bungalow rooms with a shared pool which was great...when they finally got settled into their 3rd room due to issues.

Now the negatives. First of all the issue with all inclusive. If you are used to 5* all inclusive resorts in the Caribbean etc, then you are in for a shock. You have the usual local drinks only but what you don't get is any form of food or drink past midnight included. Room service is extra. There is one a la carte restaurant which you can book once a week only. Having visited many all inclusive resorts over the years, this one was a real let down. The a la carte is only available on Monday to Friday (lobster night Saturday for a small fortune) and closed Sunday so your food choice was buffet or buffet. The buffet restaurant itself is too small for the resort when everyone has to eat in there and there were two nights we had to wait to even get a table.

Wifi is free but it is shocking. I found I had reasonable ability to connect in my room in the village but gave up in the bar or restaurant in the main building. The wifi needs a serious upgrade to be fit for purpose. The lobby is basically a teenage hangout as they all sit in the one spot that has good reception.

The air conditioning in our room worked fine to start but then lost efficiency and to even feel any cool air you had to put your hand against the vent. When maintenance came, he did treat me rather like a moron and tell me I had to turn it down. Surprisingly even when on 14C it was still like someone feebly blowing air at you. A second visit from maintenance later and it actually worked again. It would have been nice not to be spoken to like a fool in the first place.

The TV channels are very limited for English speakers. We were there during the olympics and had either one German or two Greek channels with it. In terms of English channels you can have the news, the news or old Hawaii 5-0 in the evening. The channels also seemed to randomly retune and lose signal which was slightly irritating.

The fact that this is a busy hotel leads to lots of check outs. My least favourite being the Russians who dragged everyone of their 4 cases down the two flights of stone steps directly outside my room after midnight with lots of loud Russian and laughter. Perhaps a 5* hotel should endeavour to collect all bags from rooms with a service to avoid this issue!

The pools were crowded and have very minimal shade. Air conditioning in public areas is lacking. The carpets in the building is badly stained. The vents in the restaurant don't look like they have been cleaned in years which is not a sight you want to see while eating.

Generally, not a 5* hotel at all. The last thing I will say is if they put you in room 766 then beware of the drain issues. It was my parents room on the first night...until raw sewage started flowing up and out of their bathroom. After all, everyone wants some hepatitis while on holiday from raw sewage flowing through your room! What did the hotel offer as compensation? An extra a la carte for my parents but only after the Thomson rep had spoken to them. Very, very poor. Certainly not a resort I would book into again.

5  Thank Vicki W
Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

Hi there,

Just finishing a two week holiday and felt compelled to write a review before I'd left. Came here last year and thought we'd try again but this year with a private pool. Unfortunately non paying guests also use the pool now and again so wasn't worth the extra £600. Two weeks all inclusive with a family of 4 cost me £6,400. Was cheaper than some of the other packages in Elounda.

Staff seem overworked and unhappy particularly in the restaurants - they really didn't act like they wanted to be here. Alcohol is so weak, beer has no effect whatsoever, wine is cheap and cocktails are not made well in general. The majority of guests seem to be Russian who don't always seem to have the same manners as the Brits...

However, some staff smile and do a great job like Marina and Ia in the Mermaid bar - they are a real asset to the hotel. Also the same with Ionna in the Village Pool bar and Manos and Nikos in the Tropical Bar.

The food is good quality and the rooms in the Village are good. Last year I had 724 which I would recommend for a family, this year was 720 with the pool.

The views of the bay are amazing - such a shame that the service level and alcohol quality let the hotel down completely. Too much focus on the bottom line unfortunately.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

Was treated to this fantastic resort as a surprise by my wife for my 30th.

The hotel and staff were fantastic. Food was great. Access to two beaches and 4 pools and numerous bar on the complex make this hotel a must visit for any guest.

Ignore any negative reviews on here as it seems that some folk can not be satisfied.

Will be retuning in the future.

1  Thank disco1986
Reviewed 24 August 2016

We stayed here all-inclusive in August and thoroughly enjoyed it. We upgraded to be able to get a sea view and ended up in the newer accommodation across the road, which seems preferable as you're away from the main hubbub of the hotel.

There's a good mix of many European nationalities: a lot of Russians, some Brits, German, Italian, French, Polish...

The food was excellent. If you want to try Greek-style food, you'll be very happy. Lots of fish cooked on the grill, stacks of fruit and veg, but also lots for fussier kids (and adults) too.

The local Cretan serving staff are very friendly, although we weren't always as impressed with the front of house staff. A little curt on occasions.

The pool over the road is lovely and much preferable to the one next to the hotel. Beach is nice, but quite exposed and you need to be up early to get a good spot!!!

Animation team are friendly and won't hassle you if you turn them down once.

The one other downside was that only one of the additional restaurants were open, despite them advertised in the given material on arrival.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

We walked into the reception area and was immediately impressed. Staff excellent - facilities excellent - food also excellent. Then as we made our way to our room along the very stained blue carpet in the hallway. Our room was basic and the bathroom was tired. Three star max. Beautiful views over the ma made bay. More disappointment followed, beds where two single beds pushed together and you had to bend your body around the perry ding springs- 1 star. The entertainment - OMG - it was so bad you had to watch it- I've never seen anything so bad in my entire life. In saying all this, I will go back.