“One of a kind”
Review of Pension Lena

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chania Town
Pension Lena
Ranked #81 of 115 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We walked from the bus station and Pension Lena is easy to find despite being in the beautiful old part of the city. It's a charming old, (very vertical) house with well designed updates. The room was large with a in-suite bathroom, (albeit without a shower curtain and though it pains me to say it, there was no hot water our second night there.)
The proprietor made us feel like old friends, and so did some of her somewhat eccentric guests. They were informative and encouraging regarding hiking Samaria Gorge. Breakfast on the rooftop includes fresh fruit, eggs and real coffee, and is a lovely start to the day.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2012

My old favourite Chania stop is now constantly booked so I am seeing many other hotels and guest houses. This is perhaps my favourite of them. I stayed in a single room for one night, which was pleasant and economical, but I felt like more space and moved into a double. The room was of a good size and full of charm. Furniture was antique - not Louis XV but local and very much in character with the setting - and included: a sofa big enough to spread out laptop and papers and work; a small desk for those who prefer to think upright; a table where 2-3 could eat. Air conditioning and wifi both worked perfectly.

The location is excellent: about as close as you can get to parking in Chania (though look out for the "local residents only" sign or you will be running around paying parking fines), and a very short walk to the old harbour. Around the corner are two good groceries which open to midnight or later and several decent-looking restaurants and cafes.

Lena is as charming as her apartments and very heplful with all the information you could need.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We stayed in one of Lena's houses for a week in June 2012. It was a lovely house and Lena herself is very friendly and informative. She also ordered our taxi for us when we left for the airport at the end of the week, which was much appreciated. We can highly recommend both Chania and Lena.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carole K
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I spent a week with Lena in her accommodation. Firstly she is a lovely lady, very friendly, helpful and genuinely interested in her guests having a comfortable time. She takes the time to talk to you and assist in any way she can which is important. Her accommodation was in a lovely central Chania location close to shops, bars and the beach, what more can you want. If there is noise at night what can you expect, Chania is a vibrant and lively city and the Greeks don't go to bed at 10 o'clock, if you want peace and quiet a city location is not for you. The premises were clean, beds in good condition and bedding clean, air con worked, and they had every necessary convenience and her tariff is very reasonable so I cannot recommend Lena highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank FLINTm138
Reviewed 22 June 2012

I discovered Chania on a very brief stop over a few years ago and have wanted since to come back and see if what I felt then, that I might like to make somewhere like Chania, the "Venice of the South', a second home, was real. I have had the opportunity now to do that, finding Pension Lena by accident and encouraged by the friendly reviews, moved here and stayed several weeks. Pension Lena has a quaint, personable atmosphere, which made me feel very much at home. It was easy to make new friends, of guests and locals, which I wanted to do, but I understand Lena has other houses where one could have a more private time if wanted. Pension Lena has a variety of types of accommodation to suit most needs and budgets, and I would have no problem in recommending it to anyone!

Room Tip: If you find a room you really like, try and stay at least a few nights so that you will have the mem...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2011

We have stayed with Lena several times, in the pension itself and also in two of the other houses she has to rent. Everything is very central and easy to reach no matter which property you stay in. They are decorated in a typical cosy fashion - no modern minimalistic cold feel ! Friendly helpful service from Lena herself. Read here on a previous report about cockroaches, sorry guys but sometimes these are part and parcel of life in crete, difficult little monsters to keep away 100% of the time, a trip to the supermarket and cheap spray soon sorts that problem!

All in all the standard and price of Lenas accomodation are very good and the service excellent! I would recommend this to anyone she has accomodation to suit everyone.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazelheather
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This is very tough to write because all the rest are good reviews and I don’t want to be that fussy snob who smashes the place so I’ll put it all out there and u decide for yourself. I didn’t personally meet Lena but my husband said she is lovely. She is very helpful and left us a note as we arrived late at night telling me to call her if I needed anything. The other guests also confirmed that she is terrific. I don’t for a second doubt that. I spoke to her once on the phone before we arrived and she was a joy to talk to. The good- there is a washing machine on the top floor. After traveling 2 weeks, that made my day. The house itself has a lot of character and it feels special. Old, rustic, comfortable. The price is very good. The bad and I hate to say it…. COCKROACHES! I woke up with a cockroach near me and I nearly had a heart attack. It was huge. We stayed 2 nights and after the cockroach incident, I woke my husband up and said we needed to move. The room itself is basic but has a small TV and coffee/tea making stuff. The bathroom is very small and difficult. The shower has no curtain so you end up getting water over the toilet, sink, and floor. You can’t avoid it. You can’t put anything in the bathroom as it will get soaked, including toilet paper. The bed was pretty bad. I could feel all the springs poking me. We put the spare comforter over the mattress, under the sheet, and that helped. The room was very hot and we couldn’t get the air going. If you’re young, on a budget, and not at all fussy, you’ll be happy here. Like I said, lots of good, however, if you care about the stuff I care about, this is not the place for you. We found a hotel next to the cathedral for just 20 euro more a night and we were very happy. Oh, there is no breakfast at Lena’s. I didn’t know that. I assumed there would be breakfast. However there are some cafes nearby to eat at but they are very expensive and mediocre quality. Best bet is to hit the little market and utilize the small fridge in the room.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple