“Beautiful Old Town Chania - perfect for a lazy break!!”
Review of Pension Nora

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chania Town
Pension Nora
Ranked #41 of 98 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Old Town Chania - perfect for a lazy break!!”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Pension Nora in Theotokopolou Street is the perfect place for a get away from it all break in the heart of the Venetian old town. I was looking for a place to relax and unwind, with plenty of local flavour and authentic sights to explore, and I found it here. From the local market on Thursdays to the tavernas, harbour and winding streets with little alleyways I had so much fun exploring. The owners were very helpful and made many suggestions for where to go and what to see. The Pension is really lovely and the room very comfortable and clean. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Solo_trips_11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
cumbria
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Me and my husband love crete and are so happy we found Chania and the Nora.It is everything you could want for a traditional place to stay.It is in about the best streat in Chania with everything you could want nearby,fantastic traditional tavernas and a great beach about 10mins walk away.We stop in one of the studios which have a very comftable double bed and good size kitchen area,we have also stopped in the rooms of the hotel so I must comment in the reveiw that said they had bed bugs,this I think would be highly unlickley as they are very very clean and the owner Eftikis takes pride in his pension I think it is more likely to have been mosquitos,I think this person did not get there own way so had sour grapes! as we say.We have booked again to go in sept for two weeks and cant wait to see Eftikis,Natalie and the two dogs Spurto and the great traveller Cooky!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank spangleCumbria
San Francisco, CA, USA
Reviewed 28 May 2010

We wandered into old town chania looking for a place to stay. We decided to stash one of us with the bags at cafe Mano while the other went wandering in search of a decent pension. The owner, who was in the cafe, offered to show us his rooms next door at pension Nora.

We fell in love with the place immediately. It is narrow with tall ceilings and windows and immaculately kept the owners obviously take pride in providing a clean and comfortable stay for their guests.

The walls are freshly painted and fresh flowers in vases dot the foyer and hallway. We took a triple room on the third floor with kitchenette and private bathroom. It is decorated simply but charmingly with woven Cretan textiles and framed pictures on the wall. Our tall, south-facing windows and adjacent balcony overlook the Mediterranean.

The owners provide free wireless Internet to their guests and had it repaired immediately when we told them that it only worked on the ground floor.

The owners are incredibly gracious and kind. They have answered our incessant questions and thoughtfully provided an informative binder full of their collective local wisdom that we have strongly benefited from.

Furthermore, they provide a cleaning service every other day to refresh sheets, towels, trash, and toilet paper. We are stunned by the remarkable hospitality and felt the least we could do is write a review!

The building is located on charming Theokopolou street in old town. It is a short walk to the beach, one street over from the harbor, and the central bus station is an easy ten minute walk. Laundry and pay phones are nearby. We like being slightly off the harbor as it is much quieter when we are ready to go to sleep.

The prices are very reasonable and we highly recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank i_am_aletheia
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 November 2009

we heard about pension nora from trip advisor postings and took a chance on this best kept secret in an excellent location by the harbor. our charming blue room had high ceilings, great views of a quaint street, and was in an old restored house. the few rooms shared a nice private balcony, which is a great place to have breakfast or an evening drink. you can't beat the 35 euro off-season price for the value and location. only drawback is sub-par plumbing (typical shower, etc.. in greece).

note if you are flying into chania, you'll need to take a cab to the hotel as there is only 1 or 2 buses a day. the cab is about 25 euro, so best to find a like-minded person to share a ride to the harbor and split the cost.

don't miss tamam restaurant, just down the street from the hotel and located in a former turkish hamam.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jamie K
florida
Reviewed 12 October 2009

this cozy little hotel is just steps up the street from the main parking area near the port in chania. easy walking to all the great restaurants, shops and maritime museum in old chania.. Natalie and Eftihis provide great rooms and service. there couldn't be a better value anywhere. we will definitely visit again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank buck2
Corona del Mar, CA
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I recently returned from a wonderful vacation in Greece for 17 days. I stayed in eight different hotels on various islands and cities, and the only one that was bad was Pension Nora. I was horrified to wake up one morning with bed bug bites all over my legs. I've traveled all over the world and even to third world nations and have never experienced bed bugs. The two story building is more than 100 years old and not well maintained. It was very noisy from street noise, and every time someone would come into the building, it was very loud. This pension is not clean and for 30 euros for a single room, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It was a very bad experience and the attitude of the manager Eftihis was very unprofessional. I then spent the night at Pension Anemonie down the street, and it was very clean and quiet for the same price. If you would like more details, please read on.

After a very long flight from California, I spent the night in Athens and then took a flight to Chania the next morning. I arrived at Pension Nora via taxi and spoke with the manager, Eftihis. I made my reservations about a month before for three nights. He informed me that I could stay in the studio room one night and then would have to move to another room. I was very tired and I said okay. The first night I stayed in the "Natalie" studio, which has a kitchenette and is very comfortable. I liked this room because it was clean and quiet. It turns out that this room (in a another building than the main building) belongs to Natalie who is Eftihis' girlfriend and she's from Scotland. She is very nice and helpful, and rents out this room. This is the room you see featured on their website. I asked the next morning if I could stay in this room and Eftihis said that I couldn't. He said I had to move because "it was better for his business to rent it to someone else." I felt this attitude was very negative. I decided that I didn't want to move to another hotel and would just move to the other room because I wanted to see the island. I was taken to the main building, which is the two story building that Eftihis manages and doesn't own. After waking up the next morning with bed bug bites, I would not stay a final night. I told him the problem, and he was mean and nasty to me (an even better reason to leave). This pension was recommended by people on various websites so I was all the more shocked at this bad experience. One last note: Old Town Chania area is the place that you want to stay because it's near the harbor and a lot of the shops and restaurants. There are many pensions on the same street as this one and in the area.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo