“Best Restaurant in Chania”
Review of Restaurant Doloma

Restaurant Doloma
Ranked #88 of 412 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sankt Augustin, Germany
“Best Restaurant in Chania”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Cheap good food. Tastes like good Greek home cooking. Nice place to be. Not only a tourist place. Good place in the middle of the old town.

• Visited July 2014

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Ely, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious Gem”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Back in March I went to Chania for the 1st time and came across To Xani taverna.It was quite chilly in the evenings so I sat inside which was fine because it was very authentic and had a nice atmosphere. The food was very good and Margy and Dimitri and the staff were all very friendly so when I went back in October the plan was to visit To Xani.

However before I went I read the restaurant reviews on Trip Advisor. One place that caught my eye was Doloma. It sounded just my sort of place so on my 1st night I gave it a try and I was not disappointed. It was everything I had expected and hoped it would be from the reviews I had read. If the words trendy, upmarket and sophisticated are your idea of Greece or you like being met in the street outside by a couple of waiters who, surprise surprise just happen to support the same football team as you then this place is not for you. If however typically Greek, rustic, laidback, unpretentious, bucolic and genuine Greek hospitality is more your thing then you really should give this place a try.

The only negative thing I would say about Doloma was the inside seemed a bit soulless and uninviting unlike To Xani. This was not a problem though because the evenings were still warm and I ended up eating outside on the terrace for the 4 nights I was in Chania and thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

I do have a theory as to why this taverna is not higher in the rankings than it is. I think the people who go there and enjoy it as much as I did, like it for what it is. A peaceful gem that may sometimes only be half full but that in itself is its appeal rather than being in a noisy, packed, cramped restaurant listening to mobile phones going off every 2 minutes. So unlike me they have decided to keep quiet about it.

Sorry to you people!

• Visited October 2013
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We ate here at lunch time today. A mix of English and Greek families occupied the tables on the terrace. We were invited inside to see the meals on offer plus various other items from the grill. We had a selection of mains meat, fish, pasta plus salad. We paid 84 € for 9 of us including drinks and free sweet pastries for dessert. Service was ok. Very friendly staff although limited English. Would definitely go back.

• Visited October 2013
Oakland, California
“The most excellent restaurant in Chania, Crete”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Every time I visit Chania, Crete I eat in Doloma Restaurant. In my opinion it is the best restaurant where you can eat authentic Greek and Cretan food. Everything there is home made and is made from fresh domestic ingredients whether it is a meal dish or a fish one, or vegetables. It is simple, but very homey atmosphere in the restaurant. It is also frequented by the locals. The owners Giannis and Marina are the warmest people I have ever met in Chania. I would recommend it without hesitation to my friends and acquaintances. This restaurant should have much higher rating on tripadvisor.

• Visited September 2013
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
“High quality, simple, charming management”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Keep it simple. I am a real food snob. I don't like pretension, I like integrity, quality, simplicity, decency. I found all of these, plus dinner for 5 adults and three kids for a more than worthwhile 85 euros at Doloma. We are only in Crete for a week, but already thinking of returning.

Visited August 2013