“Great hospitality, good food”
Review of Paradosiako

Paradosiako
Ranked #366 of 424 Restaurants in Chania Town
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Merksplas
“Great hospitality, good food”
Reviewed 10 March 2013 via mobile

George the owner showed us the way to our hotel. We were invited for a raki and a little later we were eating delicious fresh food. I tried the lamb which was very tasty, my collegues the fresh fish plate (oh so good!) and liver which was not our favorite. Unfortunately the restaurant is located in a narrow street without a nice view, but the enthousiasm and spontanity of the owner made it for us a unique experience

• Greek first
  • Polish first
“Lunch in Chania Crete”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This Taverna is not on the old harbour of Chania, but close by. This means that it does not suffer from being packed with tourists and consequently the service is more attentive and personal. My husband and I had a lovely lunch here. I had kleftiko, which was heaven on a plate and my husband had a delicious greek salad. The 1/2 litre of house wine was excellent, as was the wonderful home baked bread. The owner/waiter, could not have been more hospitable or more pleased to have us eat at his taverna. The whole experience was delightful. Chania is a wonderful old town, and has hundreds if not thousands of restaurants, many of which are too touristy for our taste. Taverna Paradosako is one of the exceptions. The owner still demonstrates the old-fashioned Cretan hospitality and Raki and fruit came at the end of the meal our delicious meal, as a gift from him.

• Visited September 2012
Harrogate, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Paradisiac food (and I've tried many Chania restaurants)”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

HOW WE DESCOVERED THE RESTAURANT AND THE FIRST IMPRESSION

I've eaten at Tamam, Semiramis, Ella, two restaurants in the Venetian port and one close to the ship docs with live music of which names I don't remember and other few which aren't really worth mentining, and I can tell you that whoever rates this restaurant, Paradosiako, poor is either a hunter of international cuisine in a luxury decorated environment or a fopish.
The waiter hooked us the first night (we had accomodation close to the street) and even though we hate beeing hooked by waiters, this one seemed diferent - the kind of friendly person with wise look and soundly humane character. We were looking for a desert so he politely indicated us another restaurant close-by if we wanted desert: "I only serve traditional food", the words came with kind of a sincere regret, like he would have given us the desert for free if he had any. :) This really made me like the man.
Anyway, during our stay we ate in diferent restaurants in Chania and we liked the food, though in many of them the food seemed too often excesivey oily. However we were thinking that before we go, we should eat at his place. So in the last day we returned to eat here. The terrace is nice as is the view of the street, but don't expect the ellegance in the port. I would define the ambiance rather cosy, intimate and quiet. Perfect to dine.

THE FOOD

Here was my choice to try the traditional greek grilled Octopus. For those who like seafood, I can tell you it was absolutely delicious (maybe not hit by the rocks to become tender - as it is said that is traditionaly coooked -, but definetely delicious - I had only once before eaten a grilled octopus in Thesaloniki, and can not compare with the taste of this one). So I'm not an expert but I can tell you what, my darling young wife (we were on honeymoon by the way :) ), which is usualy not fond of seafood and actually jokes around with me making faces when I order something out of the sea, actually stole quite some bit out of my plate, happy like a child. :) Me quite astonished but very glad she finally liked something out of the sea.
Then, for the second plate we chose a mixed plate for two - even though our host initialy insisted to order the fish plate (and he only does this because they have only fresh fish and is a pity to let it expire on the stock). We would have oordered that but already had eaten fish the other day so we wanted to try something else.
The mixed plate for 2 was in my opinion imense (now, Eva doesn't eat much but this time she really "tasted" some). Delicious meatballs, vegetable balls, some pork with sauce and clove, courgette pane, stuffed vine leaves, the best mousaka and boureki (oh, we ordered a boureki in the port and thought we would never ever in our life order boureki again - horrible plate, but if I tell you there was nothing left out of the Paradosiako boureki, imagine the diference!) everything absolutely aromated like nowhere in Chania. A combination of tastes and flavours (for exemple the combination of pork with clove, or the meatballs with calamint, or the surprisingly falvoured stuffed vine leaves - i don't know what they put in them) it was EXTRAORDINARY. It was for the first time in Chania that i felt i tasted some powerful traditional cretan taste (the flavours mix in the food was perfect).
I liked the food here so much that i could never run out of words to describe it. I don't doubt that the food is cooked to suit the turists' taste, like everywhere else but is the closest taste to traditional. It really convinces you.
If you were on a trip to Chania and you'd ask me, I would tell you: "Don't go eat in the venetian port every night, try once or twice at most for the landscape, and then try Tamadosiako m, Semiramis, Ella, but under no circumstances, DON'T MISS PARADOSIAKO."
So if ever in Chania, Paradosiako is worth the money and the experience and try to find hidden restaurants on the streets rather tha eat in the port or in the most marketized places because they have tasty international way of cooking, but the best traditional and flavoured food you will find in anonimous tavernas, that don't suffer much marketing.

I wish you all the best!

P.S.: Never tried the wine here, but for those who like rose wine i can recommend the Ella restaurant house rose wine. Very nice!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank cocosila
Chania Town, Greece
“REALLY... FRESH FISH”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Fresh fish, normal prices, wonderful location, traditional cooking, relaxing enviroment!

Visited September 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food Friendly service”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The seafood was fresh and authentic, The server even included free wine with our meal. Very inexpensive, filling and worth it. There are many restaurants in old chania town that just serve food because there are people who will buy it, But this place actually cared how it tasted.

• Visited September 2011