“Excellent food. Great value. ”
Review of Chrisostomos

Chrisostomos
Ranked #41 of 490 Restaurants in Chania Town
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food was great and the staff were lovely. Try to reserve a table so you can sit outside - seems a bit nicer than sitting inside. The bread is so good, the moussaka is excellent and we had the mutton which was amazing (mutton may not be the best for the less adventurous as there were quite a few small bits of bone but it tasted great and the sauce was fantastic). The complimentary pudding of doughnut thingies were also great and we were stuffed by the time we left. Overall was less than 40 euros and we had half a litre plus another glass each of house white. Definitely recommend. Totally worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,217)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My first language is English and all I can think is they don't want tourists as we sat there like idiots even when we made eye contact to call them over. It was recommended by our hotel as a place to get authentic Greek in nice portions but after waiting 20 minutes for a table then another 20-30 sitting there with just water.. no one came back ever to let us order and we actually just walked out and no one cared or tried to stop us. We sat in the most frontal area of the restaurant and they served all the local greeks around us to our amazement. They even cleaned a table beside us. I've never felt more angry at a restaurant in my life. Don't waste your time and go somehere where you are valued.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

All the dishes over here, that we tried, were very high quality in terms of freshness and taste. Here are some of our favourite dishes. The Lamb in Wine Sauce was outstanding and it was extremely tender and the fries which came with it were a great addition.The Rolled Pork was scrumptious as it was tender and the whole dish had a great flavour to it. The Sfakian Cheese Pie was really delicious and interesting, as we had never seen this dish before.The sweet honey and the creamy cheese really created a perfect preparation. It was an never to forget experience which you will not find anywhere else. A small positive we had to mention was the bread, it was absolutely amazing as it tasted fresh and homemade, something which is hard to find nowadays. Overall, we would really recommend coming here when you are in Chania.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly I never leave a bad review unless I have been treat appallingly.
I am disabled and use a scooter , I booked a table here on the advice of the Hotel we were staying for a
Surprise for our 39th wedding anniversary, having travels to Crete for over 32 years I can honestly say we find the people of Crete the friendliest people there is we have was an at some of the finest Taverns and lots of the lovely basic Taverns on Crete, but on this occasion when we Visited here I was treat with utter contempt . We arrived on time for our booking as we had booked in advance I did make a point in asking for a table on the ground floor as it is impossible for me to climb stairs, so the person taking my booking told me we would be sat on the ground floor near the window. As I was locking my scooter up my wife went into the entrance of the Taverna only for a women to push by her with her Husband beckoning to the waiter that they would have the table near the window for two as I struggled to enter the building my wife told the waiter we had booked a table to witch he replied we were to sit upstairs , my wife told the waiter we had booked for 2 downstairs to witch he replied they were full . The couple who pushed in front of my wife clearly hadn't booked and had taken our table, people in the room were clearly under this impression as several persons told the waiter and the couple this but the couple refused to move and go upstairs, I told the waiter he should be ashamed of himself but he had the gawl
To say he no speak English, as if, we left not happy at all, people even followed us outside one chap even told us he would phisycaly remove the for said couple but my wife and I didn't want any trouble ,
And went on our way.
It seems to me if you are disabled this establishment don't want you in here ! As I did on that night send a message on messenger voicing my concerns of how we had being treated .
It's now over a month ago and still I have no reply, so my advice to anyone who is disabled or have a family member who is disabled and are planning to visit here, be warned personally I think there is much more friendlier places to visit in Chania.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate dinner here two nights we enjoyed it so much. The bar staff at our hotel told us about this restaurant and also told us that many of the locals dine here often. We were very satisfied with the preparation and quality of the food here. We like lamb and do not get to eat it often but they have several lamb dishes to choose from. The lamb prepared in parchment paper was a favorite of mine. It is located to the parking lot side of the Porto Veneziano Hotel. Very charming place. Service was excellent. We had Socrates two nights for our waiter. Prices very reasonable. Complimentary dessert and Raki after dinner. It does get busy later in the evening with locals and families dining. Saw that many tables were reserved while thete.