“Alcanea in Chania is the newest hotel in town”

Alcanea Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 102 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Bedminster, New Jersey
“Alcanea in Chania is the newest hotel in town”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Having worked in the luxury boutique hotel industry, you could say I tend to be a pain in the tush customer with very high expectations. Especially when staying at the most expensive place in town (or close) - Everything at the Alcanea during my recent six day trip to Chania in Crete pretty much guarantees I will be back there as often as possible and here's why.

This recently-renovated property has the best location on the harbor. Not much they can do about that - luck of the draw - but their proximity to the lighthouse and remoteness from the hub of action downstairs are plusses.

The inside of the place is spotless clean and feels "fresh" from the minute you walk in. I had room VI - the one with a private terrace overlooking the lighthouse and harbor entrance. Simply spectacular and very large. All amenities were there, including wi-fi thankfully (included in the rate). The only thing I would add is a coffee machine (breakfast starts at 8AM) and drinks/juices/booze in the minibars.

The staff are as nice as I've ever seen in Greece (had never been to Crete but travelled extensively to other parts of Greece in the past) and genuinely helpful. Thanks to Natasa for setting up a private boat trip for me by calling on some connections - that was very cool.

Everyone else was highly attentive, fluent in multiple languages, good looking, and very helpful. Huge plus if you ask me. Breakfast: is an experience to look forward to at Alcanea - Try the feta cheese omelette - tell em I sent ya!

At night the terrace/bar are opened until 2AM and well populated. Good experience there.

So to wrap up, if you have the budget and want to experience a genuine Cretan experience, this is the place to be. I hope to be back there before the end of the year. The place kinda grows "homey" on you after a while. They really DO try harder and it shows!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JeromePineau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Copenhagen
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This small hotel is perfectly situated at the end of the Chania, Crete, old harbor front. It overlooks the entire harbor, but is away from the noisy night life of the harbor cafes and restaurants. The hotel has only a limited number of rooms; we booked a Superior Double, but was offered a free upgrade to a Suite. This was excellent in all ways (although only a very large room with a double bed and a sofa / chair / lounge section, but a really great bath room). One particular advantage of this hotel is the exceptionally kind and warm hotel receptionists who took care of us and promptly arranged our often difficult wishes of car reservations, tours / excursions and advise on local trips and sites. Also, the breakfast was notable, served in front of the hotel (inside, in case it's to hot outside), with everything freshly made and arranged. As said, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Check at the arrival (or before at the hotel's booking site) if there are rooms free. The staff...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RBJensen
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 11 July 2011

On July 3rd, 2011 my wife and I found ourselves hunting for a hotel on Crete's popular Old Town Chania Venician port.

As these hotels don't have elevators (nor would you want to ruin their charm with one) my sore back and my wife's unsettled stomoch weren't about to deal with hunting from hotel to hotel, not to mention loads of steps to get to upper floor rooms.

Fortunately, we were referred to the Alcanea Boutique Hotel by one of it's competitors who didn't have a room for us. But as Creten's are warm and friendly, not to mention most hospitable, these little hotels in old Chania work with each other to keep business close and customers happy.

We were greeted warmly by a staff of 2 ladies and one gentleman who were happy to show us the room they had. It was on what we in the states call the second floor (in Europe, it's the first floor as you enter at ground level). They staff told us this hotel had only been opened a couple of months due to a remodel and the building was 400-500 years old.

Upon entering the room, I lost my wife who's eyes at this point were as wide open with joy as I've ever seen. It was a huge room that made the wonderfully comfortable king size bed look small. The very high ceilings (I'm guessing over 12 feet) were supported by tastfully painted walls. The floor, which I'm guessing were the original wide wooden planks had been painted in a very dark brown but no sanding to cover the age old wear and divots left from hundreds of years from use were a charm to walk on.

At this point, I need to mention this was the most comforable bed and pillows I've ever slept on in Greece, bar none! Then you wake up the next morning feeling well rested to enjoy being served a wondrful breakfast made for you from a list you've picked from the night before, included fresh fruit, fresh squeezed juice and freshly cooked food.

There were also plenty of power sockets to accomodate any travler's power or recharging needs, something a little hard to find in much of Europe.

The long bathroom was also an eye opener. Who ever kept a warm Venician appearence to the hotel and surrounding didn't want you to forget this is the 21st Century. A modern vanity surrounded a world class bathroom sink and faucet leading to a modern, roomy comfortable shower to wash off Crete's warm somewhat humid climate. There were plenty of towel hooks to hang all your 'stuff' on as well.

In the blink of an eye that took us to say we'd stay, the staff (ladies mind you) grabbed our 3 over 50 lb bags plus 2 carry-on's and insisted on taking them to our new digs. I've never had this service before. Everyone could not have made our stay more comfortable then what we experienced at Alcanea. They even took great joy in helping me with my lousy Greek... wonderful teachers.

Ok, so I've gotten carried away. Well, I should.

This hotel is a value. Crete's Alcanea Boutique Hotel should be on your list of places to stay on your next trip to Chania. Thank you Staff....one and all.

R.T. & L.T.

Room Tip: Be open to using some stairs. You'll understand why.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ralphthegreek
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Alcanea right near the harbour is one of the classiest boutique hotel in old town.
İt is an atmospherical 17th century Venetian Mansion,respectfully transformed in to an
exclusive hotel.The setting is gorgeos and the wiev are fantastic too.
The manager, Aliki, was very friendly and hospitality and the staff were very attentive
and friendly.
We loved our two night stay and also town of Chania. Alcanea is everything and more
than you could ever want...
Dont miss it !!...
Ayşen, İstanbul

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
wyoming
Reviewed 5 July 2011

This newly renovated palazzo has spacious rooms, very high ceilings and modern bathrooms. The views to the sea are fantastic. Great service too! Wish we stayed longer. Parking is two blocks away.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank 1der
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 20 June 2011

i have stayed in many hotels in crete but this is the most friendly and well
located. the views are wonderful. because of the unique location, they have
managed have 3 differing views, one of the port, the castle and the lighthouse.
rooms and bath facilities are spacious. decor is excellent, bar is fully
stacked and service very friendly

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Bodo, Norway
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We arrived in Chania on a business trip in late May. After searching for a place with good atmosphere, I spotted Alcaena Hotel.The nearly renovated building was having a reopening the weekend we arrived.The friendly staff made it possible for us to stay
there for the opening day.Tasteful rooms where they had been able to preserve the old
building with a modern look. Lastly, I warmly recommend the serviceminded staff .They
did everything to make sure that we were having a good time.
I recommend Alcaena to everyboody............Tom from Norway.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business