“The hotel took the money and refused to accomodate me”

Alcanea Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 115 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 August 2013

In April 2013 I booked for July 2013 Alcanea Boutique Hotel in Chania, Greece. They charged my credit card. When I arrived to the hotel the administration pretended that they had no idea about my booking. I showed them their emails where they confirmed that they had charged my credit card. Then they addmited that they had cancelled my booking and hadn't notify me. They didn't offer me help to find and equal place and placed me in an aweful appartment where the owner hasn't finished repair with no wifi or any comfort for the same price as their hotel. They also didn't offer me any compensation for cancelling and discomfort and spoiling my holiday, I had to fly away to another place with losing money but at least having a nice place to stay. Don't risk your holidays, avoid this place, they won't care about you if they put you into trouble. I have only one regret that I hadn't called the touristic police to help me in this situation.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Natalia K
Alcanea, Manager at Alcanea Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear Mrs. Natalia K,

Your review really took us by surprise. Please allow us to point out the facts that took place during your visit in July.

As soon as you walked in the hotel we realised that due to a technical problem in our reservation system unfortunately your booking was the only one that could not be retrieved.

We immediately offered to find you accommodation and we did at the Fagotto rooms. You had booked Room III (our smallest room, 10 sqm for 65 euros per night) and you were allocated in a brand new suite, 55 sqm, 130 euros per night, right next to the Alcanea, with your concession.

The Alcanea paid the difference of the total accommodation amount, you made use of all the facilities of the Alcanea (WiFi) plus complimentary breakfast of your choice.
We also covered the cost of the airticket to your next destination with pleasure!

We did our best to find a solution in the most professional way and we are really sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

On your next visit to Greece, we would be more than glad to have you stay with us and offer you the best of Cretan hospitality!

All the Best. The Alcanea team

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Anastasia looked after us so well on our stay here for 2 nights. Our room was romantic and had wonderful high ceilings and a balcony over looking the harbour. The breakfast was amazing with many choices, but you must try the goat cheese pie, we tried a few different versions whilst in Crete and Alcanea's was our absolute favourite! Everyone was so helpful and we are very happy we organised a car through them as it worked out a much better deal for us. Cafe's and restaurants are a short stroll away. We stayed with a toddler and they were very good at accommodating us. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Room with a view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The Alcanea sits in a prime position overlooking the picturesque port of Chania and it's superb location is matched only by the friendliness and hospitality of it's staff. This lovely boutique hotel forms a natural link between the Venetian harbour and the labyrinth of bustling back streets that make Chania such a special place. With breakfasts to die for, luxury rooms and a staff team that puts customer care at the forefront of it's operation, there can be few better ways of soaking up the charm, ambience and very special character of one of Europe's better kept secrets. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Great place right on the port with friendly staff and excellent service. Breakfast was great and very fresh. Everything was freshly made and had the taste of Crete.The location is very attractive and there plenty of taverns to enjoy the Cretan cuisine.The rooms, the air conditioner and the bathroom are excellent.Do not hesitate to ask the staff for anything. They are extremely friendly and helpful.Ask the where to eat and you get the best recommendation. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms with the view of theport are the best
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Alcanea for 4 nights this past June during our trip to Crete. I don't even know where to begin. The hotel is stunning, the location is FANTASTIC (right on the Old Port, but on the opposite end of the loud touristy district. BUT if you DO want to go to that district, it's not even a 5 minute walk away!)
Breakfast was amazing! Service was perfect (the staff even helped us with our bags all the way from our car, which was parked about 10 minutes away, in 105 degree weather, by the way).

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels, and I have NEVER stayed in such a perfect hotel like the Alcanea. The prices are very reasonable, and even very cheap for what you are getting. An amazing value! We were very sad to leave this place. Great restaurants in the area (like the Kalderimi at the corner... speak to Niko or Petro at the restaurant for some great suggestions!) and the hotel staff gives great directions for the best beaches in Crete.

I can go on and on and on

And ON AND ON AND ON AND ON on how great this place is. I would HIGHLY recommend the Alcanea to any traveller. Chania is a beautiful area of Greece, and the beauty, service, and convenience of this hotel helped make our trip very memorable in many positive ways!

Room Tip: There are different types of rooms, but we just took a standard double room and we still loved it. D...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank eagermike93
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently spent two nights at Alcanaea, and were very pleased we had made the choice to stay there. The location is perfect - in the Old Town on the harbor, but at the quiet end, which was perfect for our needs.
Stayed in Room 5 (I think), which was a tiny room up two flights of stairs. It had soaring ceilings, a modern bathroom, and lovely windows. We knew it was small when we booked it, and it was fine for our needs, but would recommend a room on a lower floor if you have any mobility issues, and possibly a larger room if you are staying for a longer period.
The service was wonderful, and we were treated very kindly and warmly by the staff.
Breakfast outdoors was a highlight, with lots of choices, beautiful views, and a helpful server.
We received advice on what to see, where to dine, etc., and were also given a complimentary bottle of wine, which was very much appreciated. Thank you, Alcanea!!! We recommend Alcanea for your stay in Chania - it's perfect!

Room Tip: Splurge for a harbor-view room. We didn't, but if we returned (which we hope to do some day), w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SenoritaSuzieCapeCod
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Alcanea Boutique Hotel has all charms of my understanding of luxury: located in the amazing old building with more than 400years, in the Venetian Port if Chania, offers 8 different rooms - all with amazing views and design. You can feel the personal touch of the 3 great friends from Athens who create the atmosphere of this magic place: worth to come for a day or a week - doesn;t matter how long you stay you can be sure that the place stays in your heart forever. Additionally amazing breakfasts!
you can find my photos: http://intopassion.pl/alcanea-boutique-hotel-uroczy-jak-samo-miasteczko-chania-na-krecie/

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends