“tiny little guesthouse but superb location, and decent price”
Review of Smaragdi Studios

Smaragdi Studios
Reviewed 8 August 2014

this tiny (perhaps about 4 rooms or so) guesthouse is situated on a beautiful little street in the beautiful VENETIAN PORT section of the island. there is a small market right across the street. the girl who manages the rooms was a very nice person.....but most important was the location. truly gorgeous Chadian Venetian port.

Room Tip: there are only a few rooms and as long as the room is not on the street it will be quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Smaragdi Studios

Reviewed 3 June 2014

On arriving to this street in the old town, my partner and I instantly went 'wow'. It certainly is the best street in Chania, narrow alleyways, balconies, cobblestone, atmosphere and even a piano accordion player below. We had room 23 which was the upstairs one facing the street with balcony. We lucked that one. The bus drop off from the airport was about 5 mins walk. One problem, the shower headset didn't attach to the wall, Georgia rectified it straight away.
If I had to suggest one thing, that would be not to have the room serviced every day as I disagree with towels being laundered and sheets changed when they don't need to be. I said to Georgia not too but she insisted. I mean, the place is clean and tidy anyway, just saying.

Room Tip: Try and get room 23, its upstairs and has a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ginga40
Reviewed 23 March 2014

If you're looking for somewhere cheap, this is the place! The owner Georgia was so kind and hospitable. Her mother, who does not speak English, insisted on carrying my overpacked, heavy suitcase up 2 flights of stairs even after I insisted she didn't. My sister and I stayed in the "girl" room, which had an ensuite bathroom. Located on the cutest street in Europe. There was this breakfast place across the street that we ate at every morning. Owned by this guy who after we ordered our food, went to the market down the street to buy us the best bacon. Georgia even provided us a location to store our luggage so we could walk around on our last day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank AlannaM1989
Reviewed 20 September 2013

When you stay at Smaragdi Studios in Old Town Chania, you feel like you're part of a quaint, friendly neighborhood. The street has small markets, cafes and friendly people. Georgia was not there but a neighbor, Yianny, welcomed me and made sure I had what I needed. He told me the next day that Georgia had just had a baby ! Her husband, Nikos came by the day before I checked out. I had a very early flight the next morning and was concerned about getting to the airport, and my luggage down the steep stairs of my 2nd floor room. Despite being a new father, Nikos picked me up at the crack of dawn, carried my luggage, and delivered me to the airport in plenty of time. Such great service, you couldn't ask for more.
My room was 22 in the back. It's comfortable with a double bed, air conditioning and ensuite bathroom. This is a no frills accommodation, and very easy on the budget. The room is cleaned daily. The location is perfect...in the middle of charming Chania, walkable to the harbor and a city beach as well as to the bus station for trips to other parts of the island.You could spend many idyllic hours sitting on this street at one of the cafes when you're not off exploring Crete.
The warmth of the people, the service of the owners and the great location make budget friendly Smaragdi a good choice for a wonderful Chania experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank octsky
Reviewed 16 August 2013

You will be received by Georgia a very helpful girl who is one of the best things of this place.
Smaragdi is situated in one of the most central and typical street of old town of Chania.
We stayed in the studio apartment which had two entrance, a very big double bed, kitchen with 2 flames, fridge, small table for 2 people and she gave us some products (as oil, salt, tuna...) to use freely!
In the wardrobe there were 2 ombrella for sun, there is a tv and air conditioner included!
The bathroom doesn't have the windorw but there is fan and the shower is without awning.
The room is cleaned every day.
The only bad things are the noisy neighbours (in front of the door).
The price, Giorgia and the location are wonderful!
I really recommend it!

Room Tip: I stay in the studio apartment near the room 21 and it was really cute!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Easy1983
Reviewed 4 August 2013

In our opinion Smaragdi location is the best you can find in Chania: narrow, charming old street close to the old harbour. If you have the car park in Talo Square. Georgia is professional and helpful for everything. The room we had was on the backside, cosy and colorful. we had breakfast in the cafe in front of smaragdi, we sufìggest it

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We have spent 3 nights there in April.

First all the good things:

the owners are super nice, we were in touch long before arrival, got good directions on how to get there and were welcomed nicely upon arrival at night. On the last day we were able to stay in the room until 5 p.m. so we could refresh after a whole day sightseeing before our evening flight.

The price is god, we have paid 30Euro per night per double with kitchenette and a bathroom.

The location is perfect. In the old town, walking distance everywhere, close (10min walk) to the beach and 3 min. walk to the Venetian Harbor. Lot’s of good restaurants nearby.

The cons: the plumbing system in the building is very noisy so you can hear the water flushing at all other rooms. The bathroom door in the room were harmonica-like and very thin which causes privacy issues. The room was quite dark, with back entrance to the back-ally, definitely not “a terrace outside to eat if you want out” as it was described via email.

Overall – a decent budget place, no-frills type. Great if you need a place to sleep in the central location and plan to spend most of time outside. If you are looking for a romantic getaway – you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple