“Charming, First-class Boutique Hotel Experiences”

Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 110 Hotels in Chania Town
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming, First-class Boutique Hotel Experiences”
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Casa Delfino is a first-class, boutique hotel in Chania. The location is right off the main walkway of the port and accessible to the restaurant scene, historical sites and shopping attractions of Chania. The staff is so attentive, kind and accommodating. They go out of their way to provide a pleasant experience and offer excellent recommendations regarding restaurants and activities near Chania. It is a beautiful property that has been family-owned for 6 generations. The quaint courtyard where homemade local breakfast dishes are served daily is unique and a very special experience. The rooms are pristinely clean and well-maintained with comfortable beds and all the amenities you would need. I have stayed there 3 times in the last 4 years, and I have brought family and friends on each visit. Everyone raves about this hidden gem of a hotel and would return in a heartbeat. It truly added character and a sense of comfort to the wonderful trips we have taken in Chania.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jtg1223

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Chicago
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The rooms, the service, the homemade breakfasts, the perfect location are all amazing! But they don't compare to the passionate and flawless service that everyone there showers on the guests. Best service I've ever encountered. You truly, truly make you feel like you're at home. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank AlexiGChicago
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

As a Cretan who lives abroad I try to come back with my family every year and spend a couple of days in the magnificent old town before moving to stay with relatives. It is my annual treat and as such this is the most important time of the year for my family. For the last 4 years I stayed at Casa Delfino and I absolutely loved it!

This last summer I decided, upon a friend's recommendation, to try something different. Recently the old town of Chania has experienced a wave of refurbished old Venetian houses turned into small boutique hotels. Most of them are aesthetically appealing and their small size (4-7 rooms/suites) makes them intimate. I stayed in such a hotel this year and while the room (and the view) was nice I still missed the one thing that makes Casadefino shine above the rest: a small army of educated, good looking and constantly smiling service-minded employees that bend backwards to make your stay memorable, ensure all your needs and wishes are met, come out at the parking lot to carry your luggage, book the best tables at the best restaurants even at very short notice and wherever you mention you are staying there you get treated like local royalty.

The rooms (especially the suites) and their facilities are second to none but it is their service which I mostly missed this last time I did not stay with them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had fantastic holiday in Chania made even more special by the team at Casa Delfino.
The hotel is of a very high standard but very relaxed, informal and friendly. The roof terrace is superb but easily missed and the spa facilities a bonus. Breakfast (organic) in the courtyard was the highlight of our day …so relaxing!!
The hotel team at Casa Delfino provided really good advice on places to eat and to visit. It was my wife’s birthday while we were away and we had cake and complimentary drinks on at least two if not three nights.
Casa Delfino is small but very special place made more so by the staff team.

Room Tip: ours (R23) had its own terrace - almost like a second room. A/C was very good at third floor level...
4 Thank TE_HE89
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Casa Delfino for four nights in early June 2014. We wanted to base ourselves in the Chania old town, rent a car, and explore western Crete during the days. The old town is completely closed to cars so, per the recommendations of the hotel, we parked our rental in a nearby lot outside of the restricted traffic zone. Upon arriving, the hotel arranged for a golf cart to meet us at the parking lot, load our bags, and whisk us through the streets of old town Chania to the Casa Delfino. For someone who had never been to Chania, this was extremely helpful since the old town is like a labyrinth.

THE HOTEL: Situated in an old Venetian mansion in the heart of old town, Casa Delfino is one of the nicest and best-preserved properties in Chania. I sometimes saw tourists approach the hotel just to peer into the courtyard. There are a myriad of shops and restaurants within (very) short walking distance, including Chania's picturesque harbor. Despite its age, there is nothing old-feeling about the hotel. From the street, you enter a large, well-manicured courtyard with a number of white-marble tables and chairs. During down time, my wife and I spent significant time in the courtyard where we would utilize the hotel’s free (and fast) WiFi while sipping a cocktail from the bar and eating a snack from the kitchen (both located adjacent to the courtyard). Off of the courtyard is the hotel lobby, always stocked with beautiful flowers. There were several other rooms off of the courtyard, including a small breakfast buffet room, which was included with our rate and included made-to-order hot food options. Throughout the hotel, there are numerous displays of the local art and sculpture, which compliment the authentic Cretan feel of the property. Up an elevator, the hotel has a relatively large rooftop deck with lounge chairs, tables, and large umbrellas for shade. The WiFi worked great up there and the staff brought our drinks and food up there as well. From the rooftop, you have great views of the Chania harbor and surrounding area.

OUR ROOM: Being that it is a Venetian mansion, there are several corridors of rooms. Our room was up some stairs from the courtyard. But there is another corridor of rooms that is accessible by elevator if stairs are not manageable for you. The room at the Casa Delfino was by very nice and very spacious. The bathroom had marble fixtures and a multiple-jet Jacuzzi. The room had a digital thermostat and comfortable king-sized bed. Upon arriving, there were multiple local treats to greet us, including Cretan bread rusk, cookies, and a complimentary bottle of local olive oil. The room had a classic feel and we were very pleased.

THE STAFF: Everyone at the Casa Delfino was friendly and welcoming. Early on during some downtime in the courtyard, we were greeted and got to know the hotel manager, Margarita, very well. Margarita is the embodiment of everything you would want and expect from the face of a hotel you are staying at: accessible, generous, helpful, professional, courteous. She and her staff helped guide us to two of the most amazing beaches my wife and I have ever been to: Balos Bay and Elafonissi. The concierge told us about specific foodplaces on our long journey through the Cretan mountainside to stop at, which were all fantastic. Margarita made a number of personal restaurant recommendations during our stay that were all wonderful. Overall, from the concierge to the porter to the bartender, the staff at Casa Delfino were outstanding.

THE SPA: The spa is located through a corridor off of the courtyard and is meant to be used privately by one or two people at a time. My wife and I made reservations for two hour-long massages at the spa, and upon arriving, my wife received a free upgrade including a facial treatment. The main room of the spa is tranquil and modern with all of the usual accouterments. What made this spa special was the masseuses they hired and the prices for the various treatments. The masseuse who treated me was a licensed physical therapist with significant experience. While this, on its own, did not make much of a difference to me because I was not in need of physical therapy, the massage was among the best I’ve ever had. What made the massage even more rewarding was the prices, which were very reasonable compared to many of the other luxury hotels we stayed at throughout our honeymoon.

BOTTOM LINE: Casa Delfino is a fantastic hotel with a great staff and exceptional general manager, Margarita, who takes great pride in the hotel and ensures that your stay is memorable. It is very rare to find this type of total package in a hotel, and we were thrilled with our choice. The highest of recommendations for those thinking about staying here for their next trip to Chania!

2 Thank Matthew H
Athens
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I ve been to Chania Crete several times, since it s one of my favourite destinations in Greece. Of course i had heard about this hotel, i had seen its beautiful courtyard from the outside and it was my dream to stay there. When my fiance and i decided we needed a short vacation, i checked Casa Delfino' s praising reviews and i instantly booked.

Every single thing this hotel had to offer met our expectations.
- It is located at the best part of Chania' s old town. Just go upstairs on the rooftop to discover that this is simply the best spot of the whole city.
- We were having the most delicious, homy breakfast at the atmospheric, "from another era" courtyard. (you just want to sit there for hours!)
- We had the most relaxing massage twice (the spa area is new and simply unique)
- Our suite had a very old and authentic marble hamam! (but i dont think many rooms have that)
- The stuff is always there to help with every little thing you may need.
- Design, luxury, wonderful staff, serenity, very spacious room, great mattress, even an electric vehicle to take you and your luggage from the pedestrian alley to your taxi!!!

2 Thank Vassilis S
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from a ten day holiday in Crete, during which time we spent six days in Casa Delfino, conveniently located in the historic harbour area of Chania.
On arrival, we were immediately impressed by the quirky vehicle which transported us and our luggage from a nearby car park, along a pedestrianised street, to the hotel. This is an ingenious solution to a situation where car parking is not permitted in the conservation area. After being 'checked in' by courteous, helpful staff we were escorted up a marble staircase to a spacious, immaculate, light and airy suite with a view of the harbour and lighthouse from the large windows. Just perfect!
We particularly liked the central courtyard, which certainly has a special atmosphere that needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated. Photographs do not do it justice. After choosing breakfast from a wide range of organic produce and freshly baked sweets, it was so relaxing to sit in this beautiful, peaceful space and simply enjoy the ambience. La dolce vita!
The excellent ratings for Casa Delfino are justified. We fully support the reviews that rate Casa Delfino as a high quality hotel, offering outstanding customer care and excellent service.
It is testament to the exceptionally efficient, caring , hard working manager, her professional team and this stunning, well designed hotel, that we are looking forward to a return visit to enjoy another peaceful holiday in Casa Delfino, Chania, Crete.

6 Thank Sweethearts424
#5 of 110 in Chania Town
Casa Veneta
Casa Veneta
#4 of 110 in Chania Town

Been to Casa Delfino Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!