All reviewsbreakfast roomtop floorwonderful sea viewgarden viewgreek hotelsold portmin walkrooms are spaciousobjectscrete
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Doma is a little jewel, possibly the best bed and breakfast in Chanea. It has about 10 rooms in historic building, which used to house the embassy of Great Britain in Crete, in the period that Crete was semi-independent. It is full of genuine period antics, many real museum pieces. The hat collection is unique and a part of it is in the Benaki Museum in Athens.

The atmosphere is old world at its best, breakfast is served in the top floor with a magnificent view. The ambience itself is a must visit, even if you don't stay in the hotel. If you have tea there in the afternoon watching the sunset and don't fall in love again, you belong in a monastery. In contrast to what I read in another review, the breakfast is super, real freshly squeezed juices, jams made in house, real coffee, fantastic breads, and more fruits than one usually finds in greek five star hotels. Service is overwhelming, if you let her, the maid who has has been there for decades, she will spoil you rotten, sometimes you think she reads minds.

For comparison, the hotel is reminiscent of the Inn San Francisco in its late Victorian splendor, and feels like a small Raffles in Singapore or Manila Hotel in Manila with rich flavors of class and elegance . Do visit their english garden, a quiet place to relax. The rooms are comfortable and tasteful, and the bathrooms recently redone (My wife and I have been staying here for over 10 years, mostly once a year).

Doma is on the waterfront, within a ten minute walk from the City Center or the Old Port. Street parking is available without difficulty.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the front balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is the first time that I write a review on this site! But felt that I did not want others to encounter my mistake of booking into this hotel! I have now read other reviews and total agree with what has been said in the terrible section. I wish I had have read it before booking. My husband and I ended up driving along the coast quite a bit and totally agree there are solo many nice places to stay. We have arrived in September (out of season) and almost wished we had have booked one night and then investigated to book into many hotels or apartments available near by. This hotel feels like you are being watched all the time. I booked a double room for my husband and I and ended up with two single beds pushed together with large wooden frame between us!, Hardly romantic. The breakfast is extremely basic, you have to ask for toast, eggs and feel a little uncomfortable at first by the frosty waitress. The shower is terrible and shower head bangs you on the head if you put pressure down too low! The receptionist is rude at the start making us wait all the time- sorry we are the customer. Sorry it sound like I am a grump but as I said felt I needed to do this review. Do not stay here!, positives: I am a designer and love Los places so it was pretty and has a nice garden / architecture...looks great in the photo' s, being the reason we booked. I have travelled to quite a lot of places around the world and I have to say I would not wish this hotel on any-one.

Room Tip: No tips to help travellers choose a good room. If you are a couple and want to share a bed...do not stay here,,,!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Susanna L
Reviewed 20 August 2012

If you are looking for hotel-chain-style standardisation (however excellent), stay somewhere else.
Doma has flaws (described in detail in other reviews) but has history, charm and personality in spades. And, as Samuel L. Jackson's Jules Winnfield says in Pulp Fiction, personality goes a long way.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay (Chania is lovely, by the way) - 4 nights in rooms 33 (no tv, oddly) and 41 (tv). Breakfast OK, view from breakfast room stunning. Etc. - you see my point (if you don't, read other reviews). Curtain-less showers indeed - strange, but no big deal, really.
Eternal gratitude to the very efficient and friendly receptionist who helped me recover my laptop and tablet I had left (silly, silly me) on the plane in Heraklion the previous day.

Good value for money. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank StefanoBruxelles
Reviewed 7 August 2012

this is a hotel with character that makes you wonder how it managed to survive in the era of all-inclusive hotels. we had the most amazing view of the sea from the balcony. the interior is classy, stylish and elegant, having so many thoughtfully selected details of the last century life, that probably belonged to the old mansion owners.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Small, nice hotel. Location is closed to centre of the city. (15 min by foot). Better to use car! It's the old building, old furniture, small rooms, bit it's very romantic))) there are 3-4 old ladies who is manage all services. I'll recommend this hotel to people who don't care about comfort, looking for some special places for appropriate budget!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends