All reviewsbreakfast roomtop floorwonderful sea viewgarden viewgreek hotelsold portmin walkrooms are spaciousobjectscrete
Reviewed 12 May 2013

So here are my random thoughts, bullet point style...

History: Hotel used to be the British Consulate, and it gives the hotel character. Staying in our room, I could imagine what the place must have been like "way back when"

Garden: Didn't actually use it, but our balcony overlooked it. Very pretty.

Rooftop breakfast: While the food was not special, the view overlooking the water was very nice.

Location: This is a plus and a minus. It is a 10 minute walk from the the harbor area. This made us feel a bit away from it all. While this is probably a good thing in high tourist season, since we were in Chania during the bridge period, I would have preferred to be a bit closer to everything.

Rooms: functional, nothing special except for the ceiling fan, which is always a good thing.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2013

My partner and I stayed at Doma in September 2011 for five nights, so things may have changed since then. The positives are: lovely breakfast and breakfast room (enjoyed being in such a lovely room over looking the water and acroos to the Old Quarter of Chania); proximity to old Chania town without having to reside in the tourist crush; the building and interiors have a lot of character and history; clean and comfortable beds, the bedding of which was changed daily.

However, the place is very over-rated. I stayed there on the strength of the review it received in Lonely Planet, and whilst I can see what that guide is getting at, it has taken a very positive spin. The front rooms, whilst larger than the many rooms at the back of Doma, are hard upon a very busy roadway. The back rooms are very small, cramped, especially the bathrooms. All have wooden floors so nights ate punctuated with sounds of furniture scraping against floors, and heavy feet in rooms above , below, and around.

The place smelt of mildew, with walls cracked and hallway carpet threadbare in many spots.

Lonely Planet may view it as charming and other expressions of romantic allure, but it was actually run down, hallways dark and airless with flurescent lighting, and a very small and slow lift between floors.

The hospitality is also minimal. For example: one night was raining and cold (late September) so rather than venturing out we asked if there was any light meal to be had in the hotel? I had just seen a large tray being delivered to one of the front rooms. I knew that only breakfast was offered to guests, but presumed that there may have been at least some toast and tea, or something as light rather than having to leave the premises on such a cold and wet night.

The woman at reception was very helpful, stating that of course we didnt have to leave Doma to find a small meal. However after she had made an internal call to the kitchen, was as shocked as we were that the only food that the kitchen could offer was yoghurt. No hot drink, no toast, no light meal. Nothing.

As guests we had to leave, into the rain, cold and night, so to actualy find a small meal nearby (next door at another hotel, as way to wet and cold to walk any further). Bizarre and unacceptable.

But for the next couple of nights treats were left in our room, like turkish delight and other such sweets. Maybe as someone's effort to apologise. We never found out.

Room Tip: If you dont like the noise of wooden floors then best to avoid here.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark J
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The staff was very accommodating; the building has lot of character and charm, but other than that we thought this place was very average. Our room had a lovely view of the sea but the furnishings were a bit dated. The WC was fairly small with a tiny shower area only protected by a curtain. The breakfast was nice but we had already been spoiled by awesome hotel breakfasts on our trip into Greece, so it was a bit underwhelming. We will definitely be back in Chania but probably not stay here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Doma is a little jewel, possibly the best bed and breakfast in Chanea. It has about 10 rooms in historic building, which used to house the embassy of Great Britain in Crete, in the period that Crete was semi-independent. It is full of genuine period antics, many real museum pieces. The hat collection is unique and a part of it is in the Benaki Museum in Athens.

The atmosphere is old world at its best, breakfast is served in the top floor with a magnificent view. The ambience itself is a must visit, even if you don't stay in the hotel. If you have tea there in the afternoon watching the sunset and don't fall in love again, you belong in a monastery. In contrast to what I read in another review, the breakfast is super, real freshly squeezed juices, jams made in house, real coffee, fantastic breads, and more fruits than one usually finds in greek five star hotels. Service is overwhelming, if you let her, the maid who has has been there for decades, she will spoil you rotten, sometimes you think she reads minds.

For comparison, the hotel is reminiscent of the Inn San Francisco in its late Victorian splendor, and feels like a small Raffles in Singapore or Manila Hotel in Manila with rich flavors of class and elegance . Do visit their english garden, a quiet place to relax. The rooms are comfortable and tasteful, and the bathrooms recently redone (My wife and I have been staying here for over 10 years, mostly once a year).

Doma is on the waterfront, within a ten minute walk from the City Center or the Old Port. Street parking is available without difficulty.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the front balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is the first time that I write a review on this site! But felt that I did not want others to encounter my mistake of booking into this hotel! I have now read other reviews and total agree with what has been said in the terrible section. I wish I had have read it before booking. My husband and I ended up driving along the coast quite a bit and totally agree there are solo many nice places to stay. We have arrived in September (out of season) and almost wished we had have booked one night and then investigated to book into many hotels or apartments available near by. This hotel feels like you are being watched all the time. I booked a double room for my husband and I and ended up with two single beds pushed together with large wooden frame between us!, Hardly romantic. The breakfast is extremely basic, you have to ask for toast, eggs and feel a little uncomfortable at first by the frosty waitress. The shower is terrible and shower head bangs you on the head if you put pressure down too low! The receptionist is rude at the start making us wait all the time- sorry we are the customer. Sorry it sound like I am a grump but as I said felt I needed to do this review. Do not stay here!, positives: I am a designer and love Los places so it was pretty and has a nice garden / architecture...looks great in the photo' s, being the reason we booked. I have travelled to quite a lot of places around the world and I have to say I would not wish this hotel on any-one.

Room Tip: No tips to help travellers choose a good room. If you are a couple and want to share a bed...do not stay here,,,!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple