“Good hotel in the middle of the tourist area.”
Review of Palazzo Duca Hotel

Palazzo Duca Hotel
Ranked #7 of 115 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Palazzo Duca for two nights after a week at Loutro. We had room 202 which has a balcony overlooking Duca street/lane.

The room was great, well appointed, bed a bit on the soft side for me but comfy enough. Air conditioned and a reasonable size fridge and small kitchen. Sound insulation could perhaps be better. No problem with outside noise but we could hear other guests coughing and morning alarms going off, as well as late returners galloping up the stairs.

Has a TV with cable, but no program list in English (not many English language channels either) but not a huge issue as not there to watch tv anyway. (But, if you have kids I expect it will drive you nuts as they scroll through over 500 channels to find something they like.)

Good enough location, one alleyway back from the harbour and close to several restaurants. Easy enough to get to if you are coming from the bus station like we did or get dropped off by taxi. (Taxis and other non local vehicles can't access the address, so a walk of a couple of hundred metres required.)

Helpful and polite staff in the reception, and very clean and well maintained rooms and facilities.

This hotel is right in the middle of tourist Central, so if you like that it is the place to go.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We had two wonderful night at your 'palazzo' and everything was great! and having stayed in many hotels and smaller pansions, I'm pretty picky in general. The things I loved 1) lovely decorated rooms - old school but not too chic 2) very clean rooms, towels and sheets (very important!) 3) wonderful staff at reception who helps in different situations in everyway they can. I interacted with 2 ladies and both were great (one is Maria, the other lady's name I didn't get. The breakfast tastes great and is great value for €6. 4) Super location - very close to the port but in a nice side street

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

What can I say in 200 characters?
It's a small beauty.. Love the rooms ..the big smile of the employees.. The breakfast hours... The view of the balcony wasn't what I want but we can't have it all
.. It's on the central of old town...
More?
Yes!!! I would love to stay in that hotel again if they let me stay in the room with the Jacuzzi...

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ioanni S
Reviewed 17 July 2014

i felt like princess. Very nice, traditional, small villa, very clean rooms, very cozy, nice food. I really want to recommend it to anyone wishing to experience something traditional in every meaning.
Thank you for the lovely experience and memories

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kojima S
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed here only for two nights, but I wish I had booked it for the whole stay in Crete! Despite our short stay, George, the owner, went the extra mile for us. We arrived late at night and couldn't check in normally, but everything was arranged perfectly. George left a key for the room in a secret place :), a little note with wifi password, his personal phone number and in the end of our stay he even left a home made presents, which we enjoyed very much!

Our experience in Palazzo Duca was fantastic! The best start of our Cretan vacation :) Thank you, George!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Monika J
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Considering the location of this hotel, we were expecting a tiny room with minimal amenities. When I first opened the door, my jaw dropped. I was met with a beautiful, spacious room with a large, comfy bed, a meals area, a kitchenette and a private courtyard fitted with a jacuzzi. The building is wonderfully restored, keeping the old venetian charm. Amazing. The service from all the staff was fantastic (particularly from George) and right in the heart of the old city.

Room Tip: Check out the Jacuzzi in 302
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent our first night in Crete in Old Town Chania and we were pleasantly surprised by the kindness of the people, the beautiful renovation of the hotel and the cleanliness and meticulousness room. Our room overlooked a pedestrian road and a small view of the sea, in the morning the sun was bright and warm and perfect for sitting and overlooking the quiet bustle of people preparing for the day with deliveries and cleanup from the evening before. Everyone was very helpful at the hotel, including helping us look for a pharmacy, somewhere to eat and questions about breakfast. And when we left, they gave us a gift from the owner of home-made olive oil and a bottle of homemade Raki(which is similar to Grappa, but less intense). Old Chania Town is quite touristy, but the old architecture is still present if you want to experience the authenticity of old Crete. I encourage you to overlook the fact that it's overrun with tourist shop after tourist shop and pushy restaurateurs.. In fact, look for the restaurants who do not ask you to come inside and the quietest, smallest tourists shops without blinding signage are the best places to find sandals and dresses at a lower price. Food is extremely low-cost and high volume.. you will never starve and you can easily feed a man with less than 7 Euro including a drink, for lunch. And for two, including wine and dessert it was still less than 35 Euro for two, for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple