“Good Location but not a 4 star hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Akali Hotel Chania

Akali Hotel Chania
Ranked #61 of 111 Hotels in Chania Town
Limassol, Cyprus
“Good Location but not a 4 star hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

The hotel is very close to the city center about 10 minutes walk. However the hotel is not a 4 star, we would rate it as a 3 star. Swimming pool is very small. The rooms need to be refurbished - very old style. We were promised a room with double bed however when we arrived they gave us a room with 3 beds since they did not have a double bed room available. The balcony was very small and there was no space to place our swimsuits or our beach towels when they were wet. There was dust on the furniture into the room and there was not any label for linen change. We had to tell our selves the cleaning lady to change the linen the 2nd day of our stay. Also the staff were not placing any new shower gels or shampoo unless they were requested from us to do so.Breakfast was ok. However the hotel really needs to employ more staff to assist since food was not replaced unless it would finish completely from the trays. So we had to wait until staff realize that breakfast items finish and replace the trays.Bread was not fresh since they used the one from the previous day. However staff were friendly.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank STELLA E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Larnaca, Larnaca, Cyprus
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

The hotel was a let down as it was not what you see on their website,rooms are very old they need to be renovated,the air- con sounds like a tractor and our room faced the road, all you see when you look out is deserted old buildings. All the staff were very kind and helpful and I must say the room was clean.I would rate the hotel a two star.Pool very very very small with only five sunbed and a terrible view around the pool.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sophia C
Moyock, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

Okay so I booked this hotel last minute with high expectations. Boy was I disappointed. First off my arriving flight was canceled and I had to arrive a day late. I called to see if I could be reimbursed for the night I would not be here. They said sure, but had to charge a cancellation fee, which was more than the credit I would be owed so I would have to pay them more money! I said no way and just arrived a day late with my existing reservation and was out the cost of 1 night. Upon arrival I asked if, since I arrived a day late, I could just check out a day late. She said sure, but they would charge me! Talk about lack of customer service!

When I booked the reservation I paid extra to have a double/pool view room. We were assigned a room on the 4th floor and wouldn't you know it, there was no double bed and no pool view. I called down and the woman said I was right that I paid for a pool view room, but there were none available and she could move us the following day. Okay, mind you...I have already paid for the room the previous day and not showed up, so they gave away the room I paid for and would not reimburse me!!!! Talk about shady business. I asked to simply be reimbursed for the money I paid for the pool view and she said she could move me the next day and would not reimburse me. Oh my god, seriously? Do the Greeks believe in making a customer happy, or just taking there money and not giving them what they pay for?

Okay, now, after she said she had no rooms available, she calls us 20 minutes later and said she had someone checking out and could give us our pool view room. Great...

Pros: Great location in Central Chania. Easy walking distance to most everything. A local beach within a 10 minute walk, city center within 20 minute walk, grocery stores, mini marts, restaurants.
Wifi is free, and we had a free breakfast. Breakfast was probably the best included breakfast I've ever had! No joke, Turkish coffee, american coffee, fresh squeezed OJ , eggs, breads, greek yogurt, fruit, feta, tomatoes, cereal, bacon little sausages. Great breakfast! The pool is cute, quiet and hardly anyone ever there. The main part of the hotel is beautiful...but wait til you see the outdated gooms!

Cons: Small rooms, terrible A/C, teeny tiny shower, gross carpet that smells of cigarette smoke, terrible customer service, only ever give you two towels, hard beds...oh there is free parking, but its simply in front/side of hotel and if you get there too late its all full. This is definately not a 4 star hotel, I'm not really sure how they call it 4 stars, but maybe pushing 2.5. It is definately not appropriate for more than 2 people in a room, there is no couch, only a small table and chair...unless they have bigger rooms available.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are better, seem to be better furnished and quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
ATHENS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed there for a five days a few months ago, but I should have written then that this is a wheelchair accessible hotel, run and serviced by kind and helpful people. The hotel bears the name of a Cretan goddess, and is most probably protected by her, as, when I had a small problem with my belly, I was taken care off by the cook and served with lapa, well boiled rice, the only thing I could take. I was very much at home at Akali, and I look forward to stay there on my next visit to Chania, one of the most beautiful towns in Greece!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank SPYRIDON-OF
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

A10 min walk to most restaurants and the harbor. Rooms adequate and comfortable . Breakfast fantastic. Staff very friendly and helpful. Assisted with organizing a private 4 hour trip to Aptera and the mountains.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank krharris2011
Paphos, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

We have just returned from Chania. Akali hotel is just 10 minutes walk from Chania harbour. We had family room(two connected rooms). My children are 9 and 11 years and this type of rooms was ideal for my family. Rooms are very clean and tidy with every day maid service. They provide all the comfort of 4 star hotel with shower gel and shampoo.
Staff was very helpful and friendly. They are always ready to give you information and help you with maps and directions. Also Mrs Fotini is around the hotel to make sure that all the quest have good and comfortable stay. It is town hotel with few disadvantage like view but we expected that when we have booked town hotel. It seems that all business people stay at this hotel because it is offers good value for money. Also I have noticed football teams stay at Akali because it is in the town and offers the best quality compare with other hotels.
In my next visit to Chania I will stay again at Akali

Room Tip: Swimming pool view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank NICOLAS T
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 2 weeks in August 2011. We paid 75 euros per night for our room, which also included a good breakfast. The decoration is a lttle tired, but the room was always kept very clean. We didn't have any issue with noise, although our room overlooked the pool rather than the road. The pool is small, more for a quick dip. However it is a 10 minute stroll to the beach. All in all, we felt it was very good value for money.

What I would emphasise is that the hotel staff were tremendous. Nothing was too much trouble, and they went out of their way to make our stay an enjoyable one.

It is well located for the main sites in Chania town. The hotel only has a handful of car parking spaces, but it was pretty easy to park in the nearby streets.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends