All reviews private pool cd player house keeper homemade jams olive oil goat milk yogurt washing machine samaria gorge our honeymoon dinah privacy refrigerator olives nostos laundry crete
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This place, as the other reviewers have said, is exquisite. I can't really add anything original but only reinforce what they've written. Still, the vision of Metohi Kindelis and its owner and family is an important one for Crete as well as for other highly touristed areas.

The cultivation of indigenous plants that also provide sources for locally-based income is paramount to creating sustainable tourism, let alone sustainable living! Methoi Kindelis is such a place: discreetly luxuriuos and environmentally-giving without any pretense. I highly recommend it as a respite from the commercialism of life; was simultaneously expansive and intimate.

Moreover, Danae (et al) went above and beyond her 'responsibiilties' and offered selfless care when my children and I experienced a highly stressful cultural misunderstanding in Old Town. Her warm humanity and caring nature rescued us from a potentially awful situation.

Do try to visit this exceptional place.

Room Tip: All of them.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank jenevapatterson
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have mixed emotions about writing glowing Tripadvisor reviews. On one hand those that work incredibly hard to set up and run with passion and attention to detail, brilliant businesses, deserve recognition for it. On the other hand, I don't like giving these places away so they end up fully booked next time we want to stay...

Metohi Kindelis is one of those places, a rarity and somewhere that my girlfriend and I spent 12 completely chilled days. We spent a couple of nights in the 'Kynthia' villa and then moved to 'Danae' (the place is that popular we had to juggle our rooms!) Both were effortlessly chic but traditional, you only need to dwell on stone corners and wooden beams to see evidence of Metohi's farming past.

The villas/apartments are really well equipped with everything you need, particularly the juicers which are essential to make use of the most incredible fresh oranges, popped in your fridge by the ever-attentive Linda. Fridges are re-stocked daily with fruits, cheese, yoghurt, milk, bread, avocados, tomatoes etc. The list goes on and changes depending on what is in season and can be plucked from trees on the Metohi estate. The bathrooms also included lovely Greek toiletries (Apivita, which my girlfriend informs me are a cut above the rest), as well as Danai's home-made lavender salt scrubs.

The exterior of each villa is again different, not necessarily with a 'best one' they all have their own personalities. Kynthia's outside areas are flanked by wild gardens and herbs (the mint aromas carry right through the garden). Danae's pool sits in a large grassy walled garden - there was so much room you never felt hemmed in.

I couldn't write a review without a mention of your potential feline companions, particularly the little ginger kitten, named 'Ziboulé' by previous guests. They are pretty self-sufficient, but we tended to buy the little ginger a few pouches of cat food (she was pushed around by the bigger ones...) and I think we left with a friend for life, do the same and you will too!

We visited many of the restaurants recommended by the hugely passionate Danai. You shouldn't miss The Well of the Turk, Thalassino Ageri and Glossitses. Also, the light lunch that accompanies the wine tasting and tour at Manousakis Winery (Nostos Wines) is incredible and amazing value.

If you fancy a night in, pick a bottle from the wine-list that a brilliantly talented sommelier pulled together especially for Metohi and pick up a pie from Ergastiri in Chania (dead easy to find).

It's unusual 'uncovering' a place like Metohi, it's also often overlooked what a difference a passionate set of people make to the feel of a place. Danai, Linda and Maria went above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed to make it a really special break, they deserve to see Metohi continue to be a massive success, as this and other reviews clearly shows that it is.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paulyonder
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This was one of the most beautiful places we stayed! We had a lovely room with bunk beds for the kids, and every morning our refrigerator was replenished with delicious organic food and fresh fruit from the garden. Did I mention our private pool? It was enchanting. I must say the best part was having a wonderful guide, Danai, who not only gave us excellent advice on where to go but was extremely helpful when my son was not feeling well and needed to go to the hospital. I have not stopped talking about this wonderful place to my friends!

Room Tip: We stayed in Kynthia, which has bunk beds for the kids and I think the best pool on the property!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank thismomtravels4
Reviewed 2 August 2013

If you are looking for a privacy, total relaxation, design, place where you feel like at home, warm people - then Metohi Kindelis is the place to choose. Truly unique experience!! Thank you Danai for your very helpful advices and superb care !!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JiriZ
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We just got back from spending ten days at Metohi Kindelis. Because of all the positive reviews my expectations were quite high - so I was a little nervous I would be disappointed. I wasn't, if anything the place exceeded my expectations. Our two young daugthers loved the pool and the farm. There is even a small botanical garden with lots of different plants and a pond with fish. It is a working farm with everything this entails. It's like "farm-luxury" - very simple but not plain, a lot of thought is put into every detail.The grounds are lush and wild but perfectly kept. The staff are amazing. The pool gets cleaned, the lawn gets mowed and you don't even know when it happened. Lydia the housekeeper is a gem. Such a warm and lovely lady. She came to clean and stock up the fridge every day and would leave if she saw we were there. She even did our laundry twice! The food they put in the fridge is great. I had never tasted freshly picked avocado before and now that I am back to the plasticky imported stuff I can definitely taste the difference. The wine is a classy touch as is the goodbye present. Maria the travel agent gave us awesome beach tips which allowed us to find the perfect beach for our needs only 20 minutes away from the farm. Danai, the owner's niece, is also very nice and speaks perfect English. She also emailed us an extra list with restaurant reccommandations. We only saw Manolis twice but as I understand his main thing is still the farm. The highway is very close and you can definitely hear it. It didn't bother us, but if the sound of silence is what you're after you will not find it here. Each unit is super sheltered though and we hardly heard or saw the other guests. Our garden (Danae) is the only one you can see from the other appartments so ask for one of the other two guest houses if you want to go skinny dipping ;-). I could go on forever but I'll just add Chania is very cute and lively. It's touristy but you can tell it's a town were Cretans live. Metohi Kindelis is a real find and the only negative thing I can say about it is that you will not want to leave. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family