All reviews private pool olive oil goat milk yogurt dinah refrigerator olives crete laundry greek
Reviewed 8 July 2017

we are probably biased, this is our 6th time visiting this paradise on earth, but i dare anybody to tell me about a better place to stay in Crete! The rooms are impressive, with huge gardens, pools and ...friendly cats! Danai, Manolis and Linda are always there to help and have a large number of very cool recommendations for things to do in Chania and beyond. Metohi totally changed the way that we see vacations, you have to come here, experience it to believe it!

Room tip: you will be lucky to find a room available, get the first one that you find! Don't lose time comparing rooms, just book!
Date of stay: July 2017
1  Thank iannisa2017
Reviewed 3 June 2017

HOW does Metohi Kindelis only have 38 reviews?! It's shocking to us that Metohi isn't the #1 Trip Advisor hotel in Chania. Everything about our stay here was magical and I can honestly say that it is one of the best hotel stays I've ever had!

I will admit that sometimes I rely on Trip Advisor a little too heavily. I immediately become skeptical if a hotel, restaurant or attraction I'm researching doesn't have a lot of reviews. I'll think to myself that maybe the place is mediocre and that no one even cared enough to leave a review. Or that maybe no one knows about the place-- but aren't all the good places already discovered? It sends up red flags to me. Well, I'm so glad that I didn't let my hesitation over MK's lack of reviews stop us from staying here or else we would have missed out on such a unique and beautiful place. I hope that this review, albeit long, will help convince other Trip Advisor snobs like myself, that Metohi should be your #1 pick.

We came here on our honeymoon in early May and stayed in the 'Danae Guesthouse.' We arranged a late checkin (11pm) and were met by Danae who showed us around the grounds, gave us a history lesson about the farm and the guesthouse we were staying in (which was fascinating!) and then showed us to our room. We loved SO many things about our stay at Metohi, but here were the highlights for us:

THE GUESTHOUSE: As soon as we stepped inside we knew we had found a total gem of a hotel. Just gorgeous. The 'Danae Guesthouse' is the first one Danae's uncle decided to fix up and start using as a hotel and there is particular detail paid to the heritage and history of the farm and of Crete. You can see in the pictures I posted that there is a traditional theme going on in the guesthouse, which we absolutely loved. With that being said, it was spotlessly clean and had modern touches like beautiful flooring, a glass shower, wifi, a CD player, washing machine, coffee maker, mini fridge, etc.

THE AMENITIES: every day the house keeper, Linda, would stock our fridge full of the yummiest, to die for cheeses, homemade jam made from fruit from their farm, seasonal fruits, butter, yogurt, eggs, etc. We were also provided with bread, honey, Crete mountain tea, coffee, salt, pepper, olive oil and other odds and ends. They've taken special care to select products that are directly from Metohi and if not, then local and representative of Crete/Chania. They even left us 1 bottle of wine as a welcome gift! We were so completely obsessed with all the goodies that we not only ate a selection of it for breakfast each morning, but we also had it for dinner one night too. Yup, we sat and ate bread dipped in oil and cheese and fruit and wine until we just couldn't eat another bite. One night we wanted a second bottle of wine and so I emailed Danae our request and she promptly brought over a wonderful bottle of Nostos, an unfiltered red blend, which if I remember correctly was under 30 euro. Another thing that stood out to us was that they cut fresh flowers from the garden for our room, and when they wilted they were replaced by more beautiful flowers. Such a thoughtful and lovely touch. Additionally, to our surprise, Linda left us a homemade cake one day along with a small bottle of raki! And as if that wasn't enough, we were left with a bottle of Metohi Kindelis olive oil and a jar of their homemade preserves as a parting gift on our last night. Wow.

ITINERARY HELP: Danae arranged for someone to stop by our room to look over our itinerary with us (i don't remember the woman's name) and to give us ideas/suggestions. This helped us a lot, we were able to ask for recommendations and set up a tour of the Samaria Gorge through her. The woman also brought a map and showed us where to park when we got to town, pointed out a few logistical discrepancies we had in our agenda, etc. Also, Danae was also very helpful and sent me a list of places her and her friends had tried in Rethymno and Heraklion, which were our next stops after leaving Chania. A packet was also provided in our guestroom which outlined all the fun things to do in Chania, the best restaurants in the area and a lot of other useful information about the town. You can tell they update it often and it felt like an "insider's guide" to Chania! A great touch. It also included several cute postcards in it!

THE PRIVACY: The 'Danae Guesthouse' is inside the main farmhouse and is accessible by walking around the back of the house. It has it's own swimming pool and a large lawn. A few times we saw family members coming to or from the main farmhouse in the front, but besides that we never actually ran into anyone else. It legitimately felt like we had the place all to ourselves which was amazing!

THE GROUNDS: every day during our stay we took a stroll around the grounds, we couldn't get enough. There's fruit, flowers, trees, a little pond, swing, long pathways, mountains off in the distance... basically, you'll feel like you're living in a novel. We wandered around and picked a few strawberries right off the plant and ate them. I'm not much of an outdoorsy kind of girl but even I was in love with roaming the grounds. One evening we poured ourselves a couple classes of wine and just wandered around the grounds with our glasses in hand, which was so relaxing and nice to soak in the scenery, taste the fruit they were growing and enjoy each other's company :)

THE LOCATION: 10 minutes from Chania Town-- the easiest drive ever! 20-30 minutes from the airport. Easily accessible to other towns, activities and restaurants of interest in the area.

THE HOSPITALITY: when you stay at MK, you truly feel as if you are staying as a guest in the home of a friend or extended family member who gives you your space but who also wants to make sure you have the best time possible. On our check out day we weren't rushed off, in fact we were invited to take our time and enjoy the grounds before we decide to leave. Danae even came by to personally say goodbye to us. Speaking of which, Danae is absolutely lovely; so personable and hospitable and we really enjoyed all of our interactions with her. Danae was our main contact during our stay... so in effect she was "the face" of Metohi Kindelis for us, and therefore was a big part in what an enjoyable experience we walked away with.

Metohi Kindelis feels like a secret spot that only me and my new husband are privy to...and has without a doubt become the highlight of our honeymoon. We have that weird conflicted feeling of, "this is our secret spot, we'll keep it to ourselves" and "this place is so freakin' amazing that we can't keep it a secret!!" We'd give anything to return and most likely will one day because we loved it that much!

To Danae and everyone else at Metohi who works hard to make it the place it is-- thank you and we wish you all the success in the world!!!

Date of stay: May 2017
1  Thank Samantha J
Reviewed 10 July 2016

We absolutely love this place - the 5 days we stayed here just flew by. Everyone at Metohi was so welcoming. Thank you Danae for your warm greetings everyday and sharing the Cretan culture with us (and for ordering the takeaways!). Thank you Lynda for the cake, for stocking up our fridge with wonderful organic products and home-made jams daily and keeping our room so clean. We especially loved all the organic fruits - the freshly made orange juice is simply divine. Thank you Natalia for helping us to figure out what to do and where to go during our 5 days in Chania. It was very helpful information.
An unforgettable experience and we hope to come back and visit soon!

Date of stay: June 2016
1  Thank JGOLALO
Reviewed 29 April 2016

Very very very beautiful place, very clean, very peaceful, Danae is an awesome hostess, the room was excellent - the wine was so tasteful - don't forget to check out the wine list and the culinary experience!

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank gchatzop
Reviewed 14 October 2015

Where do I begin? We stayed in Kyriakos with a great living space pretty garden and lovely pool. The fridge was stuffed with food. It was fun returning each day to see what new delights had been added to the fridge. Fresh cake was brought smell was wonderful. Excellent facilities if you wanted to cook. Just a wonderful place to chill.

Date of stay: October 2015