“Traditional accommodation in Chania”
Review of Mme Bassia

Mme Bassia
Ranked #72 of 114 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The owner and the staff very friendly and professional. There was a problem with the reception. if you arrive with the morning ship you will have to wait for a few hours with the luggage outside of the the door because there is practically no reception. The two shops on the ground floor belong to the same owner and only when these shops open you will have access to the hote. I suggest that you hang around the town (the old Venetian port with great cafeterias are just a short walk away) and enjoy some breakfast before you go to the hotel. Also prepare yourself for steep and old style staircase in this hotel. If all above does not disappoint you then this is a nice old style hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of steps whichever room you choose
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Mme Bassia

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Have been at mme Bassia in April 2013 with family and friends. This little hotel is simple but nice in a great location. Clean, welcoming, simple but charming, and very affordable. Loved our balcony. It has a real plus. The owner. A young brilliant guy named Nektarios. He made our holiday in Crete a fantastic one by directing us, instructing us, informing us and basically.... telling us what to do during our week in Crete. And it turned out that all the suggestions Nektarios gave us very very right and extremely helpful. From restaurants to places to see all infos ware perfect.
If I go back to Crete I'll go back to Mme Bassia for sure. Thanks to Nektarios and his nice Mme Bassia!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

It's a wonderful place - clean, cosy, right in the centre of Old Chania. The owner is a really helpful and caring person, always ready to find a compromise, if you have some issues. No problems with hot water, air conditioner or wi-fi. There is a small kitchen with everything that can be needed - fridge, kettle, tea, coffee If you're looking for a cheap, pleasant place in the most beautiful part of the city - don't hesitate to book it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The room we stayed in was spotless, spacious and had its own private balcony. Nektarios and Dina really made us feel right at home from the very first moment we arrived. They are always there (they run a store downstairs that has amazing local products) and available for anything you might need.The hotel is situated right in old city in close proximity to the port and all the sights. It is a 2 minute walk to the old port where all the action is. It's an excellent value for the money, in a great location and run by incredible people! Give it a try and you will never go anywhere else when you visit Chania. I know I will be staying there every time I visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

At first i have to say a few word for a person Totoro M. who left a full of wrong comments! Shame on you!!
This is my last night at the Mme Bassia and i can easily say that you will find more than you pay! And the most important for me the hospitality is priceless! Nectarios and his wife has the hospitality that we ve never seen in all over europe! İ ve travelled xania with my 3.5 years old daughter and everything was more than we expected! Perfect locatiob, clean, comfortable beds, bath with hot water, A/C and the smiling faces every morning saying kalimera! Totoro needs go to hilton or marriot and pay 100s of €s! But believe me you will be happy here more than staying a 5 star hotel! İf you go to Xania on a limited budget and find a room here; dont think about it, just book it!
Thanx for your interest and your hospitality Nectarios, his wife and the stuff!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 1 November 2012

This year my wife and I we spent almost two weeks of vacation in Crete from the 15th to the 26th of October. Initially we had reserved two nights in Madame Bassia room for rent in Hania, since we planned to visit the western part of the island, changing accommodation several times during the vacation. After our arrival, however, we realized that Hania is a very beautiful town and, since we had also rented a car, a convenient starting point for all the tours we wanted to do. Moreover, we liked really a lot Madame Bassia accommodation, so that we didn’t feel any desire to move away and to look for other places where to stay. The Madame Bassia building is located in a nice pedestrian street in the wonderful historical part of Hania, few minutes walking from the harbor but also from the more modern part of the city (where, for example, there are the tourist information office, some supermarkets and the bus station). Our room was large (more or less around 40 square meters), well lit, very nicely furnished and, most importantly, really extremely clean (Nowhere we could find dust, not even above the door frames as I realized since, for a little health problem at my shoulders, I had to hang). In fact, each morning the room was accurately cleaned by a lady that also changed the towels and washed the bathroom and the floor. The room had a small balcony with table and chairs, bathroom, TV, air-conditioner and a fridge very useful to keep our food and water. Furthermore, in a nice room situated at the first floor there is available an extra refrigerator and a table with chairs where it is possible to enjoy the coffee or the tea that are always and freely available.
The owner of the rooms, Mr. Nectarius, is a very nice and helpful person. We traveled a lot and we visit most of the gorgeous places that are situated in western part of the island (like the towns and the villages of Réthymnon, Paleochora, Loutro, Azogires, the impressive gorge of Samaria, the wonderful beaches of Balos, Phalassarna, Elafonissi, Agia Roumeli, Stavros) and each time Mr. Nectarius was asking us in advance our planes and, then, always he gave us very useful information and suggestions to realize at the best our trips. Consequently, Mr. Nectarius makes our vacation much easier and allows us to see more places than we could have done without his help (for example he indicated us the most convenient and panoramic roads to take, the best restaurants where to eat, other places less known to see in proximity of our main destinations, if it was better to use our car or public transportation).
In conclusion we think that Madame Bassia room for rent is a really nice place and we strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Altbough the website says ALL rooms have attached veranda, bathrooms, and AC they do not! I booked a room based on their website. The first room had two twin beds and just a tiny window. In August this was unbearable as there was no breeze. The bathroom was one floor up ans I was told a private bathroom which in fact was shared with another room.

Had to move rooms to a smaller room with still no AC, veranda or bathroom on the second night. I would have checked out after first night but because I was doing an all day hike did not have time to look for other options. Second room was just as bad but had a bigger window. Looked out onto the busy shopping arcade so quite noisy from around nine AM till eleven PM.

Through email I asked for an earlier check on as I was arriving by morning ferry. Was told it was possible from 9 AM. Sat in a cafe till 9 and then at the doorstep till someone finally turned up around 9:30. No apologies or anything. Would have just stayed in the care till 10 if I would have known.

This was Greek hospitality at its worst. Asked about a bus to the gorge to do the hike which a lot of tourist do. I was told to walk to the bus stop ask there. Everywhere else has been helpful and looked up.necessary info on Internet. Guess they were just interested in their customers in their shop.

Just disappointing. When I talked to the owner he just tried to sweet talk his way. There are way better options in Chania. Try Varnas Studios which actually has a reception desk and a better value.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Totoro M
netis, Owner at Mme Bassia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2012

I just read this review for my place that is written on 16/10/2012 and i will like to answer to this person that in the first mail is written :
''My Hotel is open every day from 10:00am until 11:00pm, but I can wait if you have a late arrival time.
Check in and out is at 12:00 noon, according to Greek legislation.
If needed in case of late departure, we can provide a space for you to leave your luggage.''
After that the answer for the early arrive is given. for a bad trip or something else is not my mistake....

All my rooms are removed at the same year and all but all my rooms have toilet shower A/C,TV, fridge inside and wi-fi for free.
There are some guest’s that they would like to have a cheap room and for them is only one room that the shower toilet is out of the room ,outside in the terrace with the flowers (the price for that room is 20-30 euro depending of the season).
Because is in the terrace and some other guests can be there and join the sun with a café if they wants to use the toilet is normal that I can’t be there 24 hours and take care of that….
Yes I have two stores under of my place and im there 12-15 hours per day but not in the tarrace..
Also I can’t be a God about the breeze and the sun and the hot…. In August in Chania is hot!!!!

About my hospitality I would prefer the silence and let the comment on the internet talk for me…
Chania is a small town you don’t need internet to go to Samaria special when you are in Chania thanks God everything is so near.

Of course there is many other choices in hotel in Chania cause we live from the tourism that we respect and we are sweet and nice but in a different value for everyone depending what needs and how much wants to pay….
I’m so sorry for that review am lucky because of the past reviews about me and most important for my place and more lucky because they will answer guests that they really meet me and join my company and the Greek hospitality.
Everybody is welcome to my place to join my Hospitality and join our beautiful town.
Thank you any way traveler and …still love you!!!
Nectarios Bouzakis