“Romantique, gourmetique,estetique”
Review of Amphora Hotel

Amphora Hotel
Ranked #42 of 111 Hotels in Chania Town
Reviewed 1 June 2012

An absolute top establishment in Chania. I know the town after having slept all over it since the late eighties, but this is the unleveled place to stay. A part of the old port and a part of the White Mountains. I stayed at number 13, with view both ways, The hosts are warm, smiling and with a flair of Scandinavian coolness, as the lady in command arrives from norwegian roots.
Wonderfully situated roofterasses where you can enjoy the sun(set), the swallows and circulation on the estrade below. Not to mention the breakfast, brought up to you by the waiter after you've been downstairs making your choice from a small, but classy Buffet. The tapenade is superb. The pesto is of ligurian standard. And the beds are the best on the island. But above all, and this is by far the most important: The Restaurant on the waterfront are waited with style and discretion, in perfect compatibility with the cuisine which produces genuine cretan dishes with that little twist of perfection that turns the meal into moment to remember.
No doubt: I've found my place in Chania for the rest of my life.

Tore Ny

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I really enjoyed my 5 day stay at the Amphora Hotel. The staff are very friendly and efficient (my bags were retrieved from the airport in less than 24 hours) and excursions were arranged without a hitch. The hotel itself is an old Venetian mansion with all modern ameneties and seems to have a recurring clientele (something which does not surprise me). The views of the harbour are probably the best you can get in town and there is a restaurant as well as a roof garden to enjoy. The balcony with the sea view was a delight and so was the room (in effect a small appartment). I will definitely return next time I will be in Chania.

Room Tip: Room 11 has the best view of the harbour, although some people find it noisy on weekends (not yours...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank rfbc
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I was staying in this nice hotel for 4 days at the beginning of my holliday in May.The room was very
nice and quiet,overlooking the old venetian port.I enjoyed my stay very much!The staff at the reseption desk was very friendly and also all the people working there.Breakfast I took on the roof garden-a very special service from then Hotel and very good-the best start for a nice day.The hotel is very comfortable and clean,everywhere nice details,like flowers and nice decoration.I hope I will come back soon to this charming hotel.Thank you so much for makeing my stay so wonderful.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2012

What a lovely hotel!
Our room, nr 11, had superb views of the Old Harbour. The staff (Evie, Anita and Agostin) were friendly and helpful and ever so accommodating. If you are a very light sleeper, it might be wise to ask for a room to the back as the music from the restaurants below could be quite lively.
We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We spent almost a week at the Amphora in November 2011, and would happily recommend it anyone who is looking for no-frills accommodation done extremely well.
While the accommodation is a little basic, it was very comfortable, spacious and spotlessly clean.
We were there at the very end of the season (the only guests for the last couple of days) and Anita and everyone else could not have done more for us. They even put up with our last minute change of date due to Greek ferry timetables (or lack thereof) with very good grace in spite of being inconvenienced by it.
We had Room #20, on the top floor of the hotel, with a small private balcony overlooking the harbour that everyone comes to Chania for. Prime spot!
If we make it back to Chania we won't even look for anything else; we'll go here again.

Room Tip: Ask for Room #20, or one on the top floors if it's busy season. I hear the harbourfront can get...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dick T
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had a great week's holiday in the wonderful friendly Amphora Hotel, the room (no 11) a twin had a fantastic view over the old harbour from a small balcony with a couple of chairs and table on it. and also had a mezzanine area.
The Staff were fantastic especially Anita and nothing was a problem or too much trouble.
Breakfast on the roof terrace was amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms to front are sunny in the morning with views over harbour, could be a bit noisy with the windo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jil523
Reviewed 26 February 2012

With my girlfriend we wanted to stay for a night in the old harbour area of Chania because of the amazing view and the proximity to all the nice restaurants like adespoto. We found Amphora to be a really nice and cozy/romantic place with an amazing view from the balcony!
The room was spacious and the bed very comfortable but sleeping can be a little challenging for those who are easily disturbed because of the music from the cafeteria "Taratsa" which is located right next to the room we stayed. This wasn't a problem for us since we are not difficult in sleep but people who are more sensitive might need earplugs (this is probably the same with any other hotel located in the harbour). The people in the hotel were very polite and helpful (for example they lent us their iron). All in all we had really great time and highly recommend the place.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple