“Great family run hotel! Very good value.”
Review of Helena Hotel

Helena Hotel
Ranked #18 of 98 Chania Town B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Great family run hotel! Very good value.”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

We stayed here just one night, before we went to Heraklion to catch a ferry super early the next morning. It was Good Friday, so the town was bustling with activity and celebration. This accounted for our night of the WORST sleep ever. There were some rowdy young people who stayed outside our hotel ALL night long LOUDLY having fun, and it was super annoying. But, that's not the hotel's fault, and to be fair we were there during a holiday so I'm sure it's not usually like that. The bed was the only small complaint I had, it was very firm. Other than that, the room was nice, the bathrooms were really nice, and the place is in a great location. The hotel owner is sooo nice! ANd his son was very nice, too. We loved the hotel owner. We talked to him several times at length, and one evening after heading back to our hotel we saw him out at a local bar. He insisted we sit with him and his friend for some drinks, so we did. He also insisted on paying for our drinks, which was quite hospitable, especially considering their crisis right now. I was so glad we stayed here, and I would definitely return in the future. The place is great! And it's a fantastic deal you won't be able to find elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
Norway
Reviewed 4 October 2012

This hotel has a wonderful staff, both the owner and his son. Always willing to help, and providing great service. We have stayed here twice, but only for a very short period of time. The room we had was not the greatest, but as we only asked for a place to stay for a very short time we didn't ask for more. Next time we might stay for a bit longer, and ask for one of the rooms with great views of the old harbor. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nordkvinnen
London, UK
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

We booked 2 nights in September, and unfortunately were not able to make the first night as the Megajet from Santorini arrived late into Iraklio meaning we missed the last bus to Chania. The next day the owner put us in a large triple room as we had wanted a double bed. Whilst we didn't have a view the room was spacious with fridge, kettle and 2 chair/lounges opposite a coffee table. We also breakfasted at the little cafe he recommended which was great. To top it off he then only charged us for 1 night even though we hadn't cancelled until very late the night before. Very much appreciated and will definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2012
Sheffield
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Struggling over the ancient but rough-on-wheeled-luggage labyrinthine cobblestoned streets of old town Chania, I'd gone about as far as I could go pursuing a recommended but still elusive pension. I stopped to catch my breath in front of an unassuming and quietly picturesque hotel. An antique scripted vine-draped hanging sign informed me I was at the Helena Hotel. I walked into its welcome cool stone interior and discovered my own personal paradise. The personable young man at the desk showed my husband and me two available rooms: one allegedly with a better view but up an additional flight of stairs, both at bargain rates. We gratefully took the lower room on the second floor which had a view to die for! A window overlooking the gorgeous harbour with its Venetian and Ottoman architecture, round domed mosque and several horse-drawn carriages. For me, Chania has the charm of Venice with an added Ottoman allure on a much more modest and casually homey (not to mention affordable!) scale. Our cosy, charming and comfortable room with a view in the Hotel Helena was a literal window onto all of that. And not just the room was charming. Proprietor Antonis and his son George were the most gracious and helpful of hosts. They provided much useful information and recommendations for dining, shopping, tourist attractions not only in Chania, but elsewhere in Greece. Not to mention friendly conversations of mutual interest about history, literature, art, architecture, the economy, etc. It doesn't get any better than this. The Hotel Helena (although shockingly termed a "2nd class" hotel) is more than first class by my standards. It is not just my favourite hotel in Crete, but my favourite hotel anywhere, and I have travelled in more than 70 countries over the past 50 years. Go there and see for yourself.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iannieheyes
Crete, Greece
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed in Helena hotel in October. Position of hotel is erfect, it is in the heart of old town of Chania. When we arrived in the port, we cold on the reception because we didnt have idea where is it and the girl from hotel gave us instructions where to wait her and she came to pick us up. The room was ok, traditionally furnished, with TV, aircondition, fridge, the view on the port and town. Importand is that the room was very clean. We had also caps, tee, coffe and milk inside with the boiler. The owner Antonis who we met later, was very very friendly. I would recommend this small hotel and if we come back we stay again there.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 8 July 2009

I booked my room direct with the hotel (webpage is: www.helena-hotel.gr) and spent 6 nights there at the start of July and would highly recommend it. My room was on the top floor and as soon as I walked in I was taken aback by the fantastic views over the Old Harbour, I don't think I could have got any better.
The hotel is situated up a small, peaceful side street just off the Old Harbour. I had no problem at all with any noise from the harbour at night. There are a couple of small supermarkets and a bakery/cafe in Theotokopoulou Street, two streets away. The owner Antonis and his son George are extremely helpful and kind, even managing to keep cheerful after lugging my 20+kg bag up to the top floor! They strike the balance between being unobtrusive yet there to help with anything you may need. Both also speak very good English.
As for the room, it was a good size, with a/c, tv, fridge with ice compartment - v handy!, kettle, 2 plates, mugs and glasses and a sharp knife - again, a small detail but incredibly useful! The wardrobe was built-in, with a cupboard above with extra pillows and blankets and 2 drawers below. The room had two large windows, and a table and two chairs in front. As breakfast is not supplied, I would nip down to the bakery and eat my b'fast in the room while enjoying the fabulous views. To be honest, I didn't miss the fact that I didn't have a balcony. The bathroom was a reasonable size with shower (including shower curtain and hook for shower head to sit on), toilet, sink, mirror and good lighting above the mirror.
All in all, it was a charming hotel with friendly, kind owners, and at a very reasonable price. I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo