We booked Hotel Orestis based on the high TripAdvisor rating, but I think these glowing reviews create impossibly high expectations, and for us, at least, led to some disappointment. I think if we had seen a couple of more balanced reviews, we would have known what to expect and avoided this initial disappointment -- so I am going to try to provide such a review.
Here's what's absolutely true:
* Kind, hospitable staff who go out of the way to help you out - can't emphasize this enough, we felt so welcomed and taken care of by Platon and the rest!
* Simple but modern and well-equipped apartments, with 2 terraces each
* Beautiful, inviting common area and pool
* Great value for the money
Here's what disappointed us:
* The hotel is located in a village 2km from the nearest beach and the main road. The taxis are a ripoff, the buses are infrequent, so if you don't have a car, it's very difficult to get anywhere. And there's not really much to do in the village - it's pretty small and functional, not the type of place one can explore even for a few hours. Renting a car is a must...and having to drive everywhere takes away from relaxation time.
* The views are pretty, but I wouldn't call them fantastic or incredible - we had better views in our hotels in Napflio, Mystras, and Delphi. The "sea view" means that you get a little corner of the sea visible beyond the hills.
That said, we enjoyed our stay once we had adjusted our expectations (and rented a car)!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the hillside in the peaceful village of Upper Stalos and built in the grounds of the Agha's Manor House (today Villa Orestis) dating back many years back to the Turkish Occupation of Crete, this small group of twelve apartments enjoy fantastic views of the sea and Crete’s White Mountains.Just 200 meters from the Village Square and similar distance from three of the best local taverns in the Chania area, you can simultaneously enjoy the charm of rural village life, coupled with the advantage comfortable accommodation and a lovely swimming pool.Also the distance from the sandy beach is only 1800 meters and the village has a good bus service to the town of Chania, which is only 9 km away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Orestis reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Orestis Crete/Chania