“fabulous holiday!!!”

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The staff here are amazing, A special mention for George and Vasilis who greet and ensure everyone is cared for and welcomed, and ensured our welcome and departure ran smoothly. All staff without exception were professional, happy, caring and friendly. A special mention also about Nikos the beach attendant who was so efficient, polite and nothing was too much trouble. The apartment we were given was a sea view suite with a hot tub was absolutely fab, everything spotless, nice quality toiletries, bed linen changed daily and towels changed twice daily. Nice touches such as welcome bubbles, hot towels and wine and fruit in suite. The buffet food is of very high quality, with chefs cooking hot dishes in small quantities continually, so that the food is always of high quality and delicious. We had a different themed menu every evening with specialist chefs.This holiday exceeded our expectations, nothing was too much trouble even ensured that a British football match was streamed live in the lounge. Thank-you and hope to return in the not too distant future.
our expectations.

1  Thank bush2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,568)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just back from a fantastic holiday , spacious suite, stunning views and a very relaxed atmosphere. The service of all the staff is excellent, nothing is too much trouble. The food is varied and delicious. I would highly recommend it to all. Hoping to return in the Autumn.

2  Thank RoyNottingham
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We have just returned from our wonderful stay at the hotel,from the moment we arrived and were greeted by the lovely guest relations lady (yowenna) not sure of spelling i'm afraid ,she made us feel very welcome and was so helpful throughout our stay she had also arranged for some food in our suite as we arrived so late,a very thoughtful gesture.The suite we had was very nice,good views,large lounge area and outdoor jacuzzi.Breakfast was extremely good,and plenty of choice at the evening buffet dinner.The main reason for writing the review is that all of the staff are incredible,so polite and friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them,I have to specially mention Cristian the porter who is exceptional and a credit to the hotel.We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Pauline W
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment we stepped into our suite till we left on a warm sunny day, our stay was exceptional. The staff were friendly, courteous, helpful and professional. Nothing was too much of a hassle. The hotel itself is stunning and has some incredible views and is a short walk from Plaka a lovely little village. The food was excellent and accompanied by the wonderful and talented Kostas' piano playing was a delight. A huge thanks to everyone especially Varsillis and Cristian for making this a great experience...see you next time!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Ngozi N
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The Domes of Elounda is a beautiful 5 star retreat situated not far from Elounda but closer to the little quaint village of Plaka.

We visited on the first day of the opening season in 2014 for 7 nights. We were a family of 3—myself, my husband and my 8 year old son. We stayed in a one bedroom villa with a pool.

We rented a car at Heraklion airport and drove to the Domes. We had to call twice for directions and they were very helpful in both instances (our sat nav nor 4G could pick anything up unfortunately). It’s worth renting a car for reasons I will explain later.

On arrival, we were met by a guest relations rep. I have never in my life been to a place where such an emphasis is placed on this role. The same team was there from the time I arrived on Saturday, and in the early hours of the morning when I used the gym, until I had my nightcap at the bar…..every single day.

I have not come across such a dedicated team of people in all of my years of travelling to resort locations. Any question you have or small request will not remained unanswered for more than a few hours. It is a testament to the 5 star service at the Domes of Elounda.

It was the first day of the season on arrival so it was not without its glitches. We cannot complain too much because as mentioned above, the resort must be credited with the customer service badge it rightly deserves.

Pros:
• Amazing service and people……honestly, they could not do enough for you.
• Beautiful secluded setting with its own private sandy beach and most villas have private plunge pools.
• Little touches like the wine and fruit on arrival and the welcome champagne drink while the rep talked you through the inner workings of the resort. It was just very nice to relax and a drink and wind down after travelling.
• Wonderful food!!! A French Michelin star chef in residency to cook in one of the 3 restaurants.
• Kids club offering a large number or organised choices to keep the little ones busy.
Cons:
• The wi-fi was very sketchy and not even working in our room the first 4 days. We often found that the only way to get done what we needed to do was to it in reception for a couple of hours in the morning after breakfast and evening after dinner. We run our own business, so this was irritatingly problematic.
• Our son is 8 but he is very well behaved and read books most of the time. There was no set schedule to when families with young children would turn up at dinner making it quite a stressful and noisy event. The hotel has a ‘quite zone’ in most areas but, one night, just because we had a child we were sat in the ‘creche area’ at dinner and it was a very, very disruptive atmosphere. It would be better if the hotel had an earlier start at dinner allowing many of the younger children to eat at a more suitable time away from people travelling with older children or even the couples. We actually saw on 3 occasions couples asking to be moved and I couldn’t blame them. The buffet was the worst……..I am quite tolerant having a young child myself but the attitude with lots of the parents was just unacceptable. The hotel needs to realise that in a situation with lots of young children mixed with couples, there needs to be some stringent rules……especially to keep up the 5 star reputation and clientele.
• No tea or coffee making in the room. This was really irritating. No access to any tea or coffee when you have such amazing terraces and views means that you either have to order room service or bring your own kettle!
• Housekeeping is a little hit and miss……on the website it says that you get complimentary water everyday—not true, we only had it on the day of arrival. We gave up on the water and went to the market. However, in fairness, the room was very, very clean, lots of towels and really lovely people servicing everything from the private pool to the room itself.
• It’s not cheap. A round of drinks for 2 will set you back about 20 euros. It cost 7 euros by taxi to get to Elounda. We had a car and went to the village and stocked up on water, snacks and our own wine for a fraction of the price of the hotel. I even bought canned coffees that put in hot water so I could have a coffee in the am on my terrace!
• The gym facilities/’fitness room’ not 5 star. The machines appear to have been ravaged by kids who have no business being on the premises. We stayed at 5 star hotel in Athens a few days before we arrived and the gym was small but everything worked. In Elounda, we used the gym everyday but the only thing that worked marginally well was the treadmills—there are 2—and they are on their last legs. On ALL occasions, I had to fight with children under the age of 18 to get time to use them. I gave up in the end and went running on the road next to the sea!
Domes, sort it out—no one under the age of 18 should be allowed in the fitness facility!
• The pools are not heated. This was the biggest let down of all because the weather was not brilliant. Therefore, you have a lot of kids (who don’t belong) in the gym, and people just generally ambling around with not a lot to do. The pool in the spa is supposed to be heated but was still being heated on day 2. The private pools are not heated either. On the first day we said that we would pay for our pool to be heated (thinking it would be around £35 a day which is what we pay in Spain), and the hotel gave a price of 100 euros a day!! I nearly had a heart attack! I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect the pools to be heated early or late in the season and the price of the room rate to REASONABLY reflect this.
• The chauffer service from the airport is 90 euros each way. Really? It cost half of that to rent a car in the end!

So, all in all, I really liked the Domes. I can see that in the swing of summer it must be an amazing place to be. The problem is (and I say this with a very heavy heart) is that I didn’t visit in the summer, I came in the spring and there is only one chance to make a first impression and there are hundreds of other choices out there that are equally as competitive and offering 5 star service. There were some very special moments like the time we had the ENTIRE eatery on the beach to ourselves for the evening and had tons of fresh fish and people fawning over us.

I would come back here but would choose another time of year and I would do it when it’s NOT half term. The number of very young children was overwhelming and I think the Domes, would do themselves a big favour by creating some rules around where and when the particularly young children are allowed.

Don’t let my review put you off of going…..Crete and the Domes are truly paradise……..I’m sure by the time the summer kicks off many of these issues will be sorted out because the people who work there truly care about what the customers think.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank chooochoootrane
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The friendliness and service from the staff was excellent. We had a two bedroom with sea view: amazing. First we had a room with jacuzzi and then we changed to swimming pool. Both great but swiming pool is not heated (we knew that already). The food is excellent with very good choices and it varies every night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nathalie R
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Surrounded by a relaxing ambience, friendly attentive staff and an incredible view I am compelled to write a review (which is a first for me) about this wonderful boutique hotel.

We have stayed in a open plan suite which is extremely tastefully decorated with a spa bath, rain shower and a private hot tub on the terrace. The view of Spinalonga is breathtakingly and the design of the hotel is so well thought out that it seems quiet and peaceful everywhere you go. The private beach is dotted with Olive trees overhanging the Crystal clear water, it really could not be more picturesque. All the staff at Domes have been extremely attentive to my dietary requirements (ceolaic), they are friendly and professional and we have loved every minute of our stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victoria K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!