We recently returned from the Domes with our 3 year-old.
Its often difficult to understand what different people regard as good service so let me first note a few of the places we have stayed previously - Datai (Langkawi), Santiburi Dusit (Koh Samui), One & Only Royal Mirage (Dubai), Le Meurice (Paris), Serena Beach Hotel (Mombasa), Pangkor Laut Resort (Malaysia), Cotswold House Hotel (UK), The House (Barbados).
The hotel is situated on the side of a hill overlooking Spinalonga Island. It really does look picturesque.... the villas and suites are all constructed from local stone and little golf carts swiftly take you wherever you wish to go. However, on occasion, we decided to walk to work off the extra calories!!
It is unusual for Elounda because it actually has a beach. As many reviewers have noted before, there are loungers based under olive trees on the grass and other loungers on the beach under the shade of trees. These two areas are separated by a wooden slatted walkway on the sand. The beach is very safe because it shelves out very shallowly and our little one enjoyed the gentle waves. The beach team, particularly Palis, are out very early in the morning raking the sand and organising ready for the guests to arrive. They are also efficient at distributing water with lemon and ice at regular intervals.
Food is of a good standard. The main breakfast buffet is like any other breakfast buffet in a five-star establishment - egg station fruits, yoghurts, cereals, cold meats, freshly baked patisseries, breads etc . A nice touch was the large selection of teas available to choose from.
One could have lunch at the pool area (good club sandwich, excellent burgers) or at the beach restaurant (amazing marinated sea bass, perfectly cooked calamari, fresh greek salad, fresh pizza etc.). I felt the beach restaurant represented very good value for money given the quality of the dishes - the Sea Bass would be £8.00 or more in London. Here it was around £6.00. We ate dinner at the buffet which was of a high standard and beside the Pool which again was excellent (perfectly cooked Veal).
There is a good sized main pool which is not massive but more than adequate considering the extensive beach area. Next to the main pool is a kiddies pool (10m diameter).
The spa is excellent. I have to mention Nikos - this was undoubtedly the best sports massage I have ever had. The guy really does know his stuff - I slid off the table and crawled my way back to the suite afterward. Had to book a second round a couple of days later.... I would probably have been happy paying £200 for the hour - that is how good he is.
The kids club is excellent. Tonia really looked after our little one and nothing was too much trouble for her. She must be commended for her positive demeanour and caring approach - where did she learn to do origami, speak 3 different languages and keep so calm whilst taking care of all the energised children at the club?
Suites are top notch with excellent toiletries. We had two plasma screens in our one bedroom suite. The views are stunning - panoramic!!
Savas, the hotel manager, works very hard at making everyone feel special. He puts his heart and soul into the job - it shows. He is one of the the most passionate hotel manager's I have come across - nothing is too much trouble.
Also I must mention Emma. She went out of her way to make our little one feel special - surprises, presents, etc etc. Tonia (reception), Alexandra, Dorothee, Zlatina, Sofija, Katarina all deserve a mention. In fact all the staff work very hard to please - and it is genuine. Many thanks for all your efforts - we appreciated your warmth and postivity.
To summarise - if you enjoyed The House you'll probably like it here. The service isn't as formal as the Meurice but it is much more human. Occasionally things are forgotten but what we loved was the "staying with close friends" type feel of the place.
We will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5-star Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection is set on the most privileged hill and offers luxurious accommodation with spa bath overlooking the island of Spinalonga and its Venetian castle. It has a spa and 5 restaurants serving haute cuisine dishes, a sandy beach and many swimming pools. Each of the air-conditioned suites is uniquely decorated and has easy access to the private sandy beach. They include a spacious living room with wooden floors and a satellite LCD TV. Some suites also have a private pool or open-air hot tub. This year, the new Domes Luxury Residences, along with the stunning Domes Ultraluxe Villas, come with the 'Haute Living Selection', essentially creating an exclusive haute-luxury villa boutique experience, within the already impressive resort of Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection. The spa of Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection includes an interior seawater pool, sauna, steam room and hot tub. It also offers rejuvenating therapies, such as facial and massage treatments. The 5 restaurants offer casual beachside settings or elegant dining rooms with panoramic sea views. Guests can taste progressive Greek cuisine, seafood and Cretan dishes. An Asian restaurant is also possible. The hotel is very conveniently located. The village of Elounda is 2.5 km away. Part of the Elounda myth, is the Venetian Castle on the Island of Spinalonga, the setting for Victoria Hislop's bestselling novel "The Island". The lively seaside town of Agios Nikolaos is within 12 km of Domes of Elounda. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Booking.com, Marriott, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Bookgreece.com, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Domes Of Elounda All Suites And Villas Spa Hotel Elounda
- Domes Elounda Hotel
- Domes Elounda Resort
- Domes Of Elounda, Autograph Collection Crete