“Second to none for Service and 5 Star is very accurate”

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Stayed at the Domes of Elounda with my wife and 2 sons of 4 & 11 in October for a week and we had a fantastic break. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left the service received in the hotel was that of what you would expect in a small family hotel. The Champagne welcome personally from the briliant hotel Manager Savas was just the start of the highest level of service.
The hotel food was fantastic morning, noon and night with 5 star quality and the service in the restaurant was always friendly, the chef's were always informative and I have stayed in "so called" 5 star hotels worldwide and the service at the Domes topped them all by a mile.
The rooms were comfortable and maid service was superb. This was the end of the season for the hotel and there were a few minor maintenance issues but nothing which would lessen the enjoyment.
There a few people who obviously found fault in their reviews but quite frankly "you cannot please everyone" and nit picking is what they are obviously very good at!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank MPSO
Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed 1 November 2010

The first of the five stars of the hotel, belong to the stuff. Thank you for your hospitality.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Davidopoulos
Reviewed 30 October 2010

We were looking for the last of the summer sun to enjoy a few days of peace and relaxation. We found it at Domes of Elounda. As the other reviews say, the staff are wonderful. Even though it was right at the end of the season, we were still made to feel very special and everyone worked hard to help us enjoy our visit.

We had emphasized on our booking that we wanted a private room with a good view and this we got. However, not all of the suites are like that and I would recommend being clear about what you are looking for at the time of booking. To have peace, you need to be up out of the way – but this means you have a bit of an uphill walk back to your apartment on uneven, poorly lit paths. The guys on the golf buggies are great – and are happy to be waved down for a lift if you see them.

We were surprised by the number of young children staying at the resort. I think they must have been in the suites closer to the main hotel as we were only aware of them at meal times. The presence of large numbers of families (along with incessant music) did spoil the ambiance of the main resturant – which was a shame because the views from the restaurant are wonderful and it could have been very romantic. The food was ok – perhaps trying to be a bit too fancy with fish and meats added to salads and nothing labelled - but always fresh and clean. The chef was there preparing fresh dishes so it was easy to ask what things were. There are two other resturants - including a Greek one - but we didn't know about this until we checked out, which was a shame as it was a sence of the Greek experience that was missing really. As an internaional hotel, it could almost have been anywhere. We were aware that there was an a la carte resturant and that our half board deal gave us a discount towards it. However, the prices charged for extras seemed so high we daren't try it!

The pool and the beach are lovely and overall everything was charming and kept spotlessly clean. There were some little things that didn’t seem to work so well and I am sure the hotel staff (as the complex is still new) is working at putting them right. The area is just beautiful: watching the light change over the water, island and mountains easily absorbed and relaxed us and a jacuzzi on the balcony as the sun rises on that view was pretty special! If that isn't enough, then there is a bus stop right outside the entrance that will take you into Elounda or you can walk down into Plaka for a boat across to the island.

Overall, I would say it's not quite five star but pretty close and I would have been very happy staying longer.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saw94
Reviewed 24 October 2010

From the moment we stepped into reception we were treated like royalty. This continued through the whole week. We took advantage of most facilities in the hotel including the spa, beach, bars, watersports, tennis courts and the amazingly romantic pier restaurant. Overall we got a great value holiday with great weather in late October. The staff are a real credit to the resort.

A great location though the rental car was very useful as the resort is a couple of miles from anything.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank Tamblin
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I have just returned from a 7 night stay and I have to say it has been one of the most enjoyable breaks that we have had as a family. I wouldn't suggest you go if you want complete peace and quiet with no children as this is a very family friendly hotel.
Our room had a terrific view of Spinalonga with outside jacuzzi. Room service came twice a day with a fresh bottle of water and I lost count of the number of roses left on our bed. The kids particularly enjoyed the heart shape of sweets that we found one day!
The staff are extremely welcoming and genuine and poolside / beach service was wonderful. The beach strip is narrow but we did not find this a problem and my boys still managed to build a sandcastle fortress by the side of our sunbed. The water is very shallow and crystal clear with pretty little shoals of fishes that are great to watch if you fancy snorkelling. The are no sudden dips or rocks so it was perfectly safe for my children to dip in and out without me panicking. They enjoyed the kids club too which although perhaps better suited to smaller children (mine are between 6-8) still kept themselves amused. It also gave them some independence from us and chance to make new friends which they loved.
I tried the Spa therma experience which was a series of hot and cold steam/sauna/ice treatments with hesitation (I hate being cold!) but thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband and I were the only people in there at the time, it was like having your own personal entourage at your disposal! In fact it would be fair to say that is how all of the staff make you feel.
The buffet breakfast has everything available that you can imagine. If I had to find a downer, and believe me there are not many, they were not that good at providing a hot pot of tea, but then I didn't go there for a mug of english tea! We also ate at their beachside Topos restaurant and it was wonderful. The portions aren't huge but just right so that you are not left feeling stuffed.
Taxis were 7 euros to both Plaka and Elounda, both of which were pleasant to visit, although Plaka had already started to shut down for the end of the season, the little gift shops had virtually gone. A barman in Plaka advised us to ask for a carafe of local wine with our meal as the bottled wine we tried when dining out was not that good and he was right. Unfortunately this wasn't until the end of our holiday!
All in all I came away feeling very pampered and spoilt and will definitely look to return to repeat our little week of luxury at the Domes.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Londonweekendhopper
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I traveled to Crete solo recently and spent two days in Elounda. I thought this hotel was very nice, clean and the staff was great. The rooms were also very nice, mine had an outdoor jacuzzi (which I think all of them do). The view was partial of the water, but it was still lovely. I went during the 'low season' so the pool was too cold to swim in, but it was still great to sit outside by it. The beach area is small and rocky, but pretty typical for the Greek Islands.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Just returned from week long break at the Domes. My review is much along the lines of other reviews. The hotel is very very good but not perfect which I guess is what we expect from a five star.

Location:
The hotel is built into the hillside overlooking the beautiful bay and Spinalonga island. It is a 15 minute walk to the pleasant village of Plaka with its sprinkling of gift shops and tavernas. In the opposite direction it is about 2 miles to the larger resort of Elounda with its pretty quayside, tavernas and shops. 7 Euro in taxi from hotel.
There is nothing else in the immediate vacinity to the hotel.

Hotel;
The hotel is very modern and has some beautiful public areas, great lounges and bars overlooking the bay. The SPA looked very swish although we didn't use it. There is a childrens club which looked very popular. The hotel provide a 'bus stop' service which is basically golf carts which ferry guests from beach/reception areas to the rooms which are up quite steep hills. We used them a few times but tended to just walk up ourselves, not for anyone with mobility difficulties. There are three restaurants, the main one being buffet style which was excellent, although after a week we were getting a little bored of it but I guess that is to be expected. There is also a michellin restaurant on the beach front (Topos). We were lucky to have been given a complimentary dinner there, the food was lovely but portions miniscal, had we been paying the extortionate prices I would have been disappointed.
I, like other reviews, would just like to say how absolutely lovely all the staff were, the customer service training was second to none, particular mention to Savas who went over and above the call of duty to make you feel welcome.

Room:
We had Room 119 which was on the first level with a private pool. I was intitially a little disappointed that the jacuzzi was located in the bathroom as I would have liked it to be outside with the pool as hotel website picture shows. The pools are not heated and being October even though weather warm and sunny the pools were sub zero so outside jacuzzi would be preferable. They are quite small but we were happy with our pool even though in very close proximity to next door's pool but on slightly different level. See my photo. The suite was very nice, bed very comfortable even though as previous review says, not a proper mattress as expected in 5*. The bathroom I found very dark and oppressive and a bit spooky. The rainforest shower (which only blasted out water from half of the nozzle) was located over the jacuzzi and to turn it on we had to climb inside to reach the taps on the other side, anyone having ever climbed in and out of a jacuzzi will know what that felt like. Also no shower curtain soaked the floor everytime used and water never hot enough. We also had water dripping from the ceiling over the wc presumably from room upstairs, we complained and a man was sent to sort it out. He wiped the wall and left. It continued, by the state of the ceiling this was an old problem, we have done our part by reporting, expect ceiling will fall in one day. Excellent aircon system in lounge and bedroom and very quiet at night.

A bit disappointed not a 'proper beach' there is a very narrow strip of 'sand' where the land joins the sea which has the sunbeds. The sand is a dirty brown gravel which is fine for sunbeds but not really for bucket and spades although the children still try, but this is typical of this part of Crete which is fine but not as the hotel website portray. The beach is reached through an underground tunnel from the hotel under the road. We enjoyed our stay very much even though far too many babies and toddlers for our liking especially in the dining room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BRENTONIAN
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila

Been to Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!