I was sold this holiday as a family friendly accommodation which for so many reasons is completely untrue.
1) there is a three hour transfer from the airport. It is the last stop on the transfer bus. On our arrival at 4:30 am, the Olympic rep who had picked up her car from the centre of Elounda, drove past me as I struggled up the famous steep climb from the road with 50kg of baggage and two very young children that I had to wake up only seconds below. I watched in disbelief as in 27 degree heat I dragged my stuff up the hill and she stood there and watched.
2) it's fair enough that you have to pay for the air conditioning , but when you arrive at 4:30 am in 27 degree heat with a five year old and a seven year old the least you expect is the temporary loan of a fan or maybe the smallest bottle of water in the fridge.
3) the place is clearly not marketed for children (ours was a last minute deal) and whilst the famous Anna is great With the kids, some of the clientele were clearly not suited at having their peace shattered by kids doing what kids do.
4) The pool is small with a three foot by six shallow area then a sheer drop off to five foot.
5) the walk into Elounda is a good 30 minutes with kids in tow and long stretches of e sea wall are without railings.
6) the cooking facilities are very meagre, two inadequate electric rings, a frying pan and a massive pot. Don't come planning on doing much cooking.
Having said all that we've had a fab holiday and made the best out of the situation. We hired a car and did a lot of the family stuff (aquariums, dinosaur exhibitions, acqua plus watermark, submarine in ag Nikolaus). And we had some great family meals in Elounda.
I saw this holiday as a great way to introduce my kids to the kind of holiday I want them to enjoy in the future when they're past the all inclusive, kids club type places. I travelled for years around Asia and this place has the friendly do it yourself feel of some of the places I stayed in during that time. Anna gets a lot of mentions in these reviews and none of that is an exaggeration. She's a gem and nothing is too much trouble.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Kavos Bay Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kavos Bay Apartments Hotel Elounda
- Kavos Bay Apartments Elounda, Crete