“Tranquil and traditional”

Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel
Ranked #11 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 19 September 2013

There is lots to like about this hotel but it will not be everyones choice. If you are looking for a peaceful and quiet traditional summer holiday by the seaside then this will be hard to beat. However, if you prefer the full service American Resort style hotels or the opulance and service of the Far East then you may be disappointed.

Overall the hotel is immaculate and very clean but as it is furnished in a simple cretan style (all quality) it has a more "eighties" feel to it. There is nothing wrong with that but as the world has moved on it feels more like a 4 star property rather than the graded 5 star (In my experience this is quite common in Greece).

The overall feel for the property will probably suit older couples and young families who want to spend time with the children rather than rely upon kids clubs.

The hotel's strength is its position and it is extremely peaceful with nice grounds that meander down to the sea with beautiful views across Mirabello Bay and is perfect for an early evening gin and tonic. The little sandy beach is ideal for swimming safely. It is all too easy to spend the entire day by the beach and do nothing. If you want to be more active there are a full range of water sports available (water skiing, sailing etc) and the team that run it are very helpful. The sun loungers are relatively well spread out so you are not sitting on top of one another! We were there in early September so getting one was not a problem but I would wonder about that in peak season. I would highlight that in September the sun disappears behind a hill shortly after 6pm and they close down the bar at the beach at 6pm.

When we were there the pool (near main building and short walk from beach) was hardly used and there was plenty of space there. The fitness gym is very small and not tempting to use at all.

As regards rooms, my wife and I had a sea view suite in the main building and our children had a standard sea view room on the third floor. Both were simply furnished and they felt a little bit too simple and eighties in their style. However, they did the job given we only used them to sleep and change in. They both had excellent views. One point I would highlight is that the shower cubicle is a tad on the small side. The suite did have a better layout but didn't offer much more than the standard room.

We found the food for dinner at both the Yacht Club and Old Mill to be very good and worth going to (note they do not open every night). The main "Deck" restaurant is, in my view, nothing special and whilst fine for breakfast did not draw me for dinner. This though is not a problem as the majority will want to go to Elounda village (20 mins walk or short taxi ride) or go to Agios Nikolaos (15 mins taxi ride) for dinner at various points. Others have mentioned the high cost of food and drinks, however, I would question that as I think they are standard quality hotel prices. In comparison you can eat out very cheaply in the local restaurants.

Overall I am a bit in two minds, there is a lot to like but I feel it is missing a little in opulance and facilities to be a true five star property. However, for a peaceful week by the beach in the sun it is hard to beat and as finding these sorts of hotels is difficult I think we may well come back.

Room Tip: All appear to have great views but to be sure I would go for the 3rd floor and above if staying in t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 14 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a terrific 10 day stay at the Elounda Mare. The elements which we found outstanding included it's location, a genuine desire to make us feel welcome by all staff, all round service, accommodation (room 601) with it's spectacular views, cleanliness, food, grounds, swimming pool.......what more does anyone want or need? Yes, it's not cheap but it's definitely worth it. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We just loved our room (601). Fantastic views. Two bathrooms with separate sitting area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have visited the Elounda Mare on several occasions now and have never been disappointed. The staff, the accommodation, the beach all faultless. As always the only issue was that we couldn't stay longer!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr_Mrs_Baxter
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We chose here to get married/honeymoon due to the gorgeous grounds and amazing views. We were not disappointed, even better than all the pictures! Julie the wedding coordinator was brilliant and made everything so easy for us, took all the hard work and stress out of it so I never got nervous or worried at all! All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Housekeeping ladies are lovely and friendly and very good. Came twice a day to supply fresh towels and pick up after us. Reception staff and porters were wonderful and so helpful. We got a free room upgrade after a couple of days to a villa with pool which was wonderful but the main hotel suites are fine and the fact you are up higher means you get the best views. Could have just sat on the balcony for the whole 2 weeks.
The childrens ark is great and our 2 year old loved spending some time in here, only so much sun they can handle at that age! Jenny in particular was a god send and babysat for us several nights, she even came to our rescue at the last moment after the wedding dinner when we had a very tired and grumpy toddler to contend with.
The only negative I could find was during the day there wasn't many staff around so if you were sunbathing on rocky area by the sea, pool or sitting in the gorgeous old mill restaurant it was pretty hard to get service as it was one lady serving all areas. Not that big a deal really when your on holiday but if you are paying 7 Euros for a coke you don't want to be waiting for 20 minutes. The Beach bar and Room service on the other hand are very good.
Elounda village is gorgeous and so many places to eat and drink by the sea that we ending up going in most days as wanted to try them all. It is a half hour walk but wouldn't want to try it with buggy as they are not keen on pavements and roads are narrow. Taxi only 6 euros and they are there within minutes of calling. Prices in the village are very reasonable.
We are already planning next years visit here and have fallen in love with Elounda Mare!

Room Tip: Villas with private pools are brilliant but if you want the amazing view you get with the main hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kelly s
Reviewed 23 August 2013

So peaceful, salt water pool, private beach, lovely people, just amazing. I went with my brother, Mother and Father and it was definitely what you pay for.
The restaurants are a little on the expensive side, but you can eat out on a 10 minute trip to the little Elounda square - would recommend Paradosiako especially if you want quick, good quality service for alright prices.
Honeymoon, business, family, friends, on your own - you name it! A great escape to relax from stress, anything! Just amazing.

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY recommend it!!!

Room Tip: Seaview room! Go for that! Otherwise, on the expensive side, a room with a private pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma V
Reviewed 22 August 2013

After being extremely disappointed with the Blue Palace. I contacted the Elounda Mare for a room for my 3 night stay. I had stayed here in the past when I was 16 on a family trip to Greece. I asked for a bungalow with a private pool. I managed to book the last one they had and was given 300 EUROS off with tax and breakfast. I arrived to the front desk and was greeted by Eleni and Christana who were so kind and welcomed me back to the hotel. I was showed to my bungalow by Christana who was so gracious and warm. The pictures of this hotel did not lie about how private the bungalows are! When my brother and I stayed here in 2001 we had a similar room with a private pool overlooking the sea. The rooms and service haven't changed at all since then! The breakfast that was included with the room was also spectacular and delicious. The amount of activities this hotel has to offer is overwhelming and they will arrange it for you in a heartbeat! Another perk of this hotel is the onsite private beaches which are so wonderful. My favorite spot is right near the rocks on the other side of the main beach. It is quite and private! This hotel in my opinion is the place to stay if you are looking for a true Greek Island rustic hotel experience. There is no place like this in all of my travels and I will only stay here! This should be #1 on the list of hotels in Elounda Beach. Hats off to Elounda Mare and well done for being consistent.

Room Tip: any room! They all have great views and are extremely comfortable
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ZP83
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband, 5 year old daughter and I stayed at the hotel during the last week of July/first week in August. It was our second visit, having already stayed there the same time last year.

Many members of staff remembered us from last year. Reception staff made a special effort remembering our daughters name and kept asking her how she was during our stay.

We stayed in a bungalow with private pool near to the beach. Room was spacious and clean.
The sandy beach has clean waters and you could always find sunbeds whatever time of day you visited.

Views are absolutely amazing.

Staff were always friendly and helpful in all parts of the hotel.

Food in all restaurants is good, especially the Old Mill. It is a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for especially in the Old Mill. The staff were always extremely accommodating when asking if they could make something special up for our daughter.

It is a quiet, relaxing type of hotel and can honestly say it is hard to fault.

Roll on next year when we will be back again !!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family