All reviewsyacht clubold milldeck restaurantprivate poolsister propertydeluxe bungalowfish nightsix sensesmain buildingbest hotels in the worldaglio oliocretan styleparadise on earthglass of champagnehotel groundsbit datedhalf board
Reviewed 27 September 2006

As soon as we entered the hotel I felt right at home. The girl at the reception was very friendly and polite. Even though it was our first visit to this hotel, they have upgraded us (without us asking for it) to a bungalow instead of a main building room. When we arrived at the bungalow (escorted by the girl from reception of course..), we were amazed-the room was filled with lighted candles and Jasmine flowers. The room was very clean (especially the huge bathroom overlooking the bay).

The pool and beach are not big but seems to be enough since the hotel is not very big.

I recommend this hotel to everyone who appreciates class and does not mind sharing his vacation with an elderly crowd.

My plan is to save enough money to be able to enjoy this hotel next summer-it may be expensive but it is totally worth it!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Anat M
Reviewed 19 September 2006

This hotel is amazing. We were on our honeymoon and the place is so romantic, private and the hotel and grounds are beautiful. I was concerned as some reviewers had stated that they did not feel welcomed. The service is excellent at this hotel, however, the staff is not overly friendly. This is the only critisism I could possibly have. It didn't bother us though and the hotel makes up for it. The other guests appeared to be old European money with a few young honeymooners mixed in. I would highly recommend this hotel as the beach, pool, grounds and restaurants are excellent. It is also in a good location as it is a cab ride from Elounta and Nikolaus both of which were really nice to walk around and for dinner.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank gwelson
Reviewed 14 June 2006

We moved here after starting at their sister Peninsula. We stayed in a presidential suite which was amazing value for money, huge, overlooking the sea. We had a baby and did not feel at all that this was an adults only place although there is a more stylish and quieter feel to the place compared to the resort hotels either side.

Contrary to a previous reveiw, the Old Mill was fantastic, the maitre dee a real prize asset and great guy. Yacht club and staff really nice. In fact the Mare staff are perhaps the friendliest I have ever seen in a hotel.

You can still get a free transfer to use the spa at the peninsula and the other restaurants. This hotel is the haven away from the husltle and bustle of the Elounda Beach and Elounda/Peninsula. Often overlooked, perhaps because it appears French (its not), this hotel is the only one we would come back to time and time again.

Stayed: June 2006
11  Thank sydneyjones
Reviewed 11 June 2006

My husband took me here for the last day of my 30th birthday celebration in Crete last week, the fabulous husband he is!

Tan and relaxed, we rolled up to this Relais & Chateaux and Leading Hotels of the World property. It being on the cusp of high season, the front wasn't busy which is good, considering the driveway is small. (No, that is not a gripe, merely an observation.) Our rental car was relatively dirty from a week of driving around the mountains and hidden beaches of Crete. I immediatlely felt self-conscious because we both looked a bit, um, beach bummish and Elounda struck me as the kind of property that instructs its staff to turn away dirty people. (I assure you that my husband and I are your typical yuppies on non-vacationing days.) Anyway, fears aside, the bellman was very helpful with our bags.

We stepped inside this amazing property and went to the front desk where we were greeted by an instantly recognisable condescending man. After checking us in with the normal chit chat he handed us a glass of champagne and showed us to our bungalow. Our bungalow was very close to the main hotel which was good and bad. He spent some time showing us around our room and opening the patio doors that spilled into the private pool. (Provided, of course, the smaller bungalow next to ours is not booked, which it was not.) It was gorgeous. The pool, we believe, is pumped with filtered sea water and looked gorgeous against the unobstructed views of the Mediterranean. (Although we feel western Crete gets better sun...and sunsets.)

This is where the Above Average (4 dot; although I'd rather give it 3.5 dots) review comes in: from the moment we checked in throughout the 'tour' of our room (which was very large and had an amazing bathroom, even if the furniture seemed a bit dated) to the minute we pushed him out the door, he kept noting we were only staying one night, as if we weren't worthy or wealty enough to stay longer. I played good cop to my husband's growing annoyance by saying that maybe something was lost in the translation. It happens. Fine. He left (with no tip because being shown to my room is something that I can and would do on my own) making us feel like we were paupers...and like we should tip him. (I HATE when people do that.)

My husband had booked a dinner for us that night at The Old Mill weeks before but we were told during our room tour that the hotel had made a reservation for us at The Yacht Club. Confused why our booking would be changed, we were told there was a big party the night before and The Old Mill couldn't be ready in time for dinner 24 hours later. After taking a much needed dip in our private pool we went to The Old Mill for a light lunch. (I'm still confused why we could eat lunch there but not dinner. But as I am not a restaurateur, I am sure there is more that goes into dinner.) We had a lovely waitress, a great view and a refreshing breeze. The food was simple but good. Yeah, as some other reviewers have noted, it is pricier (I think my salad was 13 Euros) than the rest of Crete, but come on, it is a resort...it's to be expected.

We lounged around for a while until our dinner reservation. It is truly a wonder to eat outside. If I could do it every day, I would. The food was good, but not great. (I took a look at the menu of The Old Mill and it was way more appealing despite being told the food was the same.) I think our meal was around 150 Euros, which by NYC standards is normal, but for Greece...hmm. Again, it's a resort.

Yes, this property attracts an older crowd but the older crown generally has more money to spend on expensive holidays! It was a quiet evening which was fine by us. Our pool wasn't heated so it was a bit chilly to take a midnight swim which was okay since we entertained ourselves doing other things.

The next morning we went to the buffet breakfast on the terrace. Decent service, as I don't really care for servers fawning over me..especially at breakfast! Did I notice better attention being lavished on the Germans? (See earlier posts.) No. But do I care? No. My God, don't blame the Germans! I read the review about being stuck there on 9/11 and I was shocked. Behaviour like THAT is unacceptable, but being nice Germans and not Americans? I think there's too much being read into that.

Because we had to check out in the afternoon to catch our flight to Athens, we took advantage of the strong Greek sun and found ourselves a secluded stretch of rock by the sea. I'm being high-maintenance here, but when there are permanent umbrellas with a table at a 5 star resort, I sort of expected someone would come around asking if we wanted something to drink or eat. I apologise for being momentarily high-maintenance.

We checked out with the same guy that checked us in. Sigh. What this really long review boils down to is being treated poorly by one or two individuals. Really, this resort is great. It is hands down the most beautiful view I've ever had in a hotel. While I can't claim that I ONLY stay in 5 star establishments like other reviewers, I have stayed in great places around the world. I would definitely go back for a day, a week, a month...all summer. And I'd probabaly end up buying some of the shiny jewellery that teased me in the window of the shop.

In short: This is a one-of-a-kind property for people that love resorts and aren't afraid to spend money. If anyone is rude, tell them! (Or just don't tip 'em.)

9  Thank TrailBlazer802722
Reviewed 31 October 2005

The Elounda Mare is a lovely hotel with good rooms and beautiful grounds. It had immense potential but lack in quite a few ways. The rooms although a good size ( we had a standard bundalow with private pool) are dated and need refurnishing. They are OK but not when you consider that this is a five star hotel charging 5* prices. The towels provided were really small and not at all fluffy and the shower was tiny.

Restaurants - the buffet restarant is so-so - I thought the food was not great and overpriced. The Old Mill and Yacht club are both nice I would recommend them. The staff seemed nicer in these as well. I actually saw the maitre d' at the buffet restaurant telling off a couple who had inadvertently got their breakfast before being shown to a table!!! They had obviously just arrived and didn't know the drill. I think this is inexcusable!

Pool - lovely - but the deckchairs were awful rusty things which have been around years - supposedly there is a watersports centre, but you are lucky to ever find anyone there and during off-season the spa is only manned if the therapist is not treating anyone!!!

Its a shame that the management do not improve on these small things as the hotel has great potential, but I would say it is more 4* than 5*

• Stayed: October 2005
10  Thank kkk747
Fotis_Kokotos, Member of the Board at Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2009

We would like to thank our guest for their kind words and address the few remarks they have made about our facilities: this being 2009, more than 3 years after this guest’s stay, we have gone through another renovation of the few rooms and suites that had more than four years without a touch-up, and we can proudly say that there are now only private pools throughout the hotel; forty (!) of them, actually. We have, naturally, upgraded our linen, created a wine-cellar, invested even more in staff training, and added a host of new facilities: our spa services are consistently rated among the world’s best since 2006, when we opened our grand new Six Senses Spa, and we have also added numerous energy-saving technologies like geothermal cooling, extensive solar arrays, and heat recovery from air-conditioning. The Elounda Mare is a hotel with only 79 rooms and suites, and we make a point of doing our best for our guests and for the planet.