We stayed here 7 nights, and it was really nice, with good facilities. But boy was it expensive - we expected it to be, but we were surprised a couple of times. Overall though very high quality hotel, facilities and service, though the latter fell off a cliff after we checked out, whole waiting for our evening transfer to the airport.
First off, the registration was efficient and polite. We arrived after 9:30 so they provided a cold plate for us im the room. Nothing special but fresh and plentiful.
The room was clean and had a beautiful view of the sea, but there were 3 of us, and they simply opened out the sofa in the same room which would have been provided if there were only 2 of us.
The facilities were good - a quiet and attractive beach, with a lovely pool, which was not at all busy. There were watersports and sailing trips, as well as golf, football and tennis.
There were several restaurants on site, and as we booked half-board, dinner in the buffet was included - it was pretty good, but what I would call standard tourist fare, though the salads were fresh and there was a good choice of hot dishes (drinks were
charged extra). On three occasions we chose not to eat there (it was too samey to eat there every day), and we we were give a €40 credit against one of their other restaurants, for use the same day. That doesn't sound too bad until we found that a simple lunch for 2 adults and a child was typically €70-80! We did find a lovely little taverna down the road called Akrohoria (a quick taxi ride away) where the food was excellent and very reasonably priced in comparison.
A final disappointment awaited us after checkout; we were refused a late checkout (even at our cost) but our cases sat in the unlocked room for 5 further hours. We could not charge lunch to our room, as we had already closed out account) and the on site restaurant we went to did not take credit cards. The nearest cash machine is in Elounda, a taxi ride away, but they will exchange money at reception - but it was a difficult exercise because they explained the bank takes a 6% commission, but what they actually meant was that they charge €6 (I doubt the bank has anything to do with it, because the rate applies was already 4% away from the spot rate).
All in all it was a lovely stay, but at the price I felt the service could have been a little more polished. And if you insist on handling the foreign exchange in such a ham-fisted way, get an ATM installed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only golf-and-spa resort on Crete is a whole world on its own, with the "World's Best Spa" according to the Sunday Times' "Travel" magazine 2007. Rooms and suites all have panoramic views of the bay of Elounda over the green expanse of the golf course's 9 holes. Children are particularly well catered for, with a dedicated facility offering indoor and outdoor play areas, a lawn-laid olive-grove, a water-park and a sports field. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Bookgreece.com, Expedia, Destinology, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Booking.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Agoda, HRS, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Elounda Deluxe Hotel Elounda
- Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort Crete