“Relaxation with the Gods”

Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Elounda
Maryland
“Relaxation with the Gods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

I stayed at Porto Elounda for 6 days with my wife and 17 y/o old daughter. In short, the stay was magnificent. I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms (not a bungalow or villa) and had a swimming pool at the doorstep of my room, which I found to be perfect after a physical workout each morning.

From the moment we arrived (and were greeted with a special Island fruit juice drink by the front desk staff) we found the stay to be excellent. Staff were very friendly and professional. The housekeeping service was excellent --- prompt, courteous -- and I found the ironing service (even though I was on vacation, there were a couple nites I found the need to have my shirts pressed and ironed) to be first rate.

The food was excellent --- from the Calypso, 5 star evening dinner -- to the morning breakfast buffets, to the special Greek nite of entertainment and dining, and more.

We found the local village of Elounda to be relaxed, quaint and very friendly.

I would recommend this resort to friends and collegues.

Special thanks to Vicki (front desk staff) and the maitre-de at breakfast each day.

• Liked — Location --- it was out of the way and a very relaxed location
  • Disliked — internet access
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

We spent 2 weeks at Porto Elounda with our 18 month old daughter and really enjoyed it! The room was lovely, hotel facilities good and the staff were so helpful. Our little girl enjoyed going to The Ark, which had lots of different toys and was air-conditioned.

I would highly recommend Porto Elounda!

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

We just recently stayed at Porto Elounda as a surprise 60th birthday party for my mother. She thought we were going to Cornwall, UK (she's from the States, but I live in the UK currently). I made all the reservations on-line, and was happy with the initial TripAdvisor reviews. Imagine my horror 5 days before we were to arrive that all the reviews had gone from good to catastrophic. The headline was that there was terrible construction going on, and it was not relaxing. Yes, there were 2 buildings being worked on nearby but you never heard any construction noise at all.

There were 9 of us in total - ranging in age from 2 to 64. Everyone had a superb time. We rented 4 rooms, and our room was a 2 story suite with shared pool that was FABULOUS for us and our 2 children to share. Our group utilized ALL the services of the resort: spa, Children's Ark, gym, babysitter, restaurants, etc. The spa was out of this world, my children (ages 2 & 4) BEGGED to go back to the Children's Ark so they went twice, And yes, you do have to pay a fee but it is well worth it. The babysitter are employees of the children's center so your kids get to know them before they show up in your room. We just did the half day (10-2 pm) for the center and that was just enough for everyone to get a break, and the kids to have a great time.

The beach was small but nice with crystal clear water. The pool, while very welcoming to small kids didn't scare away the adults with too much kid noise. Bar was ridiculously expensive, but it's a holiday - if you can't afford your drinks, don't go on vacation.

The town nearby was a quick, cheap cab ride away (we rented a car and took that, too, but hard to park). The food was fantastic. Don't just visit Elounda, go all around. Really fab. The free breakfast buffet at the hotel is quite nice, and we had the half board thrown in, but instead of eating dinner there we smartly utilized our 20 Euro credit per person towards lunch at the Odysseus Tavern at the resort and that covered our lunches perfectly.

In general, we had lots of personalities to satisfy with this resort, and all were more than satisfied. Even my single, 31-yr old brother who likes to be "off the grid" loved this place.

Yes, it might not be overly posh with 1000-thread count sheets, but it was very very nice, and wonderfully comfortable. In addition, the staff in all areas were warm, friendly, and very helpful, We're a hard group to please, and we'd go back.

• Liked — The size of the rooms was fantastic Spa is amazing. Kids club really easy to use.
  • Disliked — No place to get a late lunch. We arrived lated and the lunch restaurant was closed, and the bar really doesn't have any snacks other than 3 types of (not good) sandwiches.
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

We have just returned from the Porto, and I can assure anyone going out there shortly that the major building works all appear to have been completed for the season. Apparently the noise was a problem earlier this year when they were demolishing old buildings and constructing the new ones, but from what we could see they are now mainly painting and finishing off.

Yes, you can hear the odd drill, but from where we were it was bearly discernable over the chirp of the cicadas and the gurgle of our shared pool. The area under construction has been screened off from view, and it certainly didn't affect our enjoyment of the hotel. The view of the sea from some of the lower hotel rooms has been reduced because the new buildings are a storey higher than the bungalows they replace, but I guess that's expansion for you. If I hadn't been before I wouldn't know how great the view used to be, and it's still lovely to overlook the golf course and see a bit of the med above the rooftops.

The staff remain as friendly as ever, especially in the main restaurant, and the food on the half board buffet option was plentiful and varied. We were treated very well indeed and would love to have stayed longer than a week.

If you're about to go there please don't worry about the negative reviews concerning the building works - I read them before I left and panicked that the noise would be awful. But I honestly barely noticed a thing, and I'm really fussy!! Have a fab time - I wish I was still there!!

• Liked — Fantastic staff
  • Disliked — Price of drinks at the bar
Prestwick in Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

Have just returned from our second visit to this hotel. Our first visit was 3 years ago, when they had no notice of our reservation, so upgraded us to a bungalow. Although we don't often return to hotels, we had enjoyed it so much that we decided to go back this year and are glad that we did. The hotel is in a beautiful setting on Mirabello Bay, where the light over the hills constantly changes. We had a spacious room with a large balcony on the 4th floor of the wing that was being built the last time we were there. We wanted a relaxing holiday and had that with thanks to the staff, who couldn't be more helpful and friendly. The head waiter remembered that we had been there before, as did a man on reception. We appreciated the little touches of being invited for cocktails and the gift we received before leaving. I would certainly go back again.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2008

Unless you're a construction worker looking for a busman's holiday, do not stay at this hotel until you have proof positive that the major construction project has been completed.

We stayed in a deluxe suite with shared pool (OK - nothing special) and left after one night because of the building work right in the centre of the hotel grounds. Angle grinding, JCB diggers and hammering at 8am - no thank you.

To be fair, the guest relations staff here and at their sister hotel Elounda Mare (see review), along with Olympic Holidays, our operator, were very helpful and efficient at moving us without argument when we complained. Shame that the same cannot be said for the hotel management who were not especially welcoming on arrival nor apologetic on departure 18 hours later.

Might be a great hotel - didn't hang around to find out, but what we did experience was poor.

• Liked — helpfed us to get out quickly
  • Disliked — Major construction project
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank DenbyBlade
Brussels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

I just returned from 7 days in Porto Elounda Deluxe with my man and 22-month old daughter.

First, the positive sides: the hotel is very well located, with beautiful view on the deep blue sea, it's quite impressive when you arrive from Heraklion as the road goes down the hill to the creek. Inside, the hotel is immaculate, we had a room with shared swimming pool, directly accessible from our terrace. The bathroom was large, the baby cot was there upon our arrival (I did send a mail to the hotel in advance asking for confirmation), the cleaning lady comes back before the night to prepare the bed etc.. nothing to say on that side., except that rooms could be better acoustically insulated. Staff was very friendly, they all seem to enjoy having babies around, especially the staff in the main restaurant (breakfast and diner) was very kind and helpfull. They proactively bring a babychair at your table, and never refuse to warm a baby's milk bottle. Food is ok but not very diverse, I would have expected to get much more fish instead of chicken or pork. We did not use the Children's Ark, though it looked nice. Our travel agent told us it was included in the price, while it was not and appeared to be quite expensive (32 euros for half a day, without lunch). Beach area is nice and very clean, with lots of beach chairs.

Now, the negative sides.... Hotel is expanding, meaning the main building (where most of the rooms are located) is surrounded by two construction sites. Seven days a week, from morning till end of afternoon (they don't even stop during the nap, so forget about siesta!), there were noisy trucks passing along the building, cranes digging, jackhammers, jigsaws... The only way to let our baby sleep after lunch was to close all windows very carefully. It is for me unacceptable that the hotel management considers it as normal to do heavy works while the high season begins. This hotel pretends to be "luxe category", so I would expect to be able to sit and relax without the permanent trouble of works! The family beside us asked for another room, and only get it after escalation to the manager of their italian travel agent; frontdesk told them (and us) that the hotel was fully booked, while it looked like only be at 40% of its capacity as the beach area and restaurant were far from crowded!
Another negative point: check out is at noon, while our taxi back to the airport was at 5pm. The day before our departure, we asked the frontdesk to keep our room. They said our room was already reserved for people arriving the next day, so we could not keep it. They offered to move us to a single room (again, pretending the hotel was fully booked which I absolutely can not believe), from 2pm to 4pm only! Can you imagine how funny it is, with a baby, to have to pack your luggage for noon, then wait for 2 hours in the lobby, then get another room for a couple of hours, then have to wait for 1 more hour in the lobby! Finally, they proposed us to keep our room (??) for a consideration of... 100 euros!!!! Making extra money on every occasion is a real leitmotiv. Not acceptable.

I guess the hotel management will respond with lots of arguments, like the fact that we did not use the wonderful spa etc etc (maybe I should have had some massages to relax a bit from the noisy environment!), but I would like them to consider that, while paying for an expensive stay at this so-called luxe hotel, the least we expect is tranquility and maybe some "extra mile" in the service offered. This was absolutely not the case at Porto Elounda. I will not recommend it to friends nor go back again.

• Liked — The beautiful view, the cleanliness
  • Disliked — The noisy works around the hotel, the money paid to keep the room for a few hours
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family