“Luxurious facilities and fantastic staff”

Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Luxurious facilities and fantastic staff”
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

We have just enjoyed a relaxing break at this hotel in a room which has direct access to a shared pool. I must start by admitting I am very fussy. The bed was super comfy and the room had a huge flat screen TV and DVD player which we enjoyed watching some DVD's we had brought with us. There was a comfy 2 seater sofa and table with fresh flowers and fruit plate. Good sized mini bar. Huge bathroom with slipper bath, separate shower, WC and bidet. Also his+hers sinks and grey marble floors , counters and walls.
The room itself felt very luxurious as did the public spaces. There is a nice selection of vintage type furniture and curios as well as nice art on walls and colourful gardens.
The service was fantastic from start to finish. Even when I got stroppy with the pool guy who was politely telling me that I couldn't sit in the private area. There are a range of visitors from late 20s to extended families and retired couples.
When on the beach we noticed that the Russian guests often drew attention to themselves shouting on mobile phones for hours on end or smoking extremely stinky cigars.
In the spa we had great massages and enjoyed the gorgeous facilities and peace until a group of 4 drunk young Russian 20somethings came in with a 1.5 litre bottle of vodka and cavorted around taking photos, being loud, posing and falling over. A very polite member of staff eventually came over and told them they couldn't bring their own glass vodka bottles to the poolside. We decided to come back to the spa another day when it was more peaceful.
The views of the sea and islands are lovely from our room and the communal areas. The breakfast was delicious and had a varied selection. We went to the neighbouring Elounda Mare chateau+relais for dinner a couple of nights and really enjoyed the great service, food and ambience there too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cathy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 May 2014

just returned from a week vacation at Porto Elounda and can I'm still wondering whether the hotel deserves his 5-Star.

Pros:
- Good location
- Nice beach and pool setting
- Kid friendly: Chidren's Ark area and personnel were very nice
- Rooms: nicely sized and setup. There could use a bit of refreshment though

Cons:
- food options: While I understand that the high season has not kicked in yet, a lot of restaurants are partially or completely closed leading to a limited offer. For example for lunch, the only option (except the beach bar which offers a Club Sandwich for 18 euros) is the Italian Restaurant which is also a bit steep despite offering quality food (same for all the restaurants incl the buffet)

- Pricing: this was the kicker for me. 6.5 euros for a bottle of water (Evian?!), 2.5 to 3.5 euros for (very) small Diet Coke. Food was also overpriced. People are better off taking a cab or driving to Elounda a grab a meal there.

Lastly upon check out, my bill could not be closed until the mini bar has been checked without relying on the customer's word (they were really really insistent on this). Hotel management even sent on of their associates to make sure I said the truth. It's the first time in 10+ years of travel that I come accross such a situation which was truly unacceptable.

Overall, the nice experience was offset by the hotel penny-pinching policy. I do believe that they would benefit from lowering their food and beverages prices

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mat77
EloundaSA, Public Relations Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to review porto elounda Golf & Spa resort, and thank you for your very positive comments regarding the location, the private sandy beach and pool area,the Kids Ark area and our staff. Thank you also for your positive comments regarding the size and setup of the rooms.
Regarding your comments about lunch please note that we offer 5 different options: The restaurant,the snack bar,the beach menu,the yacht Club restaurant at the elounda mare hotel as well as room service. Regarding prices, we offer snacks from 7€ and a lunch menu which has starters from 9€ and main courses starting at 18€.An Evian bottle of water costs 6,5€ while in other resorts in the Mediterranean the price is above 10€ but we also offer the option of an non branded local mineral water at the price of 4,7€.
Once again we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property,for your positive comments and for giving us the opportunity to reply to your remarks.
Ilias S. Kokotos
France
Reviewed 2 March 2014

1/ Setting and landscape are beautiful ; Rooms are ok

2/ The hotel management does not organize peaceful areas for adults; Families with todlers can go where they want in the hotel, pools,beach , gardens; Nice beach and garden but ruined by children noises.

3/ Restaurant by the beach does not meet today's clients expectations : very limited selection, very expensive, same menu for years. bland and starchy food. After two days , we had no other choice than to leave the beach and to drive to an outside restaurant.

I would invite the hotel managers (and owners) to visit other resorts , particulary in the far east and to revisit their hotel organization.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank John52France
EloundaSA, Public Relations Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort.
Thank you also for your positive comments and your remarks.
Regarding your comment about kids and toddlers please note that during the period you stayed with us (May 2013) 83% of our guests were couples, during school holidays this percentage of course changes, but porto elounda has one of the largest kids clubs in Crete which is over 4000sqm with indoor and outdoor areas,waterslides, an Arsenal Soccer School Camp, which as of 2014 will be operated by London based specialist company, World Wide Kids.
Regarding your remark that we offer our clients only one option for lunch, please note that do offer four more options:Lunch at our sister property Elounda Mare hotel, a snack bar, a room service menu and a beach menu which guests can find at the umbrellas of our private beaches. We are really sorry if all these options were not communicated to you.
Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to reply to your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to porto elounda Golf & Spa resort
Ilias Kokotos
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2014

We stayed here for 8 days in September 2013 and loved it! The staff were all very helpful and the locations and scenery was amazing! Beautiful room - we had a private pool and used it often (though the water was cold). Really enjoyed the food at the resort, though we did eat in town often.

The beach was very nice. There were a lot of children but it didn't bother us. We also booked a private yacht which was one of the highlights of the trip, they do group trips as well which I would highly recommend. As the rest of the reviews indicate, the spa is spectacular!

Overall we couldn't have picked a better place to spend our honeymoon and will definitely be back in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Andrew L
Uk
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I returned to this hotel again just after Greek Easter this year. Sadly I was not allowed to post another review immediately after this visit because of the 'wait 3 months' Trip advisor rule. Then I was travelling. My first review had mysteriously been erased and I rewrote it in April...before this visit..hence the wait. Sorry.

I wish to redress some of the negatives in my preceding review.

When I returned this year there was a new hotel manager and a new head chef at the Nafsika restaurant. I was very warmly welcomed...more like an old friend and, despite arriving very early, my room was ready AND I was taken to have breakfast. Despite having only just reopened after the winter AND just endured the manic Greek Easter invasion all appeared calm.

During my stay the Nafsika Restaurant went from strength to strength...the buffet improved, dinner was really nice and breakfast was great with far more choice...although I do wish they would get a really good muesli and have a bit more fresh fruit! But everything was SO much better than last year. It feels like a restaurant now as the standard has really improved. However, I agree with another review, the wine is ridiculously expensive - why not have jugs of local wine like most restaurants in Greece? (And I do think that the Maître D could do with loosening up a bit...he's rather dictatorial with his staff and that's not good in front of clients!). Having said that, he was always charming to me. That applies to all the staff, from the lovely lady who cleaned my room to the new manager who made a point of coming to speak with the residents in the evening. I cannot fault them. Each and every one that I came into contact with was professional, gracious, friendly and immensely helpful.

I had two meals at other restaurants and the high standard of service applied wherever I went. This is tricky for them. I travel alone and it would be easy for them to hide me in a corner and ignore me....but no, my treatment was exemplary! I really appreciated it...thank you!!

The spa is still a magical place. Miss Eli is an amazing person and every one of her staff possesses a calm, caring and ultimately very professional aura. They are just superb. They made me feel wonderful and cared for....a very special 'thank you'. In fact it is hard to find the words to describe how amazing the treatments are there....you always feel that their whole attention is on you, that they want this to be a perfect experience for you.....and it is! I came away feeling totally revived and nurtured. (Vasilis deserves a special mention!)

In summary.....Nafsika is much improved.....and I would highly recommend the hotel.....the spa makes you feel that you have gone to heaven......I'm saving up for 2014!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Greecian
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Porto Elounda is the place which I am in love with. I have spent 10 magic days there and everything, including stuff, rooms, food, beach, facilities made me feel the real care and a biggest pleasure! I think it's the place which has long time traditions, and this fact makes you to feel so safe and so calm! I stayed alone there, but I never felt boring as there is so beautiful place which it's so nice to discover! I have been before at 5 stars luxury places, but it didn't give me the feeling of big attention and warm care about me as about a customer. I would gladly come back there next vacations, and would advice it to my family too as its so nice for all people-kids, teens, adults..Big thanks to everyone there, who creates the best moments for those who is spending vacations at Porto Elounda! Guys, you are the best!!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Atihanovich
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed there for two weeks over October half-term with the family. Says is is a 5 star luxury hotel. We have stayed at lots of 5 star luxury hotels and I would say it is more 4 star and not that luxurious. Possibly worth staying if you can get it cheap.
Restaurants and bars are very expensive for what they offer.
If you go in October be prepared for its two sister hotels (and their associated restaurants and bars) to be shut. Some of its own restaurants were shut too.
Service and food at the supposedly upmarket Aglio e Olio were very poor. A wine list with only one out of 6 wines actually available, a maitre d' who got aggressive when we were trying to order wine and an undercooked pizza (causing a night of painful stomach gripes). Our guest would have returned the pizza at the time, but he didn't want to ruin the evening any further. We complained to the GM of the hotel and all he did was apologise.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Paul_Reviewer
EloundaSA, Public Relations Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. We would also like to thank you for filling out our questionnaire at which you made very positive comments regarding the front desk, transfers, our private sandy beach, the gardens, the water sports, the indoor pool, the shops, the mini bar, the Nafsika restaurant, the beach bar, the Kirki bar, the service,the comfort and cleanliness of your room.
To be honest , after reading your questionnaire, we were all very surprised with the overall poor rating you gave to our property at your tripadvisor review.
We suppose that this came from the unpleasant night you had at our Italian restaurant Aglio & Olio and we are really sorry about that. Regarding your comment that the hotel is "not that luxurious" ,please keep in mind that we have consciously kept a traditional style of decoration, combining it with all amenities and facilities of international 5 star standards and even more:
All rooms and suites feature an LDC 37'' flat screen tv, a dvd, a mini bar ,dressing table with hairdryer, electronic safety deposit box, hypo-allergic pillows and feather pillows ,a furnished private balcony. While the resort offers indoor and outdoor pools, an EU blue flag awarded private sandy beach, a multi-awarded Six Senses Spa, a 4000sqm Kids club, an Arsenal Soccer School Camp, a 9 hole par 3 golf course and many other facilities.
Thank you once again for reviewing porto elounda Golf & Spa resort and for giving us the opportunity to reply to your remarks.
Elias S. Kokotos