“Our recent holiday”

Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Our recent holiday”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We have just returned from this hotel, I thought some people were harsh in their reviews. The hotel was a good 4star, the staff all very considerate and pleased to help.

There was only one point I would make which was the sun loungers were taken by 9.30 am and some not even used. There seems a need for this problem to be addressed, other than that we had a very good weeks holiday. Thanks

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for the kind comments about your experience of the hospitality that we provide at the Elounda Bay Palace hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and you found our staff attentive. We have noted your comment about the sunbeds and we are taking action to prevent this situation happening in the future. We would be delighted to have the opportunity to see you again at the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

Manolis Rassoulis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

had a night flight!! horrible!! but on arrival at hotel found they had upgraded us to sea view and rolls, salads water, fruit had been provided for us. hotel excellent and staff very obliging. the beach and the garden area is not that big. we used next door (elounda beach) , and yes you can use!!. we checked!! although we were half board only used the evening meal facility on three occasions.overall the hotel is still wonderful and we will return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor website. It is always a pleasure to read how much our guests have enjoyed their stay with us at the Elounda Bay Palace. We offer such a wide range of venues and facilities between our two hotels that your hardest decision when on holiday here is where to try first. We look forward to welcoming you again next year.

hampshire
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Having stayed at Elounda Bay Palace 11 years ago were really excited to return.Having booked half board this time we weren't disappointed ,we knew the breakfast buffet was good but i think it's got even better and the evening buffet was equally as good every body catered for including children.The seating arrangements were a bit caotic some guests returned from the buffet to find their tables had been cleared for other guests,beware always leave someone on guard duty.The main hotel areas haven't changed and are still in immaculate condition and are spotless as are the rooms although the rooms could do with a 5* makeover as fitting with the Leading Hotels of the world label. The only downside was we had a very disruptive couple of people near our room too near for comfort for four out of seven nights of our stay the hotel staff handled this as best as they could but it gives the british a bad name

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank chillHampshire
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
We were delighted to welcome you again to the Elounda Bay Palace for another holiday at our unique resort. We regret that you were disturbed by disruptive behaviour we tried very diplomatically to inform the couple that their arguments and drinking was upsetting some other guests. Your comments about the seating arrangements for dinner and indeed the whole system will be under review this winter so we may improve and provide the dining experience with choices and options for all guests. Our accommodation is being renovated in stages and this winter the programme shall continue so we would look forward to seeing you again at the Elounda Bay Palace for a future stay.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2013

After reading the other review of Elounda Bay Palace before our trip, we were a bit apprehensive about what we would find when we got to Elounda. Luckily, we were extremely impressed by nearly everything we encountered during our 3 night stay.

Let me first say that no one is saying this hotel is a 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton, and I do think the price was fair given the half board, drinks, and location.

The entire staff that we met was so friendly (minus the towel/umbrella guys that weren't so nice) and we were always made to feel welcomed. We were invited to a manager's coctail hour which was SO nice and upscale. The food was OUTSTANDING. Truly, some of the best food we had in Greece during our entire 2 week honeymoon. Krista (?), this adorable tiny woman who was our server for both breakfast and dinner, was beyond lovely and so great. Unlike other reviews that said that the buffet was uncivilized, I found it quite the opposite. Whenever we went for meals, we found everything to be calm, well organized, and clean. Also, all of the common areas of the hotel were beautiful, well maintained, and decorated beautifully.

The room was definitely average, but we were greeted with a nice bottle of wine and plate of treats upon our welcome. One gripe I would have is that our bed was in fact 2 twin mattresses pushed together, so I found myself rolling into the crack in the middle every night. However, we booked the least expensive room so we weren't expecting 5 star.

All in all, I'd absolutely recommend Elounda Bay Palace and would absolutely return in the future. No question!

Room Tip: Honestly, the least expensive "Mountain view" rooms are just fine. There's so much to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your special honey moon memories with the Trip Advisor website readers. We are delighted that we were able to make special your start to your honeymoon. We wish you a lifetime of happiness and look forward to welcoming you, and future generations, back to the Elounda Bay Palace Hotel to relive our Cretan Hospitality.

melbourne
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My family and I visited the Elounda Bay Palace resort in August this year. We booked half board which included Breakfast and Dinner. The Food was Delicious and great quality...but it stops there!!
The rooms in this resort are very run down...needs a face lift,
The resort is very expensive...
Beach was clean .. and overal a comfortable stay. Manoli the head chef was very friendly.

Room Tip: Breakfast is buffet..can get hectic!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ayios
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Thank you for writing a review on the Trip Advisor website. We are delighted that you enjoyed the food and the overall experience here at the Elounda Bay Palace hotel. We look forward to welcoming you again and sincerely hope that you will write again on this website when you have seen the renovations and refurbishment that are planned for the winter.

Kind Regards,

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This was our first visit to this island and it did not disappoint. On arrival we were warmly greeted by two members of the reception team at our taxi, taken into the hotel where after the formalities we were informed that we had been upgraded to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were then escorted by the lovely Victoria and shown around our bungalow with seawater pool which was shared with two other bungalows. These bungalows were in a quiet area of the hotel grounds overlooking the Island of Spinalonga - a stunning view!

We too had earlier been worried about previous reviews posted here but from the arrival, throughout our stay up to our departure we found all the hotel staff, without exception, to be friendly, helpful, courteous and appear to be happy in their work.

If we were to make any critique it would be the buffet meals each evening which we did find to be repetitious although themed evenings were apparent we personally would not give this a 5* rating.

The Elounda Bay hotel is facing the stunning Bay of Mirabello and the island of Spinalonga and would recommend, subject fitness and temperatures, to walk from Elounda village across the causeway to the peninsula of Spinalonga up the mountain road and see the view from the top towards the Elounda Bay and Beach hotels. This view is just stunning looking across the deep blue ocean and well worth the trek!

Our thanks to the Management team at the Elounda Bay Palace we both had a very enjoyable holiday and intend to visit again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with the readers of the Trip Advisor website.
Many people have read the reviews on this site and we are always very happy to hear from anyone who is worried about a reservation. Indeed encourage people to contact the hotel where we have a reservations team dedicated to making all of our guest feel quite at home. We have also received a lot of correspondence from guests who support us and who thank us for the Cretan hospitality that they have enjoyed during their stay. It is so rewarding for all our staff for it to be acknowledged that all their hard work and efforts have enhanced your holidays here with us. We have noted your comments about the repetition of the buffet and our Food and Beverage manager shall be reviewing this and making changes. We look forward to welcoming you again to the Elounda Bay Palace for another holiday with us in the near future

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2013

There is a vast difference between Elounda Bay and Elounda Beach. (beware when booking).
My travel agent booked me on the latter property, being confident that the resort was a "Leading Hotels of the World" property. Clearly Leading Hotels of the World has not traveled to this property in recent times, and just accepts the fees paid by the hotel to be listed on their website.
Upon arrival late and tired from traveling all day, we were shown to our $459.00 Euro per night room. words can not express the disconnect of what I was seeing vs my expectation of what that rate would afford you.
We had a room that was tiny, decorated in bad 70's decor and facing the entrance of the hotel.
The one A/C unit was broken and blowing warn air into the room. the bathroom was horrible
and hot and had a creepy hole in the wall, I been to nicer hostels in my youth.
Upon complaining to that night manager about the air, they stated that there was not anything to be done until the morning, when the engineers would be back on the property.
That was just the beginning of the issues.
The following morning, we again asked to be transferred out of the room and for the air to be repaired while we waited because it was so humid and uncomfortable in the room.
While we waited we decided to go to breakfast. (bad move).
It was the most uncivilized experience...chaotic and frankly would make anyone loose their appetite, a crazed crowed of a hundred people trying to get to a buffet, with children running wild and adults pushing while trying to get to the sausage, really?
We left, now we are hungry and having not slept well due to a/c issue and not wanting to go back to the room, I went looking for the manager, who was hiding in her office and would not come out.
I packed my bags and waited in the lobby for an upgrade to Elounda Beach were the rooms I was told were nicer. They were fully booked so I had to wait for someone to check out.
6 hours later the hotel manager called me to tell me they had a room upgrade.
After showing me some figures on a notepad (was I buying a used car)??? is this a 4 star hotel?? Where am I?? oh wait Greece.
They upgraded me to a 795.00 Euro per night room.
I of course had to pay the difference. I was transferred to a larger room, facing the restaurant and the sports center. nicer, still hot and very noisy.
We were there for 4 days and then I once more had to move rooms because of a previous booking. This time I was transferred to a sea view room, very nice, still hot, only one small A/C unit per room and a bathroom that smelled like rotten eggs, same ugly decor and upon close inspection of the beautiful sea, we spot tons of toilet paper floating in the water.
courtesy, I assumed of a large Saudi boat, parked downwind of the hotel.
and or either the detritus of the hotel toilets, I have no idea, but I did not fancy a swim in the water.
The food was grossly overprice, as were the drinks. They tried on one of the restaurant to give us cheap vodka, after we had order Beluga vodka, when we complaint to the manager, he said the waiter had gotten confused...really?
The only nice part of the hotel was the beautiful spa.
The service in the rest of the hotel was terrible. (the staff has a major attitude).
at the time of check out, I was presented with a bill for my stay that reflected a price increase that was not agreed upon-they charged me $1000.00 Euros a night plus taxes.
The manager of course was nowhere no be found and I had to leave to catch my flight.
I was livid, they hotels knows you are trapped, the rooms are non refundable and you basically
have no recourse. would not recommend this hotel at all, steer clear of this property.
I will be sending a letter to Leading hotels of the world asking for an explanation.
With photos of the rooms, I am appalled that they would list Elounda Bay as Leading anything except an exceptional ability to deceive their client, which by the way are majority of Russian nationality and used to paying high prices for poor service I would assume? this would never happen or be allowed to happen in the States.
The only nice rooms, are the newer rooms by the spa. (if you must stay at this place).
Greek tragedy is an understatement.

Room Tip: Make sure you are booked at the Elounda Beach resort and not the Elounda Bay. Elounda beach is the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Nomadicbynature2014
ManagementCrete, General Manager at Elounda Bay Palace, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Oh Dear!! If the readers of the Trip Advisor website are as confused as we first were when reading this review, then may we be of assistance in shedding some light on to the root of the problem. Upon their arrival they discovered that their friends were accommodated at the sister hotel. All that followed this was a carefully orchestrated manoeuvre to obtain a complimentary room in the sister hotel with friends. Unfortunately there were limited options that the sister hotel had to offer as it was in peak season and fully booked. Obviously you can not pay 492 euros to the one hotel The Elounda Bay Palace, for a main building garden view accommodation half board with drinks, and expect to receive a waterfront suite with the rate of 1520 euros per night bed and breakfast, in the other hotel, The Elounda Beach without paying the extra rate. The rate we generously gave a 48% discount on, in order for the friends to be together, they agreed to pay was the exact amount of 795 euros. The hotels went out of their way to satisfy the demands of the reviewer and we are disappointed that the efforts of all our staff who were involved were obviously completely dismissed. On that note we have only to add that this website should not be a sounding board for racism. We have a varied international clientele in both of our hotels with no one nationality dominating and regret if for some people this is not acceptable.

With regards