My partner and I travelled to Elounda Blu, Elounda, Crete in September 2012 for our honeymoon.
After reading a few dubious reviews - although we couldn't find many reviews - we were a little apprehensive prior to our arrival. We need not have worried in the slightest. When booking we mentioned that it was going to be our honeymoon and we were greeted by congratulations at reception, gorgeous flower petals in the shape of a heart on the bed, a bottle of wine and a basket of lovely fresh fruit! A lovely surprise!
We had booked a junior suite with a private pool. The accommodation was lovely and spacious, having been recently refurbished, with two bathrooms (plus a random bath tub in the living area - bit strange?!), air-con, two balconies - one off the living area, one off the bedroom and then our own private decked area next to our pool. Although the pool wasn't massive - you couldn't swim lengths, it was perfectly adequate for our relaxing break - a dip to cool down as and when we liked without having to reserve sunbeds in a morning! We were lucky as our pool was not over-looked by anyone - a few of the others were - we could see as we were on the fifth floor of the hotel.
The room was cleaned daily - the maids were always smiling, and our towels were changed daily too. Our private pool was cleaned every-other day. The whole hotel - restaurant, reception and pool areas were always immaculate.
We were staying as all-inclusive guests. The food was varied and the hotel had different themed nights throughout the week. We have quite simple taste in food - so maybe didn't try as much of the local food as we could have done, it all looked lovely. During the day, you could get a snack by the main pool bar, although these weren't fantastic - if you didn't fancy a big lunch the grill bar wasn't included in the all-inclusive, so we paid for this on one of the days.
If we had to whinge about something it would be the trek up to our room. As the hotel is built into the side of a hill the rooms are staggered up the hill. We were at the very top on the fifth floor, and although it did get a little easier throughout the week. (On arrival this wasn't an issue - our luggage was carried up with us on a golf-type buggy!) Although the views were breath-taking, so worth the climb. So it did mean that we stayed in our suite and by our own pool more than we probably would have done if we hadn't of been such a distance from the main hotel area. This also meant that we couldn't take full advantage of the all-inclusive drinks - this was our main disgruntlement really! We couldn't just nip to the bar in the afternoon! We bought drinks from the very handy on-site shop downstairs in the hotel but we did go for a walk mid-afternoon each day and have a few drinks before returning to our suite. The all-inclusive allowed one meal in the a-la-carte Asian restaurant, which we decided to save for our last evening in the hotel. It was absolutely lovely, the food was prepared and cooked freshly by the Asian chef in front of you as you dined by candle-light - very romantic (although it was a little windy eating outside on our evening of choice!). In the evenings the hotel entertainment was adequate. We walked a couple of times into the town of Elounda - about a 15-20 minute walk, where it is a little more lively and there are souvenir shops, lovely bars and restaurants - plenty of fresh fish restaurants from the fishing boats going out in the day! If you like excursions, there are plenty on offer. We booked to go to Spinalonga - the old lepper colony island - which you could see from our room. The trip included a boat excursion, a BBQ in a sandy cove and then a tour around Spinalonga, returning to go into Agios Nikolaos town for an hour or so and then back on the boat. This was a little disappointing for us - the boat was really crowded and there was no where to sit. The majority of the day was spent on the boat with very little time on Spinalonga. It worked out at about £35 each for us for the trip - when they were offering exactly the same trip from Elounda town for a fraction of the cost. If we had been staying longer I think we would have made our own way to the island and spent longer there as it was really interesting, although we decided to trust our rep and go with the tour operator - we won't make this mistake again - over-crowded and over-priced.
On one of the days we visited the beach - directly in front of the hotel. The beach is quite pebbly but the sea is gorgeous and clear with loads of tiny little fish swimming around your feet as you paddle! Free sunbeds are in situ and there is also a beach-hut bar serving snacks and drinks included in the all-inclusive - we were very impressed with this and the girl serving there was very helpful and polite. All of the staff were very friendly and polite in the hotel. They remembered your drinks of choice in the evening - all included in the all-inclusive - and couldn't do enough to help you enjoy your stay. This holiday was superb value for money and suited our needs for a lovely relaxing couples break perfectly, we would love to go back - maybe for an anniversary in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- YOUR JOURNEY BEGINS NOW New concept, new services, new design Sentido Elounda Blu ... four star hoteling reinvented The "Sentido Elounda Blu Hotel", is situated in the international renowned hot spot of Elounda. The Greek islands' architecture is evident throughout Elounda Blu with earth colors that blend with the Cretan environment. The area's stunning views of the gulf of Elounda, the traditional town of Elounda, and the medieval castle of "Spinalonga" create an idyllic surrounding for a relaxing holiday. In front of the resort lies a sandy and well protected from the streams beach, that offers various choices to keep you by the sea water. The emphasis on the area's natural riches and the resort's services create an environment that fashions a vacation that must be experienced by all. Sentido Elounda Blu is a redesigned hotel with a brand new adult only(16+) concept that promises to offer a relaxing ambiance, with elevated services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your SENTIDO Elounda Blu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elounda Blue Bay Hotel Elounda
- Blue Bay Hotel Elounda
- SENTIDO Elounda Blu Crete