“4 Star?? What were they thinking??!!”

and 1 more site!
SENTIDO Elounda Blu
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 2 June 2007

My partner and I stayed at the Elounda Blue Bay with my 2 year old daughter for 2 weeks in May, whilst my parents were staying at the same hotel.

First impressions of the hotel were quite good, the reception area and bar / games area are all open plan on split levels. It looks quite modern and stylish but I'm afraid the modern and stylish ends there!

We were given a lower level room because we had a 2 year old with buggy etc, which was a reflief as the climb up to the hotel was horrendous. I'm 24 and although not the fittest person in the world, by the time I had staggered up to the top of the hill I was ready to have a cardiac! I can see why it's been nicknamed heart attack hill! There is a lift from the main hotel building up to the rooms but I think it only goes up to the 2nd floor which is where we had to get out and then climb up more stairs until we reached our room. This hotel is not fantastic for pushchair users even if you get a lower level room, and if you are disabled then please do not even consider coming here - it would be virtually impossible to get around in the hotel or even get TO it!

I used the toilets in the reception twice and the smell was horrendous! It appereared to be coming from a vent in the wall (the toilets are underground). There were dead flies on the floor which I think had passed out from the smell! They burn incense sticks in reception and I reckon that is to cover the smell from the toilets as it drifts up the steps!

THE ROOM - the room was very basic, smaller than expected but clean. Towels and bed linen was changed daily which I thought was good. We requested and paid for a sea view room, but I think all the rooms have a sea view so we needn't have bothered! I must say the views from our room were fantastic, which I suppose is your reward for making it up heart attack hill! Bath is tiny with a shower over, even though the shower is wall mounted you have to take it out and hold it as the bracket doesnt hold it up properly. You can't flush paper down the loo in Greece which I think is totally unhygeinic - you get the impression everything is a bit dirty for some reason, everywhere smells of poo. Sometimes the tap water was brown, and there's a grill on the bathroom floor where you can see your dirty bathwater draining away. Our overflowed at one point which wasn't pleasant. You get a fridge and TV in your room, and a safe that you have to pay extra for.

We had requested a cot for my 2 year old and sure enoug there was a travel cot waiting for us. However it looked old and tatty, and broken in places, and when my daughter woke up in the middle of the night with half her body stuck out of the side of the cot I realised the cot side had ripped away from the bottom!

There was a patio and small garden to the front of our room, but this is totally unsuitable for children! We had to keep the doors closed permanently as there is no barrier around the garden, a child would drop straight off the end!

THE FOOD - The food is good, but not much choice for a 4 star hotel. I noticed a few times things that I think had been made from leftovers of the night before or breakfast. Breakfast is really not fantastic, we hardly bothered with it as we were hoping for cooked breakfast every day, but there were only 2 or 3 hot things every day which was always beans, EITHER sausages OR bacon OR an omelette type thing which looked and tasted like it was made of leftovers. If they provided eggs they were always boiled with their shells on. Puddings at dinner were also poor, there was a choice of two types each night, and one of the choices was the same thing they provided every night! There is also ice cream and fruit, but the fruit was poor quality.

THE STAFF - The staff are great. Staff on reception are particularly friendly and helpful, and very good at their job plus speak very good English. The Finnish lady who runs the mini market is also very friendly. The problems with the hotel obviously lie within the management, not the staff.

ENTERTAINMENT - There isn't any! Well, not if you don't pay for it anyway. In the two weeks we were at the hotel, there was ONE night of entertainment. And the hotel had the cheek of charging 6Euro for the privelege! However the disguised this as payment for the 'free' cocktail you got as part of the night. Well, we certainly weren't going to pay for the entertainment but we sat outside in the bar area and saw the whole thing for free!

FACILITIES FOR CHILDREN - None except the indoor 'playroom' which is below reception. It is a good idea but the toys that were in it were all broken. The room is coverd with padded mats which is good for young children (0-3 ish) but seems pointless when all the toys are broken! And there is nothing for older children.

POOL - The pool is good, there is a large one and a smaller one for toddlers. However beware as the area around the pool is very slippery when wet, plus the childrens pool is slippery inside the pool, i went in with my 2 year old and slipped right over! I have it on video to prove it - how embarrassing!

In the two weeks we we at the hotel, it seemed to be in preparation for the high season. There was alot of tweaking going on around the hotel, hiding pipes and fixing things. There also was alot of building work going on around the hotel, we were on the beach one day and I counted six lorries full of rubble and building materials go past in 5 minutes (very noisy!).

THE BEACH - The hotel has it's own private beach at the bottom of heart attack hill. The 'sand' is awful, it is very stoney and also very dirty. In places it's like mud. I was very close to complaining a few days before we left because of the workmen who were on the beach doing their work around us while we were trying to sunbathe! I was sunbathing topless on the first day until a group of about ten managers and workmen came onto the beach and stood behind out sunbeds talking and arguing, throwing big boulders around, digging and painting. Then one of them got out an electric drill and started drilling holes in the walls to fix the showers. I had to put my top back on as I felt uneasy and none of us could relax or get any peace and quiet while this was going on. We went on the beach the following day thinking they had finished all their work, and found the beach hut was now open and they charged us 7.50Euro for 4 sunbeds and an umbrella! They said it was because high season had started. Er, ok so the beach belongs to the hotel which we paid for, but we still have to pay you for the use of sunbeds?! To put the icing on the cake, half an hour after we got on the beach, the group of 'managers' turned up again, followed by 10 workmen and some big wooden structures which they spent all day fixing onto the wall behind us to make changing rooms. They then went on to lay some 'decking' on the sand, and they actually had the cheek to move a couple who were in their way! The Management obviously had no regard for us guests whatsoever. Why could they not do this after 5pm?

This hotel is being run on a tight budget but their prices are certainly not budget! The Management is terrible and the hotel only seems interested in making as much money as possible without considering the guests.

Elounda village is about 15-20 mins walk away, and is quite pleasant. Everything is quite expensive though, more expensive than home I think. If you go the other way from the hotel there's a little village called Plaka (I think) which is quite nice, but apart from that there's nowhere else to go and nothing else to do unless you get a bus or taxi somewhere. And everywhere is quite long way apart from Ag Nik!

I'd say Elounda is more suited to the older person, not children or young adults as there are no facilities and no nightlife. Sorry this review is so long, I didn't want to miss anything out!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank monkeynuts86
Write a ReviewReviews (1,536)

Reviewed 30 May 2007

The hotel is a 15 minute walk around Elounda Bay from the main square, the hotel is comfortable, the food ok, drinks in the bar average for the area 6 euros a cocktail and a happy hour from 6pm to 7.30pm! where there is 30% off all drinks. The rooms are a tad 'tired' but clean, linen was changed daily! The hotel is set on the mountainside and there are fairly steep slopes to the rooms and an even steeper slope from the road up to the hotel itself, we walked it most days and got to the top out of breath! In the heat its worse! A cab form Elounda Square is only 4 Euros and takes you to the hotel reception saving you the climb......

We ate at the hotel as we were on a half board basis 4 nights out of the 7 there and found the food ok, a tad monotonous at day 4.... we ordered a bottle of wine one night and didn't ask how much.... end of the meal we found out it was 18 Euros a bottle and in all honesty I wouldnt have paid more than 4 Euros.... We found lots of great places to eat in elounda itself, especially loved the Venue Bar / Cafe run by Georgia and Giannis a fantastic couple, so friendly, they do a great Cocktail menu and fantastic teas and waffles!!!

All in all we had a really relaxed and chilled out week and will probably go back. If you get a chance go to Spinalonga Island its fantastic!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScottNorwich
Reviewed 21 May 2007

We went to the Blue Bay in May 2006 hoping for a relaxing week in the sun; we had a great time in Elounda but the hotel did leave a bit to be desired.
The first problem was the steep incline. Don't stay at this hotel if you have elderly relatives. Plodding all the way back to our room in the baking mid-day sun was not a great experience. And then we come to the food: absolutely terrible, similar to the grey muck served in hospitals and budget airports. Just don't go there. The dining room too was utterly horrible - if battle ship grey interiors are your thing you'll love it.
The rooms were very basic and nowhere near the 'four star' rating given. Two stars at best, I'd say.
Admittedly things may have improved since our visit twelve months ago; but for us it was an underwhelming experience.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bakers2
Reviewed 21 May 2007

My 17 year old son and I spent a great 12 days at the Blue Bay commencing 24 April 2007. It's a lovely, simple hotel. There's a steep climb up to reception from the road and lots of other steps. I would recommend a room on the lower levels for those with older legs. We had half board.There was plenty of choice to eat and the food was good. The room was clean, simply decorated and had a good view of Spinalonga and the bay. The staff were wonderful and everyone spoke English. At this time of year there is not much for a teenager to do as it was just out of season but absolutely perfect for me. Whilst driving in Crete can be hair raising, it's a very good way to see the island and essential out of season.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank jamjarJohannesburg
Reviewed 27 April 2007

I was a little apprenhensive when I read some reviews saying the hotel was a steep 20 minute walk from Elounda, this isn't accurate, there is a steep driveway up to the hotel which is about 100 metres which leads down to the coast and its a walk along the coast to Elounda, which takes about 20 minutes.
It was a bit steep going to our room there are lots of steps depending how far up your room is, but then you only have climb up once with your cases.
The staff are friendly at the reception and in the restaurant the head waiter has a good sense of humour. The food I found to be very good, quite a lot of choice, buffet meals, mainly greek dishes but thats what I go to Greece for. I would say the restaurant could do with adding something to the decor, as it was a little rough around the edges. They do have a wine list .They know how to make tea properly!
The rooms were a good size ours had a little patio and a garden but some have balcony, we had a sea view of spinalonga, but you'd probably get an even better view from a room with a balcony higher up but it would mean lugging cases further. Our bathroom had a shower, which was good,if positioned a little oddly over a small bath , it was kept immaculately clean, the bed very comfortable,but again the room was a little rough around the edges in places, but still good, not as new looking as in the photos.
We had a lovely holiday and the weather was lovely over Easter and warm but windy as it often is on Crete. I would recommend the hotel it was good value.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elleda
Reviewed 2 February 2007

After finishing my GCSEs, i was really looking forward to this holiday to Greece. The flight times were annoying, and we turned up there at about 6.00 in the morning, but were greeted by reception who were helpful and polite during our stay. We were shocked by the steep climp up to our hotel room, and once we got there, our door didn't open! The door was tricky to open, and really needed to be fixed!
The food was generally good-all you can eat, but it was best to get an outside spot, as the views were fab! The pool was good, and as there was no beach near the hotel-it was essential! All in all, it was a good holiday, and if you want a largh, go to the themed nights-but be prepared to participate!

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank Cazjag
Reviewed 5 December 2006

We spent a wonderful week at the Elounda Blue Bay resort on Crete. We both thought the hotel was beautfil, far more attractive than many of the hotels and resorts on the island we came across (including those of a higher star rating!). It was extremely clean, fresh and the staff were very friendly. We were on half-board and the food was really good. Lots of variety, all of high quality and the cocktails were fantastic! The views from the hotel are just fantastic and worth the trecks up the steep hills. We couldn't believe the view from our room (a view we didn't pay for I must add!)
The area of Elounda itself is really beautiful. The town is lively but not full of louts, with lots of lovely shops, bars and restaurants. There are plenty of excursions available at very reasonable prices. We choose to hire a car and explore ourselves. Had a great time. We also hired mountain bikes for a day and went on a 40km tour, it cost next to nothing and we got to see the real Crete. An excellent day out.
I would recommend both the area and the hotel to anyone. Yes the hills are very steep but that seems to be the case across the whole island. Great place.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Strangeways
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
1 mi away
Elounda Krini Hotel
Elounda Krini Hotel
#3 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Mare Relais & Chateaux hotel

Been to SENTIDO Elounda Blu? Share your experiences!