“Great hotel with the best views in Elounda”

Elounda Water Park Residence
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just returned from 10 day all inclusive holiday with grandson 14 and granddaughter 20. First impressions on arrival at 11pm a very friendly receptionist who gave us sandwiches and water and suggested we catch last drinks at all inclusive bar while van driver took our bags to room. Very pleased to find we had room over reception and near swimming pool as I requested, being 65+ years and not relishing climbing lots of steps or steep hill to room. Next morning absolutely stunned by fantastic views over Elounda, Being of mature years I would say don't let hillside location put you off as vans run 4 times a day up and down hill, and taxis from harbour area to Elounda Residence only cost 5 euros. Down hill makes a pleasant walk.
Food was very good and included fish and sea food and BBQ at taverna on site great fun and big plate full of BBQ meat or fish nice change (16 euros).
Entertainment of some kind every night except Friday and helped the friendly atmosphere. Only disappointment Cretan Night only once fortnighty so we had Greek Party night instead which was still good fun.
Myself and grandson and granddaughter would definitey holiday here again at this great hotel with the friendly and helpful staff. Thanks Elounda Residence for a great holiday.
Mave and grandkids

Room Tip: Room above reception good for more mature people as only one set of steps to room to climb, but some...
1  Thank Lilytraveller2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We've just come back from a 7 night all inclusive stay.

We arrived at 12.30 am after our 3.5 hour transfer and checked in with several other couples where we were handed a plastic bag with a sandwich, fruit and a bottle of water. We booked 2 rooms (one with desperate room) for my 14 yr old son and other in law. We where given 1 key and told it was a lovely apartment. When got to the room my heart sank, it was dark, very old and shabby and 2 rooms one with a tiny double bed a a twin with beds shoved together. I immediately we to complain and was given the option to put one of our party in a single miles away from the room the rest of us was on or wait til the morning when they could move us all. We stayed where we were and the next day we where offered 2 rooms directly above the pool/bar these room although still basic where much nicer they moved a single bed into the living room/kitchen area so my son could have a desperate space. We where told that the. Music is alway turned down by midnight and off by 1am but on 2 nights it boomed until 2am.

On a happier note the food was nice but rarely labeled. The drink are basic and all inclusive doesn't include milkshake or any coconut of Baileys alternative and all inclusive drinks stop at 11pm.

The staff are very helpful and friendly. The location is amazing, by up a mountain so steep climb to all rooms.

There is a mini bus to drop you down to main road that run 4 times a day (would be nicer if it drop at main town square). The walk took about 20mins and 30 back as so steep. And another 10 mins walk to town square and beach.

The resort/pool is clean.

The entertainment wasn't as advertised on the boards. And had to pay for Greek BBQ night (even all inclusive) so we didn't go. There was a disco night and live Greek music night but that was all. It seemed the other nights where cancelled to staff just played music.

The local shops (in the town) where cheap and food is delicious and the evening are full of life.

A beautiful place to visit

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Annette H
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My dad, boyfriend, sister, dads girlfriend and I, visited Elounda Residence for a week on the 8th July. I rarely write reviews but felt this was much needed. We had a lovely holiday.

One downer I have is when we booked the holiday we said we wanted 2 different apartments as we weren't all related but on arrival we were told we were in a 2 bedroom apartment. We had a look at the apartment and it wasn't for us, they were more than happy to change us back. By the time it was sorted, it was past 10pm and we were starving from the mega long journey (be aware of the transfer, bring water!). The main restaurant was closed but they guided us past the pool which was a little a la cart restaurant owned by Ilias. I must admit Ilias made my holiday, he really was amazing. We all couldn't have felt more comfortable than sitting in his restaurant eating the amazing food he bought out for us.

If you have done enough research you would have already seen that it is based on a hill, so I don't understand the negative reviews based on this. It really isn't that bad, we walked down every day and back a few times. But we got a taxi sometimes as it was only 5 euros! The free shuttle bus is handy on the baking days when even walking on flat ground is hard.

We went self catering which was perfect for what we wanted as we like eating somewhere different every day. This being said we ate with Ilias 3/6 nights because him and the food there was amazing. Ilias' restaurant wasn't included in the all inclusive so that's a negative for all inclusive guests. Down at Elounda is beautiful, where we ate the rest of the nights, lots of different restaurants and bars, and shops to drag the boyfriend in after a drink!

The hotel was lovely, the pool was freezing but the most amazing refreshing swim when you're hot. Nothing to do with the hotel but be careful with your sunbeds as a Russian girl actually removed my tshirt from the sunbed and sat down, lets say I wasn't best pleased. Bad reviews on the bolted down sunbeds should not change your mind as if they weren't we would all wake up with no sunbeds as the wind does pick up sometimes up the hill. (The noise at night can become very annoying as I am a light sleeper)

Evening entertainment was great, we watched the world cup with lots of cocktails and made friends. For self catering they keep a tab for the week which you can buy drinks and not worry about having lots of change. You pay this as you check out.

Our week went very quickly, thank you for having us and we would love to return to Elounda one day again.
P.S We love ilias!
From the crazy cat lady, the West Ham lover and the rest!
We will miss you!!

Room Tip: Lowest numbers are nearest to the pool!
3  Thank Mandi H
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just arrived back from a two week holiday and I must say we had a great time at this hotel. The hotel is clean our rooms was cleaned every day without fail. We had a very good room with a sea view and our room was one that had been updated, some of them still need to be done but don't put you off as they are more than adequate. We were half board and we thought the food was very good a lot of choice every day, they removed trays of food very regular so the food was always fresh and hot. We are in Greece not England so we didn't want chips with our meals. I must admit the drinks was very expensive for what we got, for example a large beer 3 .90 euro and they didn't even fill the glass up to the top. very weak but if you are all inclusive you wouldn't mind. You can get a taxi for 5 euro down the town where you can get a beer from only 2.50 euro to 3.00 or 3.50 euro and a proper pint. But all hotels charge a higher price. Going back to the hotel we found the staff was very friendly the best one and the funniest was giorgi who was the entertainer what a funny guy. The pool was very good always got a sunbed even if you came down in the afternoon so don't even think about running down at 6 in the morning to put your towel's on the sun beds, not even the Germans did this lol. I had only a couple of moans one was I feel they should wash the sunbeds down I never saw them do that and only one other is they need a shower room and toilet for guests that have to leave the rooms on day of departure what the hotel offers is not enough so I hope one day they will take note and sort this out. One more thing PLEASE DOINT GO TO THIS HOTEL IF YOU HAVE A BAD LEG OR BAD HEART OR SUFFER FROM LUNG PROBLEMS. it's ON A MOUTAIN AND ITS VERY STEEP. I am fit myself and I found it was hard some days. But don't be put off by this as we had a great time . I would recommend this hotel , I hope to come back one day. Once again thanks to all the staff. Oh one more thing it had free air con.

5  Thank David T
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Welcome to Elounda!
The first thing your greeted with by your forever smiling Maetrade / Driver / DJ (he loves Elvis!) and seemingly any other job title that fits that the fantastic Giogos needs to be.
At the foot of a hill that may be mentioned a few more times in these sentences, you will be taken up a semi private part Tarmac part rocky road to the best representation of what the beautiful and characteristic Elounda village really is all about.
The Elounda Residence isn't a "five star, keep you in the grounds and force feed you the sun on your allotted sun lounger" kind of hotel. It's better.
The way it's awkward charm fits the Elouda lifestyle with never ending climbing or descending hills and views that in a week didn't get a chance to get old give you as a guest a first hand taste of how Elouda ticks by.
A standard double room is a couple of single beds pushed together (and do expect them to come apart in the night!) you'll be fully equipped with the bare essentials (and a toasted sandwich maker!) but I didn't and would recommend you to not touch them.
Just Go - Go rent a quad bike, a boat, a jet ski and for maybe a day or two, a sun lounger. Go and find the beauty of Elounda in its entirety by climbing dirt roads and going off the given track to find hidden beaches, beautiful churches on top of mountains that you can't drive up.
Back to the Elounda Residence as... That's what's actually being reviewed here!
Food - Giorgios' wife will prepare a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner that gives you a home cooked flavour and great variation on Crete life. I love cucumber, tomato and feta cheese. If you do to - just go for this!
Views - I'll put one photo alongside this review but the rest I'm keeping for myself. I was lucky enough to see a sunrise like no other, a sunset that didn't want to sleep. A mountain "floating" above the clouds and mountain ranges that make you stop in wonder at the natural beauty of the earths creativity.
Staff - I've mentioned Giorgos a few times because - well, you'll meet him everywhere! But he's not alone in his customer service excellence.
I discovered why after having the pleasure of a conversation with the owner. A man that puts his guests comfort, enjoyment and safety above his own well being as standard. He leads his loyal staff only in a way that can be appreciated to be on the receiving end of their service. They know they are not five star - they don't pretend to be. They are better. They care. About you, About their island paradise. About their culture and values and About their reputation. They made Crete even more beautiful to me over the time I spent with them.
Special mention to a few super special staff members.
Giorgos (and his wife's cooking!) the loyalist of Elounda residence service members. Never without a smile and a helping hand.
Tracy - a Scottish barmaid who will make you a mean cocktail and make you laugh like she was born to do it.
Giorgios - the shaven headed, goatee wearing gentle giant of a waiter who I wish I could have stayed longer to go to a bar for a dance with! The man OOozes fun and good times.
Rossi - the most genuine, loving father / security guard I've ever met... And you may not as his shifts are often during the night. It's a part of him to make others feel safe and he did just that for me. Know that he will do it for you too.
Ilias - A host / waiter like no other. Made a room full of people get on their feet and dance the Greek way at a beautiful BBQ that I had only originally planned to grab the food and leave. Couldn't be happier to have stayed. Let Ilias make you smile and you won't stop until the Raki wears off the next morning.

A few final points to take away from this rambling.
- Crete is full of mountains. Elounda residence is at the top of one of these. Bring walking shoes and determination or rent yourself that quad bike on the first day!

- Elounda is an hour drive from Heraklion airport. Taxis are 80 euro for the trip or a shuttle transfer which can take 4 hours is only £20

- Elounda is a 40 minute quad bike ride to Malia if your still young enough to bear the teenage nightclub scene for an evening to late morning 'dance'.
You can do the journey on your own in the dark if your brave (or drunk.. DO NOT DRINK DRIVE) but a taxi is only 40 euro each way and they get you back safely when booked at the reception.

Let yourself get immersed in the Elounda way. Say yes and never be let down.
Elounda residence IS Elounda, and Elounda is one of the most beautiful, honest, quaint, genuine places I've ever been.

We both hope to see the staff, the hotel and the beautiful village again sometime very soon.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank chrisprice1988
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Spent 10 days here and had a great holiday, not all of it down to the hotel.
The hotel is clean, the rooms we saw were a little bit dated and the pool is probably the best feature. The views also are fantastic.
We were half board and the food was just ok. Not a great choice, enough for adults but not for kids. (i.e. they only have chips at breakfast). The hotel was expensive for drinks compared to the bars in the village ( 5 euro taxi ride away). The staff we efficient but not always the friendliest.
The taverna was a bit hit and miss, seemed to depend on who was cooking.
There are plenty of day trips available on local transport.
One tip would be about the transfers, you can get a taxi for 80 euro one way to the airport and it takes 45 mins or you can risk the bus transfer which can take up to 3 hours. The bus is a drag, be warned!

Room Tip: There are only a couple of rooms around the pool area, which does not involve a hike up the hill. S...
1  Thank bpw12
Reviewed 20 July 2014

we stayed at sister apartments Olive Garden, but also spent time here, ate in the taverna on Greek bbq night (food was fantastic) Ilias was great fun and the free Greek dancing lessons given by assist manager Roula were the best :-). After finishing we had drinks at the bar and were entertained by Tracy and Giorgi who kept us all going with tales and fun. Enjoyed the moonlit walk back to our apartments. Wonderful place and staff thank you all....

Room Tip: there is free wifi available but we didn't use as we were not actually staying here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends