“Lovely family”

Tasmania Village
wolverhampton
“Lovely family”
Reviewed 18 September 2008

I wasn't actually staying at Tasmania but at Blue Bay. After quite an ordeal at Blue Bay with XL holidays, I had to visit Tasmania for my trips etc as they were associated with Kozmar. I found Maria and George and her family very welcoming and friendly and very helpful due to my experience at Blue Bay, where I was asked to pay my holiday account as they had not been paid. I was put under pressure to pay, otherwise they would get the police involved. I stayed with Maria for the last day as I had to vacate the hotel. She looked after me very well and all her clients also were very good to me, buying me drinks and even offering me money to get home. I enjoyed her hospitality and her weekly Barbecue. The room was very nice and clean and her food was far superior to Blue Bay, having had lunches at Maria's. She is a good cook and I would give the hotel an overall rating of 8/10. She did her best to help me in my hour of need and I am only sorry I did not stay with her as it would have been a lot cheaper and also a lot more relaxing. As my ordeal was with Blue Bay, this has obviously put a sour taste in my mouth for Crete, but anyone wishing to stay with Maria would have a happy and enjoyable holiday. Kind Regards, Lynne Devereaux.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank wolverhamptonpink

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
voddiegal
Reviewed 30 August 2008

OK, LISTEN UP!

We returned from the Taz this morning. We (being Ali, 38, and daughters 16 and 12) arrived as guests and left as family.

After reading the mixed reviews I was somewhat nervous about the Tasmania Apartments, I had absolutely no reason to be!

I am an asthmatic and an insulin dependant diabetic. If I can manage the steps and driveway, then anyone can! If you are at all worried about the elevation, I suggest that you contact the owners before you arrive (www.info@tasmania.gr) and they will do their very best to accommodate you. Yes, it is a little steep, but that means you do get the most breathtaking views of the bay and Spinalonga. In any case, it might be the most exercise you get on your hol! Use the driveway rather than the steps, it's much easier, especially with luggage.

We arrived at 4am and went straight to our room, in the dark the drive looked steeper and longer than it was. On waking later, we found we had the most amazing view from our balcony and could hear the sea lapping at the shore line a few metres away. Road is NOT excessively busy, we were there in the height of the season, never kept us awake!

Rooms kept spotless by Sharon (thank you, honey!) We were there for 2 weeks and had bed linen and towels changed so many times that I lost count. Sharon is the new cleaner this season, so I can only speak as I found, always spotless in apartments and around complex and pool generally. As in all Greek accommodation, loo paper goes in the bin, not in the lavvy, pretty environmentally-friendly when you think about it. If your bin gets full, empty it yourself in the bin wheelie dumpster at the bottom of the property, same goes for your kitchen bin. Both have bin liners, so what's the problem?

Shower room large and well-appointed. Shower hot and powerful at all times, also had shower curtain! We have travelled extensively around Greece, and we felt this was a real novelty! In fact, the kids kept commenting on having a shower curtain!.

If you need it, there is a range of cleaning equipment supplied in your apartment.

Plenty of crockery, cutlery, utensils supplied for kitchenette. You're not going to cook a roast, so don't expect a fully-appointed kitchen, - surely you've come away for a break? All in good working order and clean as usual. No kettle, but I have only had a kettle once before and that was in Cyprus. If you really must have a hot drink, boil up a pan.

A/C if you need it is 40 Euros per week, and they have the most up-to-date units, which are powerful, efficient and quiet.

Large balcony was a plus, and even had a maiden to dry stuff on.

Pool and snack bar area absolutely spotless due to the hard work of Maria and George, and some sensible requests. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people not to eat and drink around the poolside:-
1 it reduces mess and means no insects all over the place
2 stops any nasty accidents with broken glass and bare feet.

Crete can also be very windy, and so guests themselves imposed a "no smoking around the pool" rule, which I thought was very sensible and thoughtful. After all, would you like to swim in a pool with ciggie ash and dog-ends? I think not!

This means that the pool and patio area is clear as a bell, a shower is provided also.

Now onto the owners themselves! What can I say? Maria, George, Maria's mother, and their family, Yanni, Poppy and Eleni are the most fabulous hosts you will EVER meet! NOTHING was too much trouble, at any time of the day or night, and we have never received such a genuine warm welcome anywhere else.

My daughters and I have never considered visiting a place more than once, we've always wanted to move on, and now why. We were moving on to the Taz! We're coming back next year, like so many other of their guests! One couple spent so much time in Elounda and in the Tasmania that they now live in the next village and visit Maria every day, big shout out to JIMMY and CAROL, thanks for taking us to the flicks! Two words for you, Carol, CONTINENTAL LOOS!!!!!!!!

JOHN and CATH - hiya! They stay for 5 weeks, you lucky things!

MASSIVE HELLO to our holiday mates, IAN, DI and JONNY, and especially to SPIDER DAPH and REDCOAT RONNIE! In fact, I think Ronnie and Jonny are after jobs at the Taz as Entertainments Staff!

Food -
It's like being at yer Mam's! Say no more, LUSH!

So, to sum up

ONLY COME TO THE TAZ IF YOU WANT A FABULOUS HOLIDAY WHERE YOU GET TREATED AS ONE OF THE FAMILY!

BE PREPARED TO MAKE LOTS OF FRIENDS AND BE INTRODUCED TO THE FAMILY AND THEIR FRIENDS! The Greek night is a must! Laughed ourselves silly and had so much fun one the first week that we booked it again for our second week, another first for us!

Beds dead comfy, all new bed linen. Blankets (!) if you need them are in the modern built-in fitted wardrobe/vanity units.

Elounda itself is perfect. Try the Anememylos taverna just before you get into the village iteself, Dimitri's Steak House on the corner, and Thassolomylos on the water's front, down an unmade track past the Ferrymen, all well worth a visit.

If you want a car, ask at the bar, Maria organised a car for me, it was even cheaper than online quotes. 28 Euros a day for a Peugot 206 with A/C and FULL insurance. Kosmar rep wants 56 Euros a day for the same car! You've been warned! Car hire company were fab. Personal delivery and collection service.

Out and about.
Spinalonga. Costs 10 Euros per person from harbour. Stay as long as u like, just let them know in advance and make sure u get on the Elounda boat going back otherwise you'll end up in Plaka or Aghios Nikolias!

Olous. Sunken village on other side of causeway. Great snorkelling.

Knossos, Phaistos, Malia and Zakro. Amazing Minoan Palaces

Matala beach

Heraklikon Archaeological Museum

Theres also 3 waterparks and watersports from outside the hotel next door.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank voddiegal
North Wales
Reviewed 19 July 2008

Have just arrived home after a week at the Tasmania Apts and would recommend the accommodation.The walk into Elounda was about 15-20 mins.......not a bad walk ,pleasant views and flat!
The apt ....we were in Room 21.....it was a late booking so we were in an apt for 4 even though there was only two of us which had a seperate bedroom.....it was pretty basic but everything was clean and tidy and the views from the balcony were superb.
There is a pool bar serving drinks and snacks which was open until 12 midnight.....and Anna was quite happy to cook right up until closing time.....food was always fresh and hot....prices were ok .......small bottles of water were 50 cents......coke and sprit etc were euro 50 and bottles of lager 2euro 50.
There is a lot of steps and the drive is very steep but you are told that in the description
All in all a typical greek holiday

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Northampton
Reviewed 10 July 2008

We stayed at the Tasmania Village in June 2008 and had a very nice holiday. Anna is the hostess and can be found at the pool bar. I asked her about comments on websites like this and she said they'd been open 19 years, serving thousands of very happy guests but it only takes one disgruntled visitor to spoil all the hard work they've put in.

Yes it is fairly basic accommodation (which is fine since it doesn't pretend to be anything else!) but we found it perfectly adequate, we had a great time. The pool area is refreshingly simple and the pool itself was clear and well kept. The bar offers all the usual drinks and snacks plus, Anna is happy to rustle up whatever she can on the spur of the moment. The Tasmania has gardens here and there with fruit trees such as pear and pomegranate along with colorful shrubs.

I thought the location was excellent. Far enough from the town to get some peace and quiet but close enough to stroll-in on an evening. There is a delightful promenade running the whole way from the Tasmania to Elounda.

The Tasmania is built on a hill which is one of the reasons you get such a great view yet we only had two short flight of steps to our apartment. The Tasmania Village has its own website (do a google for it) with pictures of the steps, you can see there's nothing to make a fuss of. Crete is a mountain rising from the sea, you go uphill everywhere so if climbing is an issue for you go somewhere else, Holland?

Hot Tip: Whatever you need, ask Anna (at the pool bar) first. Don't hire a car (even from the Rep) until you've spoken to her, she will help you get the best deal. She's an excellent cook too.

All in all this was one of our best trips to Greece. The Tasmania Village was a great base to explore the East of Crete.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank alanski
Sheffield
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We booked a holiday for the Irene apartments in Elounda. We booked three months in advance with Kosma for an apartment for 3 people. On arriving at the airport we were told we were going to the Tasmania Village and not to the Irene where we were supposedly booked in. We arrived at the Tasmania which is a good 40 minute walk from the centre of Elounda and were expected to carry cases etc up steep ramps and steps which we hadn't expected. We were not happy because we were given 2 rooms, very, very basic with a shower we couldn't even contemplate using. We were welcomed by Anna who kindly prepared some food for us. We just knew we could not stay here. Luckily we were moved to the Hiona apartments in Elounda the next day and we had a wonderful time there.

The Tasmania may be okay for young people who want a cheap holiday with very basic accommodation and facilities. Someone who doesn't mind climbing a million steps to get to the pool or up to the pool bar which leaves a lot to be desired. It reminded us of a run down cafe in a park. There isn't a supermarket or restaurant anywhere within walking distance which is a necessity when studio's are self catering.

If we hadn't been moved from the Tasmania, we would have asked to be flown home.

• Liked — Sea view from the front studios
  • Disliked — much too basic, depressing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank MattsmumSheffield
NORTHAMPTON
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We ended up staying at the tasmania by accident. The accomodation we had booked in the centre of Elounda had decided not to open so we were placed at the Tasmania instead.

On arrival when faced with the massive hill up to the apartments we were quite horrified as we have two small children and couldnt see how we would manage but decided to hire a car and the location was no longer an issue.

The apartment we stayed in was number 21 was lovely and newly furnished and has a fantasic view over Spinalonga.

Anna the owner couldnt have been more helpful and was a really lovely lady.

Overall we had a great time and would go back.

• Liked — The Apartment
  • Disliked — The Walk Up The Hill
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 15 September 2007

My girlfriend and I have recently stayed at Tasmania Village for two weeks. Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor, we were slightly anxious before arrival. Why did we book Tasmania? We wanted a cheap two weeks in Crete staying in a relaxing setting that we could use as a 'base of operations'.

In my opinion Tasmania gets varied reviews depending on what people's expectations are. For us, Tasmania was excellent. Here's a few notes based on our experience and other reviews.

Costs: A/C 6E a day, 40E per week. To stay until 5pm on departure day is 20E. The A/C does work, and is highly recommended.

Cleanliness: Rooms are reasonably clean, but don't look under the bed. Cleaning happens once every four days, so the bin does tend to overfill and the bathroom floor become dirty.

Kitchenette: Fine. No kettle, like most accomodation like this in Crete. The fridge did not work to begin with, as it was set at maximum cool. At 50% setting worked fine.

Balcony: We were in room no.6, and the view was fantastic. We spent many hours reading or playing cards on the balcony. Some rooms do not have such good views, and indeed the famous room 20 did look awful.

Friendliness of owner: Fine, the older chap even gave us a lift into Elounda once.

Walk into Elounda: About 30 minutes. It follows a purpose built pavement along the shoreline past beaches and boats. It is along the road, but the road is not busy.

Supplies: The Elounda blue bay hotel next door has a very basic super market, the closest is otherwise 20 mins walk.

Pool: Clean and has a wonderful view. Watching the sun set on the spinalonga fortress is magic.

Parking: We hired a car for a week and Tasmania has plenty of parking.

Stairs: Tasmania is on a hill, and thus has lots of steep stairs. It is not recommended if you don't like them!

Agios Nik: A bus goes about hourly from Elounda, 2.60E return. Check out the Crete Travel website for bus timetables.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)