Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Bethesda, Maryland
“Magical place”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful places I've been to.
Magical blue sea, great service, beautiful pools and rooms\Villas.
You can have a little bit of all worlds, small Greek villages' around, great local food, activities for the kids, truly a great place.
A must see and be.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lavieo
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review.

Comments like yours are the best reward for us. I am really glad that you enjoyed your family vacation and I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Sotiris Kremastiotis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We stayed there for 5 nights. While the resort is very spread out, it is easy and comfortable to navigate through walkways, cable car and golf carts. The rooms were modern, quiet and comfortable, each with a balcony facing the Aegean. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The food was good and the variety was great offering Asian fusion, Italian and Greek. The draw back, everything about the hotel was expensive. I would recommend this resort and look forward to going back again

Room Tip: All rooms are great and they all have balconies and sea views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Christos E
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa.

It was a pleasure to read that we met your expectations with all aspects of your stay, including the service.

I sincerely hope that you will honor us with another visit in the near future.

Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed last year and had a fabulous time. We were very excited about our return visit this July and expected it to be as good as the year before. The accommodation was still excellent (we had a junior suite with a heated pool). However, i agree with previous reviewers in that "It is very expensive for what you get" in relation to the food in the restaurants and bars. The service was patchy and inconsistent, we had a good meal in Flame one night and another night the service was brusque and unpolished for a five star hotel and the food was cold, not deserving the big bill at the end of it. In the Blue Door my husband had to return to the room with my son as he was feeling unwell and their food sat there for half an hour before they asked if they could keep it warm! The food and service in all restaurants was much better last year. On the plus side the girls in the Arsenali bar provided excellent service with a smile. Our son got a fabulous haircut in the spa and Maria the hairdresser was charming.
Last year on our departure we received cold water and refreshing wipes, this year this did not happen. We were pretty much left to it once the bill was paid. The taxi transfer arranged by the hotel was very scary, the driver talked continuously on hand held mobile phone and his driving was very erratic.
i feel the hotel lacks the presence of senior management wandering around the bars, communual areas and restaurants to ensure things are run smoothly and that guests are happy and valued. As return guests we did not feel our loyalty was valued and will probably go somewhere else next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank woofysmummy
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at the Blue Palace.

I am delighted that when you first stayed with us, we managed to meet your expectations and earn your trust and loyalty and I would therefore like to apologize that we were not able to meet the same standards on this occasion.

We place a lot of emphasis on the quality and consistency of our food & beverage offering and I have taken your comments back to my team.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused and I hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to enjoy a guest experience that truly reflects the service we provide.

Kind regards,

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I traveled from South Florida, USA to Elounda at the beginning of June. The weather was perfect. We rented a car from Heraklion airport and drove to Elounda. It was an easy drive and we would recommend renting a car and driving up into the mountains to explore during your visit. It should be noted that The Blue Palace is a 45 minute drive from the airport and taxi/car service is expensive, which added to the benefit of renting a car!

When we arrived at the Blue Palace we pulled up but there was no one to greet us immediately. Having traveled to some amazing resorts before we were surprised at the lack of staff that seemed to be at the resort. When we checked in, we were told that the hotel was 95% occupied, so again we were surprised at no one being at the front (this happened every time we drove away or drove up) of the hotel.

The hotel is beautiful, it has amazing views of the bay of Mirabello and Spinalonga from the rooftop pool/lounge area. In addition, every room has a view. We had reserved a pool villa. We were disappointed that there was little privacy in this "private" pool. Additionally, coming from the USA the water in ALL of the pools was too cold for us to enjoy. But, the most disappointing was reserving a room with a private pool that was not heated. When we asked if we could be moved to a room with a heated pool, we were told about the 95% capacity and that a different room was not available. For over $480/USD per night, we could have reserved a regular room with a view and been just as happy. We were also told that the heated pools were not very "heated", so be careful about reserving this level of room!

There is no free in-room wifi. If you want free access, you need to go to the rooftop pool area.

We ate at the Blue Door restaurant during our stay. It was good for the convenience of not leaving the hotel, but more expensive than restaurants off property.

We walked the 5 minutes out the back of the hotel into Plaka to eat at Ostria more than once! It was absolutely delicious.

We sat each and every night at the rooftop lounge and enjoyed the breeze and the view. The cappuccino is fantastic. We did have an experience that unsettled us. We had ordered dessert (a tiramisu) that was horrible. We asked the waitress if we could exchange it for something different. She told us she needed to get her manager; when the manager came over he was not friendly and gave us a hard time about why we did not like the desserts. We are not used to this type of hospitality at a resort. After several minutes of my husband and the manager going back and forth, the manager finally took the 2 tiramisu's and returned with 2 chocolate cakes. It was disappointing that this situation was so difficult.

Overall, our experience at the Blue Palace was enjoyable. If we were to return to Crete though, we would explore other resorts.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank SpeechGirl08
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review and please accept my apologies for the delay in my reply.

I am really sorry that there were certain aspects of your stay that you did not enjoy.

Having carefully read your feedback, I would like to apologize that no one was available to meet and greet you at the time of arrival, as this a standard procedure for our resort. I can only presume that it was a rush hour moment for my colleagues, which of course does not justify their absence.

Although it seems you were happy with your room, I am sorry that you felt the pool was too cold to your liking and that you found it not so private. At this point may I clarify that there are different categories for our Bungalows. One category offers a non heated pool and the next category up offers heated pool (approximately 26 to 28 degrees average temperature).

With regards to our restaurant prices I would like to state that they are in accordance with the prices of other five star properties in Elounda, although admittedly and naturally, we are more expensive that the villages of Elounda and Plaka.

Referring to the internet charge I would like to advise you that unfortunately this is a standard that Starwood requires us to apply. We do however offer complimentary Wi-Fi internet access at the Arsenali Lounge Bar and the Votsalo Bar.

I am happy that you had the chance to enjoy our Arsenali Lounge Bar, which is one the resort’s key highlights, and that you found our cappuccino fantastic. I would however like to apologize for the incident you experienced with the desserts and I am glad that the outcome was a positive one.

I have taken on board your feedback regarding your overall experience and please rest assured that we are always working on all comments made as the comfort and enjoyment of our guests is of outmost importance to us.

Although you are considering on exploring other resorts on your next visit to Crete, I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

UK
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I am going to sound like a moaner but honesty is the best policy and I have stayed in some beautiful hotels around the world so am the worst for comparing one against the other! I personally don't think this hotel deserves it's luxury collection title if everything is to be taken in to account. We were very luckily upgraded to a room in the South wing with a beautiful private pool, if we had been allocated the room we booked I would 100% agree with other comments that the words private pool are a huge over statement as there is nothing private about them at all and I rarely saw anyone using them! BUT as I said we were very fortunate and our room was beautiful so too are the views from every part of this vast property as everything faces the sea and Island of Spinalonga. The staff were very friendly, some more friendly than others it is fair to say and the difficulty in getting things on the menu changed slightly was a complete pain in the backside, yes I am a fussy eater but removing one ingredient from a sandwich at the beach proved even too much for the staff at the bar.There was no welcome drink on arrival, no tea and coffee in the room although on request we did get a free kettle and milk but no tea or coffee, this was extra! The waiting time for the lift to and from the beach was appalling who ever designed this needs a talking to, and due to the fact there were so many families with children and push chaires the waiting time was even longer! I can't believe that in 2014 and in a 5* hotel you can only get free wi-fi in the reception otherwise you are charged, I often laughed on my way to breakfast at all the guests sat tapping away on mobiles and tablets in reception on a morning. Plaka is beautiful and there are plenty of places for a drink or meal, Elounda is €7 in a cab and Aghios Nikolias €20 so there is plenty to do away from the hotel. Would I come back.....no, beautiful location with a stunning room and view but overpriced, inconsistent service , lacking in those touches that make a hotel luxury and memorable. I stayed in the Lindos Blu in Rhodes last year which blows the Blu Palace in every aspect out of the water.

Room Tip: South wing with private pool, room numbers 700 and upwards.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank asj2
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback following your stay at the resort.

It is with much disappointment that I read your review and realize that your experience was short of our commitment, and for that I would like to offer my apologies.

Our guest feedback is invaluable to us and helps us to enhance the experience and address the finer details so we do appreciate all your comments. As we welcome any kind of constructive criticism I have taken your notes on board which will only help us improve in the areas you mention.

Although you have mentioned your desire not to come back, I do hope you will give us another opportunity to prove to you the standards of service our guests have come to expect from us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I spent seven days at the Hotel in the first week of May. We were unlucky with the weather but we cant blame anyone for that! next time i go to Crete i will make sure i go in June as advised by my travel agent. We stayed in a nice room overlooking the sea & we had a heated infinity pool, which unfortunately was far from Heated! This is my only complaint. The staff were excellent, the food was good & the Steak restaurant was our favourite place to eat. If you go to the Hotel make sure you go to Plaka a small village only 10 mins walk from the Hotel. There are many places to eat and there are at least two fish restaurants which are excellent.
I dont think you would be disappointed with the Hotel but if you are going in early May the weather can be poor.

Room Tip: Chose a room with an infinity pool overlooking the sea but be carefull. where we were the sun had go...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chriseves
sotikre, General Manager at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us.

It is a pleasure to read such positive comments about your overall experience at the Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa! I am delighted that you found our service well suited to your requirements and I would also like to thank you for your positive feedback with regards to our team. I have to admit that all the staff are exceptionally friendly and they go out of their way to ensure every guest has a memorable stay.

On the other hand I am sorry to read that you found the pool cold. I do hope this aspect did not influence you in a negative way.

I am looking forward to having the pleasure of welcoming back to the resort in the future.

Warwickshire
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I love this hotel for so many reasons most of them being it is just the best place to chill out and relax away from the traumas of every day life! We stayed for the 4th time in late June in an Island Suite with Heated Pool. I can't say enough about the suite, we had particularly asked for 701 as we had stayed in it last year and this was no problem from the hotel. There is a lovely little living room with a sofa, chair, dining table and chairs, coffee machine and TV, little shower room off of the hallway, massive bedroom with double wardrobes, dressing table and TV and a huge bathroom with double rainfall showers, his and hers basins and a large bath. The WC is separate which is rather nice. The sun terrace is comfortable with two sun beds, a couple of easy chairs and a day bed with a large table in front of it which is very handy for breakfast and lunch. The pool was warm and clean and large enough to wallow in for a bit without getting too claustrophobic. I understand when people say that having the pool is not worth it and that they are over looked, some of them are but in suite 701 it is anything but. We didn't try the spa this time but has before and its good. The only small issue with this hotel is the food. It really is quite bad in the restaurants. The Asia Blue is possibly the worst Asian Restaurant I have eaten in and I have eaten in a lot. We purposely didn't eat at Blue Door because it was so bad last time and Flame is fine but service can be a bit hit and miss, particularly the managers! We ate out four times out of seven in Elounda and as it is only 7 euros to get there its not too much of an inconvenience. Apart from the food, and I am a food snob, I would head back here time and time again simply for the complete rest and relaxation it offers. Cant beat it!!!!

Room Tip: Splash out and have a room above the base level with a pool -its worth it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richandjaney
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 35 in Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Tui Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!