“Beautiful Hotel in a Lovely Location”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 24 June 2009

I visited the Blue Palace Hotel in early May with my husband and 1 year old son and had a lovely time. I had booked the hotel on a recommendation from a friend and was not disappointed. We booked a superior bungalow (as a package with Sovereign) - I think this is the most basic room time but it was lovely and plenty big enough for our needs with an enourmous double bed (possibly the biggest I've been in), a small lounge area where our son's travel cot was located, a big balcony and a lovely bathroom with seperate bath and shower. The term 'bungalow' is a bit misleading but if you look at the pictures on their website you get an idea of what you're getting. We spent our days on the beach which is big pebbles but really nice. You can bring shoes to get into the sea but there is also a pontoon you can go off. There is also a big pool by the beach which was really quiet and a smaller kids paddling pool. Both were the same temperature as the sea - a bit nippy but bearable and we took several swims every day. Before noon we were also allowed to take our 1 year old into the lovely warm indoor spa pool so we did this every day. We were on a half board deal so we used that to lunch in the beach restaurant every day. I'm surprised by complaints about the food in here as we thought it was delicious food - huge prawns, beautifully cooked chicken, nice pasta, delicious salads. We didn't have a bad meal in 7 days and the kids menu has about 8 dishes on too. The staff in the whole of the hotel were brilliant with our son. He was welcomed with open arms and given huge amounts of attention. There weren't lots of children there but the hotel is so spacious that you can pick and choose the areas you feel are OK for kids to hang out.
As other reviewers have said, the one negative about the hotel is the price of food and drink. It's even more ridiculous now that the Euro is so strong (if you are dealing in £s).
However, we went to the hotel knowing this was the case so made use of our half board at lunchtime and just went into Plakka every night to eat in the evening. Plakka is a lovely village - very chilled. There's a fab bar just as you arrive in the village and about 6 restaurants. We tried most of them and they were all nice standard greek fare.
It's a shame about the hotel prices. We loved going to Plakka but probably would have eaten at the hotel a couple of times if it wasn't so expensive. We spoke to lots of people who felt the same. We had a drink in the bar on arrival back from Plakka on one occasion and 2 glasses of wine was 14 euros. If it had been a little bit cheaper we probably would have done that most nights.
All in all, the hotel is beautifully designed and feels very special. If you go knowing about the prices and either be prepared to pay them or head to the village you won't be disappointed. We had a splendid family holiday and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Theodoros, Director General / Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your holiday at the Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is nice to know that the hard work of the management and all the staff is paying off. I sincerely hope that I will have the chance of welcoming you again at our resort,

Director general
Blue Palace , A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Reviewed 21 June 2009

When i first saw the blue Palace on their website i thought it looked magical, dream like, the perfect retreat. My partner and I were due to go to Mexico, but due to the swine flu breakout we decided to change destinations and go to Crete, and the Blue Palace it was.
We decided to go with an Island Suite, as they looked lovely. On arriving at the airport we were picked up by the hotel taxi and transferred to the hotel, which was around 45 minutes.
When we arrived at the hotel it looked stunning, so we definitely weren't let down. We were seen to right away, and escorted to our new residence for the week. When we arrived at our room, we were a little disappointed as it didn't look like the room we saw in the picture. We told the bus boy, and they changed us to a different room immediately. The 2nd room was the exact one we saw on the website and was perfect! Was very modern with a bedroom, sitting room, very large bathroom with a double shower, with rain shower heads, and two separate toilets. It had two sinks, and a tv screen in the bathroom.
The outside area was beautiful. With a small pool and lovely terrace area which overlooked the resort and had stunning views of the sea, and the island Spinalonga.
The reason we went for the Island Suite was largely to do with the fact that the other rooms don't have heated pools, and as we went in May, I thought that we would need this. We did, if the pool wasn't heated we wouldn't have used it.
We ate in all restaurants during our stay, and the food is amazing, and the staff can't do enough for you. Our room was cleaned twice daily, and service was always fantastic, they couldn't do enough for you.
We took advantage of the yaght and fishing boat the hotel had on offer to hire, and this was an amazing trip. We were taken out to different coves to go snorkeling, went fishing and enjoyed the fantastic views of the beautiful coastline. My partner also proposed to me on the yaght, which was amazing, but the hotel made every measure to help organise the day with him. They even arranged for a restaurant to sail out to sea to meet us, and bring fresh grilled fish, and salads, which we ate on board.
My partner and I are well travelled and we have stayed in top hotels all over the world. From experience i can tell you that this is an amazing resort and you won't be disappointed.
People in other reviews have complained about the lack of privacy with the plunge pools, and when i saw these rooms i did agree, but this resort offers every room a pool, which you don't usually get, so this isn't a bad thing. If you want more privacy i would opt for an Island Suite, or the other rooms above this level.
The resort is larger than you think but this isn't a bad thing as you have a chance to explore and go to different pools, and restaurants which adds variety.
People have also complained about the lift. I know it is slow, but it is again gorgeously done. It is like a ride at a theme park. You get to soak in the lovely views whilst traveling up and down the resort. The holiday is about relaxing so what is the problem with it being slow?
We went into the nearest main town, Agios Nikolas, which is very quaint. We went to a restaurant here called, 'Gold', i would definitely recommend as the food, as well as the interior are stunning.
We were extremely lucky with the weather and had temperatures reaching 33 degrees C, but it is as they say very windy! We experienced so very windy days during our stay.
The spa was also great, and we had some fantastic in room massages.
The hotel is very expensive, but you pay for quality and this hotel definitely delivered on all levels. It is very romantic, serene and beautiful. I will definitely be going back. x

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Theodoros, Director General , Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the very nice comments you have send to Trip Advisor about the Blue Palace. It was nice to know that you enjoyed our restaurants and the service you had on board the boat you rented from the resort. Thank you very much for staying with us and I hope to see you again .

Blue Palace, A Luxury collection Resort & Spa

Reviewed 15 June 2009

We were looking for a pool side relaxing week with a good book, good food, and a nice bottle of wine in the evening to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Overall feeling-we liked the Blue Palace. Rooms very good. Nice light pastel colours, clean, nicely furnished, and a view to die for. Mountains left and right, and a full on view of Spinalonga surrounded by blue sea. Agree with last reporter. Shade can be a problem in the beach area although there are a number of beds around thye pool that stay in dappled shade throughout the day. More than enough beds to accommodate everyone. Service around pool area can be slow-not enough staff.
As we were half board we dined in the main restaurant every evening. Buffet food good, both breakfast and evening, although main course,(waiter sevice), generally basic and uninspiring.
Nice gym. Never used the Spa.
We found all members of staff to be friendly and helpful, and a special word of thanks should go to housekeeping. We can all find reasons to complain about the 5 star experience, but rarely do you read reports knocking housekeeping. Our room was kept spotless. They work so hard and with so little thanks. Always deserve a good tip in my view.
The furnicular was not a problem, but the hotel was quiet. I know that the difficulty entailed in travelling from the front desk area at the top of the resort, to the beach area at the bottom would drive me mad in high season. If you are considering visiting this hotel you really do need to take this into consideration if you are elderly or disabled., The hotel is essentailly a collection of buildings built into a steep cliff face and getting about is difficult. You have to rely on the furnicular. There is only one, and it moves slowly!
Overall impression though was very favourable, and we would be happy to return. Should mention that I contacted the hotel to ask for a bunch of flowers and accompanying message for my wife to be in our room ready for our arival(25th Anniversary). At the hotel's request I faxed my bank account details. On arrival-no flowers. I contacted Guest services, only to be told that they never received my fax. OK, but we had exchanged e mails, and I would have thought that contacting me to advise that the fax had not been received, and to ask whether I still wanted to go ahead with the arrangement would not have been an unreasonable expectation for a hotel of this standard. Could say that Guest Services redeemed themselves the next day. They supplied the flowers as requested, and threw in a nice personalised cake.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Theodoros, Director General, Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for the nice review you send to the Trip Advisor. We take our guests comments very seriously and we appreciate any constructive critisism. I do sincerely apologise about the misunderstanding with the flowers. I will make sure that our Ultimate Guest Service Team responds efficiently to all similar requests in the future. I hope to see you again soon at the resort. Please accept my best wishes for your 25th anniversary.

Blue Palace resort & Spa

Reviewed 12 June 2009

1.The location is fantastic, on a gorgeous bay in eastern Crete. Come here if you want to get away from the world. But there is plenty of things to near by.

Elounda is the closest town and it's very pretty, great for a walk about with plenty of local life in the streets, good restaurants like the Ferryman (more elegant) and Marilena (rustic). Agios Nikolaos is the biggest town around and not what most guides and reviews say about it, those are outdated by 10 years. Good places to eat, like Pelagos (fish taverna in a superb garden) and a very pretty bay to have a drink and shop a bit.

Overall the location is good if you want to explore mostly Eastern Crete, we arranged through the hotel on arrival a half day trip to the Lassithti Plateau (wow!!, don't expect working windmills) and the Dikteon Cave (a small amazing adventure), and also a full day trip to Iraklion (interesting, busy, and good lunch in the market), also walked around the partly opened archeological museum that has some superb pieces, and Knossos. A fascinating place historically and architecturally.

2.The hotel is a spectacular piece of contemporary Mediterranean architecture, I am an architect and was impressed in every corner of this place, lobby, upper pool, bar, hallways, rooms, bathrooms, and spa. The design, materials and quality are very high.
They could add another rail car to satisfy all guests. Although it wasn't a big problem in May and we had a room that we could bypass it to go to the beach, in peak season it must be problematic.

3.The lifestyle in the hotel in late May was very enjoyable, the beach is nice and quiet, the pool is huge, with areas for families with kids and for adults to hang separately. The ocean is very clean. Yes it's rocky, but it didn't bother us at all, so are many great beaches in the Aegean/Med.
Yes, the umbrellas don't provide much shade so you have to move around every 3 hours. I tell you, you better love the sun if you come to Crete so bring plenty of spf 30.
Lunch was fine, a good Greek salad or pasta in a comfortable setting.
In the evening the top pool bar has a great waitress and sitting in the huge comfy couches watching the bay is what every vacation should be.
The overall service the hotel was good, the front desk, lobby porters, room cleaning, restaurants, waitresses. Some areas like in the beach, although nice people it's understaffed so getting drinks and food to the sunbathing area is not as swift as it should be. There is room for improvement there.

4.We thought breakfast was more than adequate, with good local cheeses, good omelet's, breads of any kind, a crepe station, a Greek yogurt station juices and sparkling wine, etc. The seating area outdoors is amazing! what a superb way to wake up, and the service was friendly and promp even for some odd requests.
On our first night we were very tired and dined at the Blue door, the taverna in the hotel. It's in a beautiful spot right on the bay. The classic Greek dishes were really good and I had a very good grilled sea bass with capers. Try the fried Zucchini too. The service was friendly and attentive. No complaints.

5. We had a great vacation, it was beautiful, relaxing, classy, comfortable,with good food all around, but also historic, with natural wonders and culturally enriching. Very different from the usual Caribbean or small island vacation.
It is a high end place so don't expect bargains. Considering it all we found the prices in line with similar luxury resorts.
Oh we and enjoyed Greek white wines immensely, specially Moschofilero and Roditis.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Theodoros, Director General,Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your nice comments about the Blue Palace to the Trip Advisor Site. A lot of effort is put daily by all the members of the staff and it is rewarding to read favorouble comments from experienced travellers. Your comments about the architecture of the place are valuable coming from an architect as your self.
Best Regards from Sunny Elounda

Director General,

Reviewed 9 June 2009

My wife and I have just got back from a week at the Blue Palace Resort & Spa on the island of Crete. Our week long stay was a mixed affair of highs and lows.

Firstly the positives. The hotel itself is stylish and set in a beautiful bay overlooking Spinalonga island, the former Greek leper colony. Set into the hillside above the bay, the terraced architecture makes best use of the natural topography. Rooms are comfortable with effective air-conditioning and great water pressure, both of which are typical problems often encountered elsewhere in the Med. The AC didn’t need a key-card to operate it, and didn’t switch off every time you opened the balcony doors.

Front-of-house staff were mostly (one exception) helpful, amiable, efficient, and all spoke very good English.

There were some nice touches which include being welcomed at reception with a glass of chilled orange juice whilst checking in, complimentary bottled water with the evening turn-down service, complimentary fresh fruit and local wine on arrival, factor 15 sun cream amongst the complimentary toiletries, and a beach towel service that wasn’t organised by the usual fascist pool attendant, again commonly found throughout the Mediterranean.

The two communal pools were kept at a very comfortable 25-27oC. Sunbeds are plentiful and comfortable, particularly those by the upper pool. Attendants at the lower pool were always on hand to provide refreshments, whilst poolside tables on the upper terrace are furnished with individual call-buttons.

On the downside, we had minor issues with our room. These included a safe that wouldn’t close/lock on the first day, and wouldn’t open on the last day (worked perfectly fine in between!), a basin that wouldn’t hold water because of a ill-fitting plug (something I’d expect house-keeping to discover and report), in-room internet connection that really wasn’t worth providing (the broken mouse didn’t help), and a wide-screen TV configured to the wrong aspect ratio.

On a hotel-wide basis, the problems were that the beach sun shades and the bases on which they sit are a bit on the small side which means having to constantly move the solid timber (and very heavy) sunbeds to track the shade, eventually having to move the sun bed off the base altogether. Beds on the upper terrace have a pair of wheels making them easier to negotiate, but suffer the same inadequate sun shades and a lack of (obvious?) changing and WC facilities in the proximity of the pool.

Access from the top of the site to the beach is via an innovative tracked cable-car, complete with air-con. Unfortunately, this single car struggles to meet the demand put on it often resulting in queues – I can’t imagine how irritating this might be at the height of the season! (Access on foot is a complicated and tiring affair given the nature of the slope and the staggered terraced arrangement.)

However, all of the above pales into insignificance compared to my major issue of food and beverage.

A quote from the hotels own website -- “Dinning at Blue Palace is a sublime experience touching all the senses as guests embark on a worldwide journey of culinary discovery.”

Having spent a great deal of time researching this particular aspect of the Blue Palace from several different sources, I was dismayed to discover that at best, the food sometimes failed to meet even the dizzy heights of ordinary.

Our first evening was spent dining in the hotels main restaurant, Olea. The buffet although varied was uninspired and could typically be found in much lesser establishments. The table d'hôte main courses didn’t fair much better. My wife’s salmon was over-cooked as was my beef entrecote, which had the added problem of being on the wrong side of chewy. Deserts, however, were good and quite imaginative – hats off to the pastry chef, for salvaging something of the evening!

We also had dinner in the hotel on our third night at the Asia Blue restaurant. This was the last occasion on which we suffered dinner at the hotel as it proved to be a wholly un-enjoyable affair. Both my own tour operator and Expedia describe this restaurant as providing “fusion” cuisine. Fusion to me is about the meeting of continents on a plate, not the meeting of 4 different menus printed on a single piece of card! We ordered two starters, two main courses, a small steamed rice and a noodle dish. That together with a bottle of the local plonk (and it really was plonk) came to 136 euros. (About £120)

The small starter portion of spare ribs were of your typical “take-away” genre, albeit with a sprinkling of sesame seeds. The mixed meat kebabs (3 pieces each of chicken, pork and beef) I believe were described as char-grilled. On the night we ate at Asia Blue they were neither char-grilled nor hot.

When the second course arrived, the sizzling beef dish was still (just) sizzling, but my wife’s main dish of sweet & sour pork was cold, as was the crockery. I sent the lot back, asking for it to be re-cooked so it all arrived at our table hot, and that we had the warm plates any first-year catering student would have automatically provided. This was a request that I made of, (I later found out,) the wine waiter. (Given that I poured more of my wine then he did, he’d been difficult to identify as the wine waiter.) His solution was to wander off and do nothing. No summoning of the waitress or restaurant manager… no explaining that he only dealt with the wine… he just simply wandered off and stood in another part of the restaurant! (Yes, this was the notable exception mentioned earlier.) After having summoned the restaurant manager, I repeated my complaint about the food, plus my displeasure at the attitude of the wine waiter.

The food was eventually cleared and arrived back at our table having been simply re-heated rather then re-cooked. However, the plates were still cold. These were taken away (again), and arrived back for a third time some minutes later. By this time, the noodles had taken on a pot-noodle quality under a skin that had formed due, I assume, to micro-waving. The sauce to the now re-cooked sizzling beef dish had been further reduced to a now gluttonous mess, which, when added back to the skillet that had been heated to within a knats of its melting temperature, simply burned the remaining over-reduced sauce. The result was the food had stuck to the skillet with the dish becoming burned and bitter. A very unhappy meal mostly left uneaten. A written complaint was made to the general manager and a verbal complaint was made to the food & beverage director. No response has ever been received.

Breakfast was of the buffet style described earlier - Ordinary but acceptable.

Lunch was a little more hit and miss. Two options for lunch existed which were the Isola Italian restaurant and the Blue door taverna. Lunch taken at the Isola could be taken as ones half-board option where as lunch at the Blue Door couldn’t. A little bizarre as both had some of the same dishes at the same price! (We didn’t find this out until we’d eaten at the Blue Door for the second time.)

The Isola provided the by now usual unexceptional quality. I recall a prosciuitto and mozzarella ciabatta which had been warmed ever-so-slightly to give the bread that stale quality but without effecting the chilled cheese in the slightest. Stale bread, cold mozzarella and un-trimmed prosciuitto – not a culinary experience that would leave one wanting more. The dish was not charged in that instance, but given that this was taken as my half-board option, it made no difference to my account. Other dishes ordered and consumed at the Isola had that processed, frozen & thawed quality, adding to the overall disappointment.

On a higher note, I have no complaints about the quality of the two meals we enjoyed at the Blue Door. At least here, those dishes described as char-grilled were indeed just that, if still a little pricey for what they were.

Generally both food and wine at the hotel were overpriced for the quality delivered. Certainly not the “sublime dining experience” promised, which I don’t believe could ever be delivered at the Blue Palace without fundamentally improving levels of skill and care.

My wife and I ate most evenings in the local tavernas and restaurants at Plaka and Elounda which we can recommend. Fresh, local ingredients well prepared, and all at reasonable prices, and without pretension.

Overall, a stylish hotel in a splendid location, badly let down by poor quality, over priced food and wine.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Surrey_UK_Discerning
Theodoros, Director General, Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dra Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write to the Trip Advisor site and express your impressions about the holiday you had with us. I appreciate enormously the fact that you write both about the positive and the negative
parts of your stay. I firmly believe that only by listening to the guests comments ,things can improve. Any constructive review can only help us improve the standards of service in all departments. I am terribly sorry about the bad experiences you had at the Asia Blue and Isola Restaurants and I do apologise about the behaviour of a certain member of our staff. As you mention yourself the vast majority of the people working with us are friendly and efficient. This is always the policy of the company and I am glad to know of your experience and I can assure you that I will look into the matter myself. I sincerely hope that you will eventually give the Blue Palace a second chance and that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Resort.

Blue Palace , A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Reviewed 13 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Blue Palace in May 2006. It was the last stop on our 2-week long honeymoon in the Greek isles, and it was the perfect way to end our honeymoon. After visiting few other islands for sightseeing and partying, we were exhausted and ready to just relax. We found Blue Palace to be absolutely beautiful, clean (it had been just a few years old then), and comfortable. The private limousine service to & from the hotel was enjoyable, the pool and private beach were relaxing with stunning views, great services at the spa (although I wasn't impressed with the spa amenities), and the food we had at all three of its restaurants were delicious We left the hotel ground just twice during our stay. One thing that I remember is though, the service at L'Orangerie was a bit overdone, pretentious -- the servers were just trying too hard! But overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Blue Palace and would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
Theodoros, Director general,Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2009

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for the very nice comments you have sent to Trip Advisor about your stay at the Blue palace Resort & Spa. We know very well how important the honeymoon is for the young couples who visit us and we take very good care of them trying to offer them the best impressions for the begining of their new life. It is really rewqrding to know that we do succeed. Thank you again

Reviewed 12 May 2009

Very good hotel. We loved it. To go to the beach you have to take a panoramic elevator (with beautifull view), but there's only one and you have to wait for it! Several beautifull large swimmingpools. The food is delicious and a lot of variation. Very good winelist.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for the favourable review you send to the Trip Advisor about the Blue Palace. It is nice to know that all the efforts of the Management & staff are rewarded with satisfied customers.

I hope that I will have the chance of welcoming you again at the Blue Palace,

Director general