“Beautiful resort but prepare for WIND” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
New York
“Beautiful resort but prepare for WIND”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel is contemporary, lying outside a very small village - Plaka - that is home to about six fish restaurants. The view is exquisite - across to Spinalonga Island and its ruins, and it's a must to take the ten minute boat trip to get there. The beach really is rocky but the Blue Palace has wooden walkways, and the nicest part is that you don't sit one on top of the other on the "beach." Beware, though - it's very windy here, much more so than the rest of the Elounda area, it seems. The wind does keep the heat at bay, but it can be hard to sit and read a book when the wind whips up. But we stopped in at its chief competitor, the Elounda Beach Hotel, and are very happy we chose the Blue Palace for its beauty and seclusion and spit and polish. Try for a room with a plunge pool, one of the loveliest places to hang out, and a great shady place in the afternoon. There isn't a lot of shade at the beach or at any of the three pools.
The staff is friendly but in 5 days there, no one knew who we were, so don't expect personalized service. And although the concierge is happy to help, you sometimes have to follow up to get a response - and there may be a charge for the service.
The buffet breakfast is lavish but expensive, and unless you have a car, there's no other option. Elounda is a 10 to 12 minute car-ride away. But if you do have a car, drive into Agios Nicholaos. No one at the hotel told us what a neat place it is - not overly fancy but not down on its heels - just a fun and hopping place to shop, have dinner, and watch the crowds.

1 Thank constablegal
Theofra, director at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time to send your impressions about the Blue Palace. You are absolutely right the Ayios Nikolaos is a small beautiful community. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in spite of the wind.

Director General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Westchester, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel is absolutely beautiful -- architecturally and design wise. It looked like the pictures in the web site. We were upgraded to a room with a private pool, which is definitely fun, even though the pool is very small and good only for plunging. The room itself is clean and neat, but nothing spectacular aside from the pool and view, which are spectacular. I agree with the reviewers who say the food is expensive, especially for those paying with dollars, and nothing special. The rocky beach is beautifully done -- walkways go over the rocks to "private" areas each with two lounge chairs and an umbrella -- no blaring music, a beautiful setting, a roped off sea area from a dock in which to swim, so you don't actually have to walk on the rocks. Spinalonga, across the bay, is a highlight - a good way to spend an hour.
There were two big negatives which would preclude us from recommending the place or returning-- the location seems to be on one of the windiest points on the island -- the wind was overwhelming for four of the five days we were there-- you couldn't read your book at the beach or pool (let alone a newspaper), my hat kept flying away, forget about tennis or water sports. We drove over to Elounda Beach Hotel which was much less windy, but dated and not nearly as impressive architecturally. While they can't control the wind, they could have (and should) provide more protected areas to sit and swim -- the only place that was comfortable was the protected terrace of our room. I understand the winds vary, but it is not uncommon to have very strong winds in that part of the island from most of the summer. That beautiful pool you see on the website was so cold and windy at the end of July, no one was using it or the lounge areas around it. They shoulld have at least heated the pool warmer.

The second negative was the service -- the staff did their jobs, but didn't make an effort to go out of their way to be helpful. Here are a few examples: 1. We were there five days, had breakfast in the same restaurant each morning, no one our names or anything about our desires -- all they wanted to know wherever we went was our room number. 2. When there was no concierge on duty, I asked the front desk manager to get tickets to the New Acropolis museum in Athens for us so that we could have them when we arrived in Athens (we were staying at another Starwood property there), and she told me to call that hotel and ask them to do it. I had pre-ordered boat tickets to Santorini before arriving at the Blue Palace -- I had to ask three times once I got there where the tickets were, and indeed if they had them. (They did, but I shouldn't have had to chase them down). 3. There are waitresses at the beach to sell drinks, but no attendant in the five days I was there helped arrange the beach chairs. 4. There were four staff members working at the waterfront to sell boat rides, but they spent the day sitting on the side in the shade, smoking and eating. 5. I was supposed to get a daily newspaper -- I didn't the first day: when I called day two, they said they would deliver one -- I got one day two and day three, but not day four. When I called then, they said they would deliver it the following day - never an apology -- I had to make too many calls.
One lady, Athina, was extremely friendly and when we told her what the shortcomings were, she said she would speak to the manager -- but the manager never sought us out to solicit our opinion.
When we left, we went to Santorini to stay at another Starwood resort, Vedema -- the service there was much better. We don't except Four Seasons service at a Starwood, but the service at the Blue Palace was no better than a basic Sheraton, and was not fitting of a Luxury Collection hotel.

I was made to feel like a number, not a person. I felt I always was chasing the staff, and following up. I would give the hotel 5 stars for beauty and design, but sadly only two stars for service.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CraigElizabeth
Dear Mrs Graig,

Thank you for taking the time to write and send your comments about the Blue Palace.
I do apologize if you found the service lucking in quality. I appreciate the fact that yoiu liked the property and I assure you that every effort is made to constantly improve the standards of all services in the Hotel although as you mention, there is nothing to be done about the wind. In greece we call it Meltemi and is typical of all the islanda during the months of July and August.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance and visit the Blue Palace again.

Theodoros rangos
Los angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

this place is amazing!

as platinum starwood members, we were upgraded to a gorgeous deluxe suite with private pool and gorgeous sea view.

the staff were all attentive and friendly.

the beach was beautiful.

we enjoyed the greek restaurant for lunch one day, as well as the one that's just above the pool. we mostly ate dinner in plaka (5 min walk) and elounda (10 min drive), two charming nearby villages.

we loved the boat ride to spinalonga. very fascinating and beautiful.

there was a free internet station in one of the buildings, which my son used, and a nice gym that my daughter used.
the spa was beautiful, but we didn't use it.

having cocktails on the hotel's upper terrace every evening was spectacular.

this was purely a relax-on-the-beach-and-do-nothing vacation, and this resort was perfect.

oh, i wish we were there right now!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Dear Guests,
I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and that ecery memver of the family found a favourite spot. I hopr that you will come again at the Blue Palace and enjoy the cocktails at the terrsce,

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I can speak for three generations - grandparents, parents and children who have travelled together many times before. Our 3 day stay at Blue Palace ranks at the very top of the places we have stayed before. We had 3 adjoining rooms with private pools with a fabulous view of the ocean and Spinalonga. Wow!
The hotel is beautiful and the service is excellent. We had a potential crisis since one of our small cases - one with a laptop and camera - never made it onto the taxi. The young man at Guest Relations tracked it down and it was driven out to us to the hotel.
Since we don't speak Greek we prticularly appreciated the trouble the hotel personnel went to on oiur behalf. It also speaks well for Crete that someone who found the case actually turned it into Security.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
On behalf of the staff and managemebnt of the Blue Palace, I would like to thank you for your excellent comments. I am thrilled that yoiu enjoyed yoiur stay and glad that your handbag was found. Have a nice winter,

Yors sincerely

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2009

This is definitely one of the best resorts I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. I have no idea what these people that have poor comments are talking about. The rooms are amazing, the staff amazing, service amazing.

I was all ready to make day trips to local sights, but never got a chance because I couldn't pull myself away from the resort, and my private pool!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Theofra, Director at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 3 November 2009
Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for taking the time and write your very nice comments about the Blue palace. I am really happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely hope to welcome you again as guests.
dc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

The rooms in this resort are amazing! The pools are great and you can walk to Placa and eat great fresh fish. The staff is friendly but DO NOT EAT HERE the food is terrible! We ate at three restaurants and room service everything was mediocre at best. The food in Placa is excellent. Also do not eat anywhere in Elounda its a tourist trap and the food reflects it over priced and bad. The best of the worst at the resort is blue door the greek restaurant. The spa is hit or miss. I had the best pedicure of my life but one the worst massages ever. I did however get to meet Fabio Grosso at the spa which was neat. The hotel is beautiful, the staff is excellent but they really need to improve on the food. Also I would recommend renting a car and seeing the island its gorgeous and everything is 40% cheaper once you leave the resort area.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank advogado
Theodoros, Director General , Blue Palace Resort & Spa at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this review, 22 July 2009
Dear Guest,

I just read the review you send to the Trip Advisor. I am glad you liked the resort and I am terribly sory that you found the food bad. We went through a period when we experimended with some new procedures and it seems that it did not work. We are back to the old systems now and the comments from our guests are quite encouraging about the quality of food serv ed in the various venues in the Hotel. I really wish you could give the Blue Palace another chance and come again for Holiday so that you change your oppinion about the food. I would nevertheless like to thank you for taking the time to send your comments to the site,

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2009

We had arrived in Crete for the last leg of our honeymoon and it was just the perfect ending to a perfect trip.
We had a seaview room with private pool and it was just about the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in. We didn't have an infinity pool which was just fine with me because we had a big private deck we could eat breakfast and lay out on. We arrived to rose petals and champagne and it was just lovely. We also got a honeymoon cake. They really know how to treat honeymooners here.
The restaurants at the resort are delicious as well. My favorite was L'Orangerie. There are some restaurants in town, we only went to one (Lotus Eaters and it was great!).
The only thing about the hotel that you should know is that it is somewhat isolated. We would have rented a car but the driving in Crete is scary. So we spent most of our time at the resort, which was fine because they make sure everything you need is right there. In fact, when we arrived my husband had an eye infection and they sent over the in house doctor to take care of him. She treated him that night and sent over medication from the pharmacy the next morning. Truly outstanding service.
We also had massages which excellent and quite affordable compared to everything else. The spa is just beautiful and not to be missed!

Dear Guests,

I am so vey happy that you enjoyed your Honeymoon at the Blue Palace. We know how important this special holiday is and we try hard to offer the best possible begining to a new life. It is really rewarding to know that young couples appreciate that.

Yours SIncerely

Director General
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Elounda Garden Suites
Elounda Garden Suites
#1 of 36 in Elounda
Elounda Beach Hotel & Villas
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection
Sensimar Elounda Village Resort & Spa by Aquila
Daios Cove Luxury Resort & Villas

Been to Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete? Share your experiences!