“Charmless Hotel With Pretty Bay VIew”

Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 24 October 2009

While the beachfront and view of Elounda Bay was truly spectacular, the hotel itself was unimpressive. The property was enormous and sprawling and felt more like a middle-of-the-road all-inclusive Caribbean resort than a Greek "palace." The hotel itself was impressively decorated and was the least pretty hotel we stayed on during our 2 week trip, and it was also by far the least quaint. The rooms were comfortable and the decor was unmemorable. Our room had a private pool which was nice, but the water was kept to cold to go in. I didn't try the food there since I heard it was awful and overpriced.

If you're going to Creete to lounge by the water, then I recommend staying at a nearby boutique luxury hotel with the same view, but that is decorated with a Greek aesthetic so you can feel like you're in Creete, not Cancun. If you're going to sightsee around Crete, then I recommend staying closer to Chania or Rethemnon, which have beautiful old towns.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ThirtyByThirty
Theofra, director at Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2009

Dear Guests,

I am sorry to read that you did not really liked the Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa. The Hotel is actually not enormous ( we have 251 rooms and suites ). It does look big maybe, due to the fact that it is spread over a very big piece of land. I believe that you should give us a fair chance and try one of our five restaurants because in spite of what you heard, the food is very goos and the service excellent.

Reviewed 18 October 2009

Just returned from 10 glorious days at the Blue Palace, a hotel that for once is BETTER than the website! We drove ourselves from Heraklion airport - picturesque drive of about 90 mins along the new national road, (as far as it goes). We drove our modest hire car to teh door, and immediately a 'groom' rushed out to get our bags, take our keys to park the car, and give us a cool glass of orange juice while we check ed in. This level of service continued the entire stay!

The hotel is arranged down the hill, with most bungalows having private plunge pools at the front, and EVERY room has an uninterrupted sea view. Larger villas are on the left of the main drive. A glass lift/funicular runs right down the middle of the hotel from the top reception area to the beach at the bottom, so you don't have to hike back up the hill after a day by the sea or dinner out!

We stayed in a Superior Bungalow, which was actually a large room with balcony and superb, uninterrupted views across to the island of Spinalonga. Large marble bathroom, incredibly comfy king sized bed and a large plasma tv complete with free internet access.

Breakfast in the top restaurant was vast - every kind of cereals, cold meats, cheeses, hot breakfast, juices, breads, pastries, fresh fruit, desserts, and even free champagne if you could face it. A lady would also cook you fresh omelettes or crepes while you watched. Stunning food, fresh as a daisy, and as much as you wanted on a table in the sunshine or in the shade.

Weather was superb - arrived in 25 degrees of heat and got up to 31 one day. Rained once - for 15 mins! Yes, this corner of Crete is a little windy, but actually most days we were grateful for the breeze. Beach is large pebbles with individual wooden decks with parasols and two loungers on each - walk on the concrete or the wooden walkways not the pebbles, or risk slipping onto your backside, as I did the first day! (Only hurt was to my pride!) Behind the beach is a large pool, which I had to myself every single time I swam - amazing. If that's too cool at 27 degrees, just pop into the spa (it's free to guests) and glory in their inside pool at 31 degrees, which was - empty every time I went. Also, women's only jacuzzi, sauna and superb marble traditional steam room (hammam).

Restaurants were pricey, so every Brit staying there did what we did, and walked down to the local village of Plaka, an easy and well-lit ten minute stroll from the bottom lift station.(Exit the lift, go up the stairs to the side, and then turn right across the footbridge. A metal gate opens with your key card to let you out onto the road. Follow the lights to the left to Plaka!) The five local tavernas on the seafront all specialise in fish which can prove pricey at Euro55 per kilo minimum; our favourite was Gorgona, to the right of the steps down to the harbour.

We loved relaxing in the Blue Palace so much, we really didn't explore too much! The (big) supermarket on the square in Elounda provided essential such as feta, meats, breads, water and wine for lunch (stored in our room's minibar with no problems), and we were surprised that restaurant prices in Elounda were a little cheaper than Plaka - effect of competition we suspect. Ag Nik was a disappointment unless you were shopping for jewellery. Our morning on Spinalonga was wonderful - catch the 0930 boat from Plaka (8 euros return) to miss the crowds. The 'craft village' of Kritsa was disappointing - tourist trap - bu the nearby ancient town of Lato was amazing, perched on top of a hill and views one side the valleys, the other to the sea and Ag Nik beyond. Just us and a few Swiss German hiker-types - wonderful. Go early in good shoes - the site is hot at midday and shuts at 3pm.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TRNCvillaseekers

Dear Guest,

I am really very happy that you did enjoy your stay at the Blue palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa. Actually I fully agree with you that the site does not does justice to the Resort. It is indeed very difficult to appreciate the beauty of the view in a photo. I hope to have the chance of welcoming you again at the BLue Palace,

Yours SInceely

Theodoros Frangos'

Reviewed 17 October 2009

We stayed at the Blue Palace for a portion of our honeymoon in Greece. We splurged for a room with a heated private pool. The pool was not very private other than it was only accessbile from our room. Our pool was right next to about 6 other pools lined up side-by-side. The pool was not very heated either. We complained to the staff about it and nothing was every done to make it warmer. We couldn't even swim in it in the early morning or at night. We could only swim in it when the sun was out in full-force. It was too cold otherwise. We were very disappointed with the pool.

Our room and the rest of the hotel were beautiful. It was a wonderufl setting. We were very surprise however that the resort was so large...and it was a turn off for us as we expected something more private. We did enjoy our stay however and if we go back to Crete we would probably stay here again. The staff was nice but kind of on the snobby side. They were not as friendly as other hotels we stayed at in Greece. We did enjoy the hotel and all the couches and lounge chairs. It was very relaxing. I'm glad we stayed here when it wasn't too crowded (Sept.). The free breakfast is also very nice as well. However I believe it stops at 10:30 which is kind of early for some people on vacation. The beach was very rocky but nice. The Asain restaurant here was delicious.

Dear Guests,

Than you very much for taking the time to write your oppinion about the BLue Palace. I am very happy that in spite of your few negative remarks, your overall impression is a positive one, especially since this was a part of your Honeymoon.

Yours SIncerely

Reviewed 16 October 2009

Every inch of the Blue Palace was luxurious and beautiful to the eye. The lobby was eye catching and views from the sitting areas were spectacular. The architecture was outstanding and building materials interesting. Because it was built on a hillside, a funicular was available, as were golf carts to assist - a phone call away and only a few minutes wait. The service was A plus. Every need was addressed with lovely unexpected touches. Upon arrival to our room, we were greeted with fruit and wine. Our room, up on the hillside, looked out at our private infinity pool which looked out at Elounda Bay with 3 land masses to give the view depth. There were many choices of pools. A private dock was available at the beach and the snorkeling around the dock was marvelous. The spa was incredible. The pool was huge , heated and visually beautiful. The spa amenities were top of the line with an extremely large therapy pool - jets for every part of your body - amazing experience. I spent 3-4 hours at the spa , including the sauna, steam, whirlpool - it was the most relaxing part of the whole vacation and definitely worthwhile. The only disappointment was one dinner meal. But the restaurants at Elounda Bay were superior and filled the gap. We even came upon a Greek festival in town and enjoyed the dancing and comraderie.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing so nice things about the Blue Palace. am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and I can assure you that in the case you choose to join us again you will find out that the quality of food is much improved.

Reviewed 14 October 2009

My husband stayed for five nites in September. Let me preface the review by saying that we stayed on a combination of free Starwood nights and points/ cash redemption. So we spent very little for a room (which they upgraded to a beautiful suite without any prompting). I'm thinking if I spent 700 euro/ nite I may be a bit more picky. But I can't find really any areas to complain about.

We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon in our dreadful little rental car (yes, although they assured me it was an upgrade, I was a bit sheepish pulling up to the swank entrance to have the Nissan micra valeted!). Right from the beginning, you could tell you were at a 5-star resort. The porter looked after our luggage. One of the concierge took us for a tour of the main building and then took us in the golf cart to the south building where our suite was located. I highly recommend this part of the property. If you're not going to shell out for a room that has a private pool (we never saw one person using theirs - why use your bathtub size private pool when there were beautiful pools and the oceans a short ride on the vernicular away?) In the south building is the free business centre, an extensive library (for cheesy reads by the pool) and it is sooo quiet here.

Our suite was breath-taking. Large space, great lounge area, huge balcony and the bathroom was so luxurious - heated floors, TV for the tub, rain shower. Very high end toiletries and great fluffy towels. They also gave us a bottle of wine and fresh fruit to greet us. The turn down service was very attentive - freshening of the bathroom, nite face masks, chocolate and the next day's weather report.

We ate in the hotel resto once (separate review). Excellent food and service but sooooo overpriced.

To get to the beach, there's a vernicular from the hotel - how luxurious is that? I can't imagine a more decadent hotel and don't know why this isn't #1 rated for Crete. Service was exceptional - a true concierge service, free valet parking, prompt pool service (I mean they walk you to your lounge chair with towels in hand!). Overall, an excellent experience.

3  Thank mischivas

Dear Guests,

I am very glad to hear about how much you liked the Blue Palace. Starwood SPG guests are always welcome and offered the upgrade required,provided the hotel's availability allows it. I hope to have the chance to have yoiu again as a guest at the Hotel.

Reviewed 3 October 2009

Not impressed. Besides being completely overpriced, it is not well kept, the restaurants are not good, and the rooms are ordinary. We even paid for the infinity pool in our room and what a disappointment. The resort is over an hour from the port and airport. Just not worth it.

Dear Sir,

I am really sorry to read that you did not like the Blue Palace Resort & Spa. Every effort has been made to create a beautiful resort with comfortable rooms and a variety of food & beverage venues, the whole in an exquisite setting with spectacular views.I appreciate the fact that you did not like the end result and I am sorry about that. Just a small remark : the Blue palace is not that massive. We only have 250 rooms and we offer a very personal level of service.

Yoiurs Sincerely

Reviewed 2 October 2009

I loved this hotel. The moment I arrived, it seemed as though the entire hotel staff came to your side. They are super nice, and attentive. The rooms were gorgeous, nice bathrooms, with a private plunge pool. The restaurant is pricey, we ate at the Italian restaurant, and my food was very bland. I wouldn't eat there again. Aside from that, it was great.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

i am really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Blue Palace and I am sory to learn about your bland meal at the Italian Restaurant.It seems that no matter how hard someone tries, the results are the expected.