“We loved our stay here..”

Elounda Ilion Hotel
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Elounda
Reviewed 20 July 2011

In brief, its very clean, comfortable, great pool area, really friendly staff, good housekeeping, good food, good atmosphere, and run very efficiently, almost effortlessly but you can tell everyone works hard. I would have no hesitation in returning or recommending to others and the location and views are outstanding.
In full, if you can afford a superior sea view bungalow, do, as the views are amazing. Room 32 was perfect. Great bathroom, 2 bedrooms, lounge area, 2 balconies, air con and mini bar/fridge. Some say the smaller bungalows are "dated", I would say they are more "Cretan" looking but still comfortable. The buffet style breakfast has everything you could need and is of quality. Food is good at the evening also, though it could do with a little more variation but its hard to fault and all restaurant staff were friendly, though no drinks are offered they must be purchased with dinner.
Everywhere is clean and the pool area is pretty with a small infinity pool and a larger swimming pool. Comfortable seating and tables are nearby to take in the views on. Plenty of beds and parasols, a great little snack and drinks bar, where a large pizza for 2 was €8, baguette and fries €6 and a larger well lit and well stocked bar area. € 3.50 for a beer, €2 for a coke, and €7 for a large short and mixer. I include the prices as a guide but don't get hung up on them everything is reasonable and well worth it.
It is a 20 to 30 minute stroll into Elounda, with a couple of small inclines so you have to have a little stamina in the heat, but a taxi is only €7 and the bus stop is out through the back of the hotel up a slope and left and left again onto the main road and a few feet along. It costs €1.60 per person one way. Buses have air con and conductors and are very efficient. Cross the road and you can get a bus to Agios Nikolais. A taxi to Ag Nik cost €13 and its well worth a day or evening out.
Spinalonga was worth the trip as was the boat which we took from Plaka. I found this village small but really pretty and you can get the mini train or bus to Plaka from Elounda. Finally the small beach/rock area belonging to the Hotel is down an alleyway directly across the road from the hotel. Not a lot of room but the rocky part in front gets you directly into the cool sea and is quite private. If you can hire a car its worth it because of the walk back and to and or the cost of taxis to get about the area however we still enjoyed our little hikes out to Elounda.
Ate at the Ferryman, stunning waterside setting, approximately € 24 each with a carafe of house red and water, starters and mains. Really good food and lots of it. Also tried Mams House which cost less but we still enjoyed the food and the atmosphere, music and friendly owner. Didn't enjoy the taxi strike on Monday and Tuesday but they have the right to do what they feel is right. Just wish they would have given me notice as the walk home in the dark under the influence, ( a little), carrying Ouzo,wine, water and souvenirs was not a lot of fun. Neither was the blockading of the airport and the walk down from the road with our cases..... All in all, a beautiful part of Crete, with warm friendly people, clear blue waters, plenty of bars and eateries and a great hotel and stunning location, I would go back for another stay..

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 July 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Ilion for 2 weeks and had a great time. However, the hotel does have flaws which may be minor or major depending on your taste so please read on and I will do my best to explain.
If you would like a sea view at this hotel (who doesn't), then this would appear to be a bit of a lottery unless you have paid in advance for a superior room. The hotel has an elevated position overlooking the coast but our initial room on arrival (room 64 I think) had a view of the rear of the main building and that was about it! We like to sit out on our balcony on holiday and therefore for us this was a big deal (especially as our tour operator only advertised sea view rooms)! Luckily after a bit of a discussion with reception we were able to re-locate the next day to a room that had a fantastic view (room52).
The room was quite small but authentic which we didn't have an issue with, especially as we didn't plan to spend much time in it anyway. Others may not agree, especially as I think this room was classed as a superior one. The beds were hard but I haven't experienced anything different in Greece!
Swimming pool was superb (cleaned every morning) with an amazing view over the coast. This was probably the biggest plus for the hotel. The bar and restaurant also had fantastic views.
Food was fine but certainly not gourmet cuisine. Again, this was not a big deal to us as we tended to eat out at lunchtime and have a small supper at the hotel, but for others this could be an issue. Staying for 2 weeks the food would be repetitive. Staff though in the restaurant were superb - very friendly and attentive. Views from the restaurant great as located just above the pool.
The hotel is located about a 20 - 25 minute walk from the main Elounda harbour. This may not seem too bad for some but in the heat of the day it's quite tough! Consequently, we spent quite a bit of money in taxis (7 euros one way). There is a bus stop on the main road but we found the bus timetable quite unreliable!
Bar staff were excellent and very attentive. Bar prices nothing out of the ordinary for a hotel in this resort.
All in all we had a great time. Elounda is a very upmarket resort and this hotel was fine in our opinion, especially considering the money we paid for the holiday. If you manage to secure a decent room with a view, prefer a swimming pool to the beach and don't mind a walk or taxi ride to get into town this hotel is good value. Other hotels in Elounda may be 5 star, closer to town and possibly have better food but you will no doubt have to pay a lot more for the privelege.

1  Thank williamss_11
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I have just arrived back from staying at the Elounda Ilion hotel in Crete for seven days in july. Having stayed at numerous four and five star hotels in the past I was shocked to see my room on arrival. I had originally asked for a twin modern room, however when I arrived I was shown a double cretan style room (room 56) which had:

1. Poor lighting
2. A cupboard door missing
3. The doors to my room were plain glass doors which looked like doors to a cafe (not very safe for two girls staying themselves) and other guest could walk passed and see in.
4. The button to flush the toilet was missing and there was just the still rod to press instead.
5. The lighting in the toilet was ridiculous, I would have had more light from a few candles!

This was the last straw for me, after having my flight delayed and a transfer time of two hours with a maniac driving the coach. I then spoke to reception who told me the modern rooms were fully booked and gave me some excuse about it being because of the time I checked in at (7:30pm). I then asked to be upgraded to another room and was told I would have to pay a charge of 200 Euros for this. (it seems after reading some of the reviews they have done this for free on other occassions). The receptionist then informed me that he had already had to do this for another four women, which made me think is this some sort of SCAM to get holiday makers to pay more money. Then to top it off the hotel credit card machine appeared not to work. We were then moved to a supposed “superior room” (room 38) as no other rooms were available. There superior was not at all superior, it was more like a basic three star hotel room.

Also, at breakfast there were flies in the scrambled egg and on the food and I agree with the other reviews that there wasn't much choice.

Again, like the other reviews have said the hotel is in a quiet setting with no entertainment at night unless it is a Saturday where a band play music, it is also about a forty minute walk to the Elounda marina and a taxi ride (10 euros) or bus (1.50 euro) to the nearest town. We hired a car which cost 40euros for one day and found driving easy enough the only hard part was trying to figure out how to get on to the main road.

The rep was very friendly and helpful and we ended up going on three trips to Watercity, Spinalonga and a Jeep Safari which I would highly recommend.

I wouldn't stay here again, if you are looking for a 4* star then there are other better hotels in Elounda to stay in that are closer to the marina.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank holidayhunter111
Reviewed 14 July 2011

Just back from a 2 week stay. Stayed in room 67 which had great views. The room had everything we needed and was squeaky clean. The maid did a very good job cleaning every day, floor always washed. After being out and about most days, it was lovely to come back to a clean and fresh room.
The reception staff - uber professional and very knowledgeable about the local area. The bar staff - very good and friendly. Some of the staff in the dining room/snack bar let the side down, customer service not just as good.
I had heard mixed reports about the food, but we always managed to get a good wholesome meal every time, and the desserts always good.
The walk into Elounda is a pleasant stroll in the evening, but we found it a task during the heat of the day.
There are 2 small supermarkets beside the hotel, one at the bottom as you walk towards Elounda, the other at the top.
The bus stop into Elounda and Ag Nik at the top entrance to the hotel beside the supermarket, just out on the main(busy) road. We used the bus twice and found the service to be very good.
We hired a car for 7 days from Eagle (highly recommended) you can find them on the walk into Elounda, they also have an office in town.
We really enjoyed our stay and would go back to this hotel

Room Tip: bring a travel kettle no facilities in room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carsdeb
Reviewed 5 July 2011

My wife and I chose the Elounda Ilion as a base for our wedding in Crete. Originally, the hotel was selected for it's close proximity to our wedding venue at the Peninsular and the reasonable price. However, upon our arrival we were very impressed with the uninterrupted views of the sea. This does come at a price as the hotel approach is quite steep, but this was ok for us.
We found the rooms clean and modern (we had reserved a superior bungalow) and having seen the basic nature of the standard rooms, we were pleased to have paid the extra. During our stay the air conditioner broke but the hotel was very proactive and moved us to another room which was even nicer.
The evening food received mixed reviews from our family who stayed with us prior to the wedding with lack of choice being the key criticism but we found it ok in the main. Definitely an area that they could make more of, particularly with local food and fresh fish available around the town. The breakfast did have a lot of choice. Elounda town does have a wide range of restaurants and is a 5 min taxi ride (7 euros) or circa 30mins walk.
The pool area was relatively tranquil and relaxed and we were blessed with very good weather throughout our stay. It is a hotel made for those looking for a quieter holiday as there are not many facilities other than sun beds and a good pool but would be ideal for those looking to explore the island or just looking to chill out. Just to add that the hotel beach is just a rocky outcrop with access to the sea about 200yds from the hotel so beach lovers don’t get your hopes up!
The stand out feature was the friendliness of the staff and the Cretan people in general. In particular, Alberto and Dimitris were very friendly and were the difference between us giving a good rating to a very good rating. Indeed, the wife of Dimitris actually did my wife’s hair for the wedding! We asked for a discount but he bought us a beer instead!
All in all, we really enjoyed the stay and would recommend to those who want a peaceful slow stay in a hotel with fantastic views, providing that you are not to particular about the food or the steep slopes.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We stayed at the Ilion last month and found it extremely comfortable and very accommodating. We did ask to have a room upgrade from room 53, but that was done quickly and without fuss. We ended up with a very large and extremely comfortable room.

This hotel is family run and manages to carry off an almost impossible ambience: it is intimate without being intrusive and impersonal, but also caring. All the staff were very helpful and pleasant. We were especially taken with Dimitrios and Albert in the bar who coulnd't have been kinder or more helpful. The multi-talentedAlbert seemed to have a day job at the hotel, also, and worked extremely hard and always very cheerfully and politely. All this besides being a great dancer! We were very impressed with him. We found the food to be of good quality and well cooked with a range of choice. We also enjoyed a freshly made lunch of kalamari and a Greek salad which was cheaper than those in Elounda.

One of the highlights of our holiday was watching an eclipse of the moon from the pool terrace. Every day when we came in we would sit on our balcony and enjoy the absolutely stunning view of Spinalonga.

Although the hotel is a 30 minute walk from Elounda the hotel were always happy to order us taxis which cost a flat 7 euros. A taxi to Agia Nikolaos cost 12 Euros and from there we took a 10 euro boat trip to Spinalonga and the sunken city of Olounis which we really enjoyed. On Spinalonga we were collected by a small boat and taken back to Elounda at no extra charge.

Elounda itself is a small but extremely pleasant town. We ate many lunches out there and one dinner. We never ate one meal which was less than really fresh and beautifully cooked and offered with hospitality and very good manners. We particularly noticed the highly polished cutlery.

The municipal beach is comparatively small, but uncrowded and has a blue flag. One thing we didn't notice until the last day was that the right hand side of the beach, which we favoured and which had a stony bottom, wasn't the best bit for swimming - that was the left hand side of the beach which had a sandy bottom.

We met three couples in the hotel who told us that they went to the Ilion year after year. for one couple from Belfast it was their fourteenth year!

The only real drawback to this holiday was the transers. We arrived at 00.20 and by the time the coach had gone around many hotels in Hersonissos, Malia, Agios Nikolaos and many other resorts on route to Elounda it was 3.15am. However, the hotel had saved us a meal and opened up the dining room for us which we really appreciated. We had the same problem on a day trip to Knossos which resulted in nearly six hours on the coach and only three at Knossos/Heraklion. Sharing a taxi or hiring a car for the day would be a much better option. These round trips cost 38 euros each and car hire for a day might be cheaper.

However, this was very memorable holiday in a lovely hotel and very classy resprt. We will be back.

2  Thank 186378Elizabeth
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed in a superior sea view bungalow for one week half-board in June 2011. To sum it up I would say it was very relaxing but maybe a little too quiet.

Bedrooms were very good, very modern. Easily the best view from balcony and hotel area in general that we have ever stayed in.

Hotel is perhaps a bit out of the way...it took us about a 30 min walk into the town of Elounda. Now we are in our 20's and it took us 30 mins for for anyone to say it was 15/20 mins must have been sprinting (incidentally we did meet some joggers on our way!!). Also the walk into Elounda was along this narrow road where cars and coaches were constant - probably once every minute and there was no footpath until you got maybe within 5 mins of Elounda...so the actual walk in was not all that enjoyable shall we say...along the way there are several hotels but only 2 shops and a couple of car rental places. By the way there is a shop just about 2 mins from the hotel entrance which is a lovely location for it to be. Very convenient.

The pool area is lovely and the staff couldn't have done more to help us...they are lovely people. I can't really complain about the hotel being quiet as that is exactly what we wanted - just some chill out time with no-one bothering us...but we didn't expect it to be just THIS quiet...other guests that were there at the time didn't really speak to us so even when you were sun bathing, it seemed blissfully quiet apart from a couple of days when there were kids there...very quiet and relaxing.

Half board was ok. Evening meals not always great but we always managed to get something to eat so was not a problem.

Overall, we had a lovely, relaxing, quiet time. If anyone wants this, then the Elounda Ilion is def the place for you. You will love it. It will do you the world of good!!

2  Thank misferrari