“Good apartment, not so good hospitality!”
Review of Lena Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elounda
Lena Apartments
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good apartment, not so good hospitality!”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I arrived at Lena at around 3.30am and were greeted by George, the owners son who provided us with some bottled water which we could pay for the following day and showed us to our room. When we reached room 5, I was initially a little disappointed as it had what appeared to be a shared terrace on the ground floor with no view. However, in daylight, it turned out there was a nice view of the mountains and an orchard immediately opposite. The terrace was fairly private as the studio next door had it's own terrace round the corner and was only used to gain entry.

The room itself was basic but initially clean and comfortable. It has a kettle, small electric hob, pots, pans, cutlery, bottle opener and fridge freezer. The single beds in the room cannot be pushed completely together because of the frame so we spent a week sleeping slightly apart! This turned out to be not too bad as it was very hot each night and we opted not to spend 50 something Euros for A/C. There is a safe in the room bit if you don't want it, make sure you give the key to the owners ASAP or you will be charged for it!

The bathroom was fine except that the shower did not have anything to attach to the wall so it had to be held and the absence of a shower curtain meant that the bathroom was essentially a wet-room. Hot water was limited and was ususally available only in the afternoon. All in all though, we were very pleased with the apartment.

However, there was a downside and that was the cleaning policy. They only change the sheets on Tuesdays and as most arrivals are on a Tuesday, this means that you won't get a sheet change at all if you are there for a week! We asked John, the owner to have the sheets changed halfway through the holiday and he mumbled something about dirty feet and walked off without giving me an answer. We did eventually end up getting the sheets changed though.

The cleaner only occasionally visits the room and this means that you have to make your own bed daily and wipe up dirty footprints from the bathroom on a regular basis without access to a mop! A daily whip round from the cleaner would be a great improvement as it is nice to return from the beach to a clean and tidy room.

For some reason, Lena Apartments don't include toilet paper in the cost of the stay. It was a couple of days before I realised this after I had to ask behind the bar which shouldn't be necessary. Once John told me that they don't provide it, we started to ration it and vowed not to buy any toilet paper out of principal! We did manage to survive on 'good will gestures' from Lena, John's daughter who was the only member of staff who was consistently friendly and welcoming.

The pool area is very clean and pleasant but small. Lena is only a small place though so although it was often busy, it was never over-crowded. With the beach just across the road, we spent most of the time over there anyway.

As other reviewers have said, it seems that you only really feel welcome and are payed attention when you are spending at the bar, however this seems to be a common theme in Greece and not just at Lena. With all of the other bars, restaurants and tavernas nearby though, there is no need to spend much time at the apartments if you don't want to.

A final gripe is that the staff seem to not care about making noise; banging, scraping and dropping right outside the apartment after the bar has closed and they are presumable tidying up. Not what you want when it has taken you ages to get to sleep because of the heat and then being woken up shortly after!

Elounda itself is a fantastic little town with everything within walking distance. We would advise taking the boat to Spinalonga, the scenery on the boat and from 'The Island' is amazing as is it's history. We also walked to Plaka one evening and this took about an hour. It got dark as we were walking though and the it didn't feel safe on the road as we approached Plaka as there is no pavement or lighting for much of the way. If you walk, do it before it gets dark!

We found the Mercedes taxis very reasonable and a comfortable way to get to places such as Agios Nikoloas and the bus is also very good.

All in all, we would definitely recommend Elounda and would advise to choose Lena with the knowledge that it is a pleasant place to stay but doesn't have the most hospitable hosts. if you need something, ask and you will probably get. You can always butter them up with a tip here and there to keep them on-side!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan85_L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Lena Apartments in Elounda. I was a little worried before our visit after reading some of the other reviews but wanted to keep an open mind as I am fully aware that the Greek style of self catering accommodation doesn't suit everyone. My family tend to spend most of the day on a beach and do not spend a lot of money around the pool every day, but I found I was treated with the same courtesy as everyone else there. I found all of the owners and workers polite and helpful and had no issues with any aspect of the property. We had a very nice BBQ one night which was the only time we ate there as we usually prefer a walk before our meal and were very impressed with the food and value. I don't usually write reviews but felt that some of the previous reviews seemed a little harsh so decided to add my opinion, for what it's worth. It has a fantastic outlook and is perfectly placed to keep you close but not in the middle of Elounda's harbour with its fantastic choice of tavernas. The best praise I can give is that I would happily pay to go back and stay at the Lena again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank mattkelly3
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Me and my new husband chose this place for our honeymoon we stayed mid july at lena for one week. When we fiirst arrived we thought was pleseant bit small and dark in the room but amazed by the view from the apartments and the sea right across the road was lovely.
The owners seemed nice until you got to know them and like alot of greek people only really laugh and talk to you alot when you spend money there which we didnt always we liked to explore around of the apartments.
Around the pool side wasnt very big and if you didnt get up early enough like many other people to start sunbathing you wouldnt get a spot all day and had to go over the road to the beach which was fine, but when you wanted to lounge around the pool we had to do what i hate ddoing, but everyone else was which was to wake up early and leave our towels on the sunbeds.
I was abit suprised when the rep said we only get our bins cleaned every days and the bedding wouldnt get changed if you were there for a week!.
If you go into the town which is small but lovely at night watching the sunset, defo go into porto rino for dinner was lovely and so were the staff and for the drinking go Garden of eden, fre pool tables and games and a nice outside sitting area also Manos and helena were lovely everytime.
I did like Elounda as a place and thought for the cheap price Lena apartments was nice to stay but we prob wont return to stay there.

1 Thank Caroline P
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Lena Apartments in mid July 2013, we had low expectations as it was very cheap and it was our first holiday away for both of us. As we arrived we were pleasantly surprised by the location of the apartments (30m from the sea and 5 mins away from bars and restaurants). The room was very spacious and very simple, the cooking was basic with no oven, the only thing we were disappointed with during the whole stay was the lack washing up utilities. Family is very nice and we did not have any problems with them even though we didn't spend much money at the pool bar. We would recommend this place to anyone even if you're a family looking for somewhere relaxing and friendly or just a couple looking for a romantic get-away.

2 Thank Frederik P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is a long review as I feel there is a lot to say about this place.
We booked to stay at Lena for 2 weeks based on its location and proximity to the beach...which is very good, you are a stone’s throw across the road to the sea.
The place itself is average, the pool is very small next to the road and looks out over the beach/sea.
The room we had (No.10) is on the first floor and was nice and spacious with a balcony. We had a side view which looked out to the mountains and was nice and quiet (no road noise which was nice). We had 2 single beds which were easily pushed together and comfortable.
We tried a few days without air con which resulted in many mosquito bites from leaving the windows open...so we got air con which is 7 Euros per day...also the safe is 15 Euros for 2 weeks (10 for 1 week). We were not told that there is a plastic bottle that needs emptying on the balcony when the air con is on for more than a day...we found this out by opening the balcony doors to pools of water (which dried out quickly in the heat). We had to remember to empty this each day to avoid balcony flooding.
On to the cleaning of the rooms...this took place every 3 days. In Greece you have to put toilet paper in a small bin in the bathroom, now to me and every other hotel I have been to in Greece this is emptied daily to keep from smelling and for health and cleanliness. In Lena they feel it is appropriate to empty this every 3 days...very unhealthy and disgusting.
The towels where changed around 2/3 times in the two weeks we stayed there and the bedding was changed 2 times in 2 weeks.
In the 2 weeks we were there and having 2 showers a day, we probably had hot/warm water about 4/5 times in total. A cold shower is nice in the Greek heat but a little warm water is always welcome too...it is nice to have an option for it anyway, which we did not always have. Washing your hair with cold water is not the most pleasant thing to do.
The staff at Lena...we read previous reviews saying how nice they all are and my experience of being on Greek Islands has shown me the people are very helpful and friendly...this was not the case here. We arrived late and were shown to our room and that was probably the most conversation we had with any of the staff here (apart from when they wanted something from us - passports and money for air con). We are not the type of people to sit around the hotel all day every day, we prefer to go out on trips and down to the beach. We got the impression that they did not like this, they like people who stay and spend money at the bar on drinks and food. We pretty much got ignored each morning and afternoon when we went out and came back, very rarely a hello or good morning from the staff there. They seemed friendly enough with people who sat around the bar all day but did not have time to say hello to us because they knew we weren't spending our money there. I tried to start a conversation with the bar man once about a trip we went on that day and he wasn't interested at all...yet seemed happy enough to have a laugh with other people staying there handing their money over to him. We stayed round the pool once and it was the worst day of our trip...it was like being in a morgue; boring, unfriendly and we never felt welcome or comfortable there.
They would constantly be asking if we were leaving, I thought a hotel should know how long its guests are staying with them...1 week staying there, 'are you leaving today?' 1 and a half weeks there ' are you leaving today', 2 weeks there 'are you leaving today?'...wow, how welcome we felt there.
There was one nice girl there who seemed smiley and friendly and she is the only nice one there. We felt unwelcome and uncomfortable being around the pool and bar area...which is why we never stayed there in the day.

Our last day we waited for the bus to collect us and had one last ice cold beer, when the bus arrived we didn't even get a good bye, until I shouted across the pool myself to say bye. For us it got to the point when we wouldn’t get a snack there out of principle, I did not want them to have my money if they were going to be so unwelcoming to us, it was clear that we didn't spend our money there all day so they weren't interested in us.
To sum up, Lena was a good base for us as we went out every day. Would I recommend staying there? No, not at all, if you intend to not move from the pool and spend all your money there then they will be friendly with you I am sure, if you want to go out a lot then you may well have the experience we did with them.

9 Thank Chris_and_Karolina
chesterfield
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Me and my family went to the lovely Lena apartments last year and every other year since before 2000. We know the owners and their family very well, it's easy to make friends with people around the pool and the bar. Even if you want to keep to yourself and have a quiet relaxing holiday just don't interact with others and they won't bother you. The food is excellent and as soon as its ready the food is brought to you. The rooms are properly cleaned every couple of days by one woman that cleans all the rooms in the apartment in one day. I have no complaints about the family business and i never will, if anyone has any questions to ask me feel free. :-)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sara244134x
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I'm looking forward to returning back to Elounda in July. An really looking forward to seeing John an Maria George Lena, and their beautiful daughter. We return every year to this wonderful resort. And look forward to meeting some special friends who we have met over the years who also come to these wonderful appartments. In all the years I have visited Greece, they are the most friendliest family I have ever met. They will bend over backwards to help you. I'm in Greece this year for 5 weeks. The food at the bar is top notch an always delivered with a smile. A superb location on the beach front over looking the beautiful beaches of Elounda.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family