“Nice quick trip”

Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Elounda
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Spinalonga is an interesting trip if you know the history. I just happened to read the book called 'The Island' prior to my visit, so I was looking forward to it. It's a decent activity that won't take up your entire day....and you get to enjoy a 20 minute boat ride on the crystal clear water...

1  Thank C B
There are newer reviews for Spinalonga (Kalydon)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The boat trip was great, but its quite hot and there isnt much shelter, go in the morning, if you can. Do the blue train ride

Reviewed 5 June 2014

it was a beautiful place. The boats stuffed full with hundreds of tourist draw up and then they spill out all over the place leaving rubbish. It was a little paradise before 11am when the booze cruises arrived.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

After reading the book about this island I just had to visit . On approaching by boat I was a little put of by the numbers that were arriving .But once on the island the history and the place its self takes over .The best way to visit this place is with a guide ,ours was very good I learned so much
I was struck by the fact most of the village is in ruins not something I was expecting ,there is a lot of rebuilding going on and you do get a good idea of how the place once was .this is helped by the very helpful notices that are placed on the walls etc.
One helpful note try to get there early before it gets too busy that way you will get a better idea of the lives and history of the people who spent many years on this lovely island

1  Thank ratpack23
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We departed from Plaka which is right across the island, and got there around 8:30. There were 3 more people on the boat and one of them was delivering supplies to the island.

The island topped by a castle is majestic. We climbed to the top of the castle and while it is a bit challenging especially for my fearless 5-year old and my wife, it is a rewarding adventure.

The island was also used as a leper colony up till the 1960s, and there are a lot of more recent buildings mingled with earlier ruins - not all that interesting to the young one.

As we climb down we were met with a LOT of tourist groups, with guides explaining the function of each building. We have to walk around them to get back to the dock, only to find MORE large boats unloading hundreds and hundreds of people, many wearing beach attires.

So my suggestion is: