“Basic but clean - would go back”
Review of Emilia Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elounda
Stirling
“Basic but clean - would go back”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks in Elounda staying in Emilia apartments. We found Emilia and Hazel the cleaner to be really nice and helpful. Our sheets and towels were changed regularly. The apartment was also cleaned regularly and the floors mopped. Hazel gave us lots of advice on local attractions, she was very friendly.

Onto the noise, yes there was car noise, but the crickets were also loud, after a day or two I was unaware of the noise.

The walk to the beach was short and pleasant, and we enjoyed visiting the local market on a Friday to get our fruit and veg.

on reading these reviews before going I took pegs with me, but when I arrived found that we had more than enough supplied already.

This accommodation is very central for beach and tavernas and shops

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Pistill1

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
jersey
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We've just come back from our 3rd holiday here,and have already booked for next year.
As I have said in a previous review Emilia apartments are basic.However they are well equipped and clean.Also the location is perfect,Yes the traffic can be a bit of a nuisance,but to me,everything else,(including the price) makes up for it.
Emilia herself,has always been delightful,and if there are any problems they are sorted at once.
We only use our apartment for showering and sleeping,and would rather spend our money out and about.Of course,other peoplewill prefer more upmarket accomodation and there are plenty of places that cater for them..

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank louci
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2010

It was extremely noisy at night which even earplugs couldn't help. The design and acoustics of the building means that you can also hear everyone else and the plumbing is also quite noisy. The matressess were also rock hard, but that's common in Greece. We paid for 7 nights and our flight wasn't due to arrive in Crete until the following morning, but apparently the night we were flying was counted as the first night - even though we weren't going to arrive at our accomodation until 7am the following day (so we were charged for a night we didn't spend there). The worst part was the owner who following confusion over when we should have vacated the accomodation became rude and insulting which was totally uncessesary, as not once were we rude to her. It was because we were not told by our rep that we had to leave our accomodation 12 hours before our pick up to take us to the aiport which was in the middle of the night. I accept we made a mistake, but the rudeness was totally uncalled for.

The region is beautiful, though Elounda village itself is not spectacular, but at least there are no noisy night clubs and the beach is nice and never too crowded. I highly recommend the 'jeep safari' up into the mountains to see the real Crete and hear more about this lovely island.

I'll never go back to that accomodation, though.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hols201079
Ilkeston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2010

In the brochure it said that the Emilia was in a quiet side street with light traffic noise.Great! I thought.A nice peaceful honeymoon for me & my husband.How wrong was I ?
Traffic was heavy all day AND night. At 6:00 am when you thought it was safe to sleep,construction lorries thundered past..
The apartments were clean but basic.In my daughter's apartment the toilet was actually in the shower cubicle!
I would definiitely NOT stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank smag53
wiltshire
Reviewed 1 March 2010

i'm not sure if i stayed at the same place as another of the reviewers. my daughter aged 20 and i had a lovely week in one of the emilia appartments. it was well equipped, clean, towels sheets etc changed regularly, washing line and pegs, the bus dropped us off right outside, the road was quiet, altho the village is quite noisy with jollity until the early hours. i was too mean to pay for air con but it was available. the patio/balcony was lovely in the evenings. we loved it and are going again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vickytory
Essex
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Myself and my husband have just got back from spending 2 weeks in Elounda staying at the Emilia apartments. I must start by saying something positive about these apartments. The location is excellent you are only about 200 or 300 meters from the main town where there are plenty of restaurants, tavernas and bars to chose from with lovely views of the harbour. In the 2 weeks that we were there we did not have one bad meal and all of them were around the same sort of price.
Unfortunately I can not say many positive things about the Emilia apartments. When we arrived we had no towels although this was quickly rectified when we told our rep. The towels that we did receive however were not changed for the duration of our holiday.
Our bed sheet was changed once during the 2 weeks that we were there and in-between this the sheet was just turned over. The reason that we new that the sheet had not been changed was I really suffered from the bites and they weeped and bled (sorry for the detalied info) these marks remained on the bed sheet and towels. We also had to purchase our toilet roll for the duration of our holiday as they would not supply us with any and the floor was only moped onceduring our 2 week stay.
The last thing is the noise. How anyone can say that the noise did not affect them is beyond me. I am a very heavy sleeper my husband always says that I would sleep through anything but this was terrible. The apartments are situated on a main road and it is obviously very popular with the locals it didn't matter what time of the day it was there was traffic noise including 3am when the motorbikes would come tearing past. So if you have any take some ear plugs you will need them. Apart from all this I would recommend Elounda as a resort but not the Emilia apartments. All this said we still had a great holiday it was just a shame about the accommodation.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ladyloz
sheffield
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I want to give an honest and balanced review of this accommodation. I say from the beginning that despite what I say below, I would go back here for the location alone. And it was very clean. This accommodation is extremely basic - in fact of the 3-4 holidays in Greece I take each year in self catering accom within this price range, this is by far the most basic. The fridges desperately need replacing - ours had extra magnets that had been fitted to the doors to attempt to keep it closed. A good fridge is important to us because we need to keep life preserving medication cold. The wardrobe has a ridiculous arrangement of sliding plastic eyes (8 in total) which a coathanger hooks into so you can only hang a total of 8 garments in the wardrobe. Although our studio was fairly large, for reasons that are beyond me, there was a small internal half wall which meant our double bed was wedged into a space where there was barely 9 - 10 inches at each side. There was only enough room for one bedside table and that had to be turned sideways. Additionally the bed was even lower than usual - so getting in and out of bed provided my husband and I with considerable entertainment. There was no breadboard - no big deal perhaps but it meant that the formica table was getting badly marked. The air con is ridiculously expensive at 8 Euros per day - the max I've encountered so far this year was 50 per week. The bathrooms are so small that you could sit on the loo and brush your teeth (if you wanted to!). There was no washing rack so remember to take pegs because it gets very breezy (and a line too although the metal framed balcony is fine providing you've got pegs). Unfortunately, if you come out on one of the night-time flights, you cannot extend your room so after mid-day you are out in the street for 13 and a half hours (pick up for both Manchester and Gatwick Friday/Sat flights was 1.35 am). On the positive side, the traffic which others complain of never bothered us at all. As stated in my heading the owner is extremely pleasant. At the back it overlooks a lovely olive grove. There is a good sized new kettle. Attempts have been made to counteract the lack of hanging space by providing 3 coat hooks firmly screwed into the wall. The bedding/towels are changed regularly/bins emptied and the accom as a whole was very clean. It takes only approx 3 mins to walk to the nearest supermarket and the bakery. Its about 6 mins to the beach. Other useful info: there are 3 ATM machines within 3/4 mins. 2 sunbeds and 1 umbrella costs 6 Euros (In Rhodes in May is was 8). Corali/Portobello round the corner opposite the windmill will let you book a room for one night - be warned, its pricey (60 Euros) but has a lovely pool and the studios are top class (air con included which it should be at that price). If you are on a tight budget the Cypriana does a set meal for 2 starting at 18Euros for large Greek Salad,Chicken souvlaki, chicken fillet and a half carafe of house wine. the set meals creep up 19,21.50 and then 25 for the same deal but with prawns and the food is very good quality. I'll post some pics once I've uploaded them.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jennywren31
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elounda
Costas & Chrysoula
Olive Grove Apartments
Olive Grove Apartments
#13 of 35 in Elounda
#23 of 49 in Plakias

Been to Emilia Apartments? Share your experiences!