“This is not a resort hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sofia Hotel

Sofia Hotel
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“This is not a resort hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

....but it's very, very good for a base for a night if you're flying in in the evening and you need a place to stay for the night. It's literally 3 minutes by taxi from the airport, and it's plain, clean and functional. The staff are excellent; nothing's too much trouble. Breakfast is either the usual bread / jam / cheese / cold meat thing or there's bacon (European style, but good nonetheless) and fried chopped sausage with fried egg and a vegetable omelette type thing. Not bad at all.

The rooms are a good size by city hotel standards and comfortable.

We've used the Sofia for two years to stay after flying in to Heraklion in the evening, and just get the car hire company to deliver the car to the hotel next morning. Simples, no hassle, and a civilised start to a holiday.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lawdylawdy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Our second time of staying here on arriving late from the UK, Run by Sofia, this really clean, comfortable hotel is the closest to Heraklion airport, offers a great breakfast, lovely staff. so nice to sit by the pool with a drink after your flight, sleep in comfy beds and have a shower and breakfast and arrange for hire car to be delivered to hotel. exactly what you need if looking for a hotel close to Heraklion airport and great deals through booking dot com

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Athens, Attiki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel during the 2014 Easter holidays, we are a family with a 2 years old kid. We know the city and the surroundings very well, we had this hotel as our base.
The room was typical, nice and clean, with comfy beds. The breakfast was average, I would expect natural orange juice and a better coffee selection (not coffee machine, it makes crappy coffee). There's a pool which we didn't try (we didn't intend to, anyway) and some parking space (free of charge). WiFi is also available for free and performs quite well.
The staff is very friendly and welcoming, they are Cretans after all :)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

lovely decorated room with stylish bathroom complete with a large shower. The view from the balcony was not very desirable, as it was overlooking a side street, however it was nice to sit on the balcony mid afternoon to shelter from the heat of the sun. The breakfast was lovely, always being re-filled. The small round sausages in particular were amazing. As for the staff, I cannot fault them at all, so welcoming and helpful. They even kept some of our toiletries which we had left, for us to pick up at a later date. The wifi was free and very quick. There is also a computer with printer in reception for all to use.

A 10 min walk to the main street provides you with a well stocked supermarket, many eating places etc.

Definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: the lifts here are very small so if you are afraid of lifts, get a room on the first floor and take...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had to leave our villa in Rethymnon at 10 in the morning with a 1030 flight in the evening. Hotel Sofia allowed the six of us to book one room for the day to give us a base. This allowed us to make use of their very sheltered swimming pool and then all have showers and get changed before leaving for our flight in the evening. The staff were friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. We used their bar area to get drinks during the day and the receptionist helped me to order food using a local take away service, which we ate at the hotel. Before leaving another member of staff gave me directions to a restaurant to eat our dinner.
The hotel room we were given had a double and two single beds in and whilst there wasn't a lot of space left in the room all six of us managed to get showered and changed with some degree of privacy. The room had a small balcony looking out over the front of the hotel. The shower room was lovely as was the large walk in shower. There were plenty of seating areas on the ground floor of the hotel and the swimming pool area was a wonderful sun trap with a large pool and smaller shallow pool.
Didn't sleep in the beds but my children seemed comfortable enough lounging on them and weren't there for breakfast though the breakfast area looked clean and welcoming.
We certainly had no complaints and would very happily use the hotel again in similar circumstances.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Harlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Landing at Heraklion Airport to pick up a hire car and launch myself straight into the exciting world of Cretan drivers ..... in the dark.... on the wrong side of the road..... for a hundred and fifty kilometres? Not my idea of fun. The answer! A night at the hotel Sofia. A 10 minute taxi trip with the luggage and the current wife and a poolside restaurant and inexpensive though very comfortable hotel room awaits.

For the peace of mind of picking up the car, after a good night's sleep, from the airport which is only 15-20 minutes easy walk away, the cost of the room is well worth it. Well rested and in broad daylight I felt more than up to whatever the massed ranks of the Cretan Pick-up trucks could throw at me.

Room Tip: No busy roads, take what they have.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I wish I could give this hotel a better review. The hotel in my opinion is just average. We chose this hotel for one night when we arrived in Crete. Honestly, it was just OK. The staff was absolutely wonderful and if I could give a 5-star rating for service I would, but unfortunately for the price this hotel charges, you could definitely find better options.

LOCATION: I didn't particularly like the location. We decided to walk to the city center which was a LONG walk. Yes, you can probably take a bus but just to clarify: we don't mind the walking but I'm writing from the "reviewer perspective" : if you have only one or two days to see as much as you can, you're better off choosing a hotel closer to the center of all the attractions.

ROOMS: The pictures make the rooms look modern but really, the furniture is a bit outdated the only word I can think of is dreary. The breakfast had a variety of things but nothing special.

Overall, in reviewing a place, I take into consideration the price for the value. If I had $70.00 for the night, I would say I got a great deal. But paying close to $100 a night, for this hotel is definitely not worth it.

Would I recommend it? Only if everything else is booked. If you have a choice to stay in one of the better rated hotels, then do so. If I had a choice, I would not stay here again. At the end of our week trip in Crete, we stayed at the Galaxy Hotel and it was 1000 times better and not that much more expensive (at least at the time we were there).

Sorry Sofia! I do feel bad to give this rating because I'd like to repeat that the staff was SOOO SOOO nice!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple