“Concerns”
Review of Hotel Olympic

Hotel Olympic
Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Travelling on my own, I stayed here one night on Saturday, 24th A ugust. The room was clean. Traffic noise disturbed my sleep, a little, ands the breakfast was indifferent, to say the least. However, I wonder if anyone else has concerns over missing items? About 10.15pm, I went out for a meal for about 2 hours. Unusually for me, I left a £20 note in the front of my hand luggage (my only luggage) and I think I left my watch. Then and breakfast time were the only times the case was left unattended until I reached my family's rented villa.
Thankfully, I had not left anything of real value in my room.
It wasn't until a week later when I returned to Heraklion that I realised the items were missing. I stayed at another hotel, but checked at reception to see if my watch had been handed in. I didn't pursue the issue because I had no-one with me to corroborate my story; however, a niggle of doubt remains and this is why I ask if anyone else had a similar experience.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank gooseberry46

Reviewed 3 September 2013

It was an one day business visit to Heraklion so I had to stay in a centrally located hotel.
An advantage is the taxi rank 24/7 and the shopping area which are next door. I only paid E 65 ( I booked it the day before) which is quite reasonable if you consider the time of the year 31/8 to 1/9. The room (304) is rather small, but the breakfast is rather big and the reception service is quite helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and keep the window closed in high season to ensure quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2013

This hotel looked great.Good location, attractive ground floor, good elevator.
I'm a smiley, happy person & usually make friends as I travel. Not one staff member smiled at me in 4 days. I got no sign of recognition at any stage of dropping & picking up key.
I asked for a power converter plug, and the guy answered "No." I followed up with "Really?", & he told me to go to the supermarket somewhere nearby (& closed for the weekend!) to buy one.
Later I phoned Reception to report that my TV was switching itself on & off. The woman replied "Is that all?" An hour later she came to the room to give me a lesson on how to use a remote control!!
Breakfast was just OK, but I don't know why they needed a security guard dressed as a waiter standing over the buffet table in a threatening manner. The coffee was appalling.
The room was clean, no toiletries, inadequate curtains (unless you enjoy seeing sunrise every day), air-con locked to a pre-set I found too cold.
I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank CarmelLeonard
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed here at the start of our trip to Crete touring around on our own. Its location was really good as it was convenient to get here from the airport. We took a taxi but the Airport bus also goes through the square in front of the hotel. Great location for sightseeing too. A short walk to the Archaeological museum. Again the bus for Knossos also goes by the hotel. It was a short walk from an area of bars and restaurants which was really busy with locals.

The hotel was very clean and the buffet breakfast was great.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

My wife and I stayed one night before our flight out of Crete. The staff spoke excellent English and gave good advice about visiting the Knossos archeological site. There is a bus station across from the park that will take you to the site for 1.5 Euros. You can buy a return ticket then or buy one from the kiosk near the bus stop at the Knossos stop. Map in hand, we walked to the Venetian Harbor and out on the seawall. The squares, fountains, and churches helped us navigate better than the street signs. The continental breakfast had a variety of choices and was delicious. You can take a bus to the airport for 1.5 Euros but we took a taxi for ten.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

The ratio price/quality is very low. While the location is excellent (if you want to stay in the center) there was no private parking as it is claimed (only out on the street); the service was very bad and the room as well because there was no curtains to keep the light in the morning nor was there sound-proof (hence you could listen to all the trafic and happenings of the street).
The staff of the hotel has been very dismissive and the quality of the breakfast could easily be described as very poor.
Especially considering the great hospitality of the cretans and the wide variety of cheaper choices in Crete, its a place I would not consider again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank thalia_pap
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I stayed in Heraklion one night on our way to Chania, and we were very happy with Hotel Olympic. It was in a good location near all the shopping and restaurants. It was a bit difficult to find our way there in a car, but once we found it, parking was relatively easy to find. The hotel offered breakfast, which is pretty much the same no matter where you go (pastries, greek yogurt, dried fruit, jams, cheese, ham, eggs). If you're staying in Heraklion overnight, you can't go wrong with Hotel Olympic.