We stayed here in July 2012. The price was great and the reviews and pictures were mostly favorable, so we decided to take a chance on the location. We rented a car upon arrival to Heraklion. It is a 10 -15 minute drive from the airport to Arolithos. The road leading to the hotel is narrow and winding and a bit treacherous. (We soon found that most of the roads outside of the main cities on Crete are the same. DRIVERS BEWARE!)
The hotel itself seems to be a bit of an afterthought. The "village" seems to be primarily used for local celebrations and parties. It is also home to a few artists and can be a tourist stop for those who want to see what a traditional Cretan village may have looked like.
The rooms are clean but very plain (which I understand IS traditional) and are lacking 'a woman's touch'. There were some issues with our shower and the bathroom fixtures were turning green from natural oxidation. I would suggest a shower curtain, newer bathroom fixtures, larger and thicker towels, extra pillows, and nicer bedding to make this place perfect. The pool was amazing.
The restaurant was good, but a bit pricey. THEY HAVE TERRIBLE COFFEE with breakfast and very expensive BAD coffee for a $$ fee. The breakfast was standard for Europe and Greece. However, sitting for a meal on the patio overlooking the pool in the evening is enchanting and very relaxing.
The music from the Greek parties did not bother me. I found the music delightful and thought it added added to the ambiance.
This is a great place for people looking for a quiet retreat from the touristy experience in the beach towns and cities of Crete.
There are goats, sheep and livng things all around the area. This place is truly in the country!
Do not attempt this location without your own transportation.
Do not attempt this location if you have difficulty walking up and down stairs, or up hill.
There is wifi only in and around the Taverna.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village is really a very special case. It is a hotel at the form of an old village of Crete. Constructed at the form of an old village it travels us back to the past times. The rooms are very standard but with the necessary services. There is a magnificent swimming pool with a breathtaking view over the city of Heraklion and the valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village Hotel Heraklion
- Arolithos Hotel Heraklion
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village Crete/Heraklion