I chose to stay at Arolithos to experience the Cretan culture rather than just stay at any old hotel. I am glad I stayed there, but I was also glad that I had only booked 2 nights there.
The village itself is quite charming, the receptionist was extremely friendly, breakfast was adequate, dinner in the restaurant was very inexpensive and delicious. On Wednesday nights (at least in May) they have Cretan Entertainment - dancers perform traditional Cretan/Greek dances, there's live music, all you can drink wine with a set dinner menu - all for 30 euros a person. I showed up late, wasn't very hungry, but thought it was still worth it.
Our room, on the other hand, wasn't that charming - it had stone floors that were peeling (flaking pieces of the polish were stuck to my feet constantly), the shower head holder was broken, the first day the shower water temp was fine, but the second day it kept changing drastically from warm to scolding hot to cold, the soap holder was missing the holder part and was just a metal frame that was useless, some tiles in the bathroom were missing, the flimsy plastic toilet seat moved every time I sat on it, there was a refrigerator in our room but it was unplugged and smelled bad, the tv was small but it worked.
Also, if you stay here, you should have a rental car. One way from Arolithos to Heraklion (port, airport, or bus station) will cost you 15-17 euros from an honest taxi driver (which I found rare in Crete, so rare, that when I did find an honest one, I got his cell number so I could call him for future rides), or 25 euros from the taxi drivers looking to rip off the next tourist. There is a bus stop right across from Arolithos, but it only shows up 4 times a day to take you to Heraklion, and the time I tried to take it, it was 30 minutes late.
I recommend visiting Arolithos, perhaps book a room there on Cretan Entertainment night, but not for a long term stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village is really a very special case. It is a hotel at the form of an old village of Crete. Constructed at the form of an old village it travels us back to the past times. The rooms are very standard but with the necessary services. There is a magnificent swimming pool with a breathtaking view over the city of Heraklion and the valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village Hotel Heraklion
- Arolithos Hotel Heraklion
- Arolithos Traditional Cretan Village Crete/Heraklion