“Enjoyed my stay - would stay here again”

Galaxy Hotel Iraklio
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was fortunate enough to have stayed at the Galaxy Hotel over Easter weekend; in fact, the priest who brought the holy lights from Athens to Heraklion was on my Aegean Airlines flight! Greeting me in my room was a lovely plate of cookies, bread, and hard-boiled eggs and a white liquor that fulfilled every expectation I had for what jet fuel would taste like. Apparently traditional and a nice touch - at subsequent hotels and restaurants through out Crete I found a little honey or lemon made it palatable. The hotel is conveniently located to the center of the city and on the Hop On-Hop Off Tour Bus route. The staff were wonderful, friendly, and accommodating. Kostas was always ready to give tips on where to go, what to see, and he guided me to the correct bus for Knossos. What service! Breakfast was fantastic every morning with options for every type of eater. I was also fortunate enough to have enjoyed the Easter lunch feast. WiFi signal was strong and I never had any problems connecting. The courtyard area by the pool was peaceful and just what I needed to start my vacation. Thank you Galaxy Hotel for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,781)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

This hotel was a bit like an airport hotel. Small room, Greek TV, over expensive bar. Noisy during the night, needed big air con as the room was over warm. But the staff were friendly and the breakfast good.

Stayed: April 2014
Yiannis E, Owner at Galaxy Hotel Iraklio, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Mrs. Margaret M,
Our warmest wishes for Happy Easter! Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Heraklion and for your insightful and kind review.
Yiannis G. Economou
Owner-Galaxy Hotel Iraklio

Reviewed 12 April 2014

My review of this hotel is based on unusual circumstances. While in Crete, my wife suffered a heart attack and was admitted to the University of Crete Medical Center, where she got a pacemaker.

For the week she was in hospital, I stayed at the Galaxy. The staff, from the front desk to the bellman, were kind, considerate, and looked after me when I was tired, stressed, and only able to think about my wife.

They kept my car handy when I needed to leave in a hurry. When my wife was discharged they arranged for a hair salon to wash her hair (something so small but so important when you've been in hospital for a week), and were considerate in so many other ways.

For these reasons alone I'd be raving about this place. I was treated as a human being in need, not just another customer. This is very Greek, of course, but also very appreciated.

Aside from this, the rooms are comfortable, the restaurant and food outclasses your average business hotel by miles, and the location is convenient to the old town and services. No, it isn't beach front, and parking can be a bit of a challenge, but everything else far outweighs that.

And extra special thanks to Maria and Antonis.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hfulghum
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We booked a quiet executive room and found ourselves overlooking the pool on the top floor in a spacious room with a small balcony. Everything was comfortable; a kettle was provided on request, as was an electric adaptor. Service was always very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was highly varied, including Cretan specialities that changed every morning. My favourite custard pies luckily came up twice in our week! There were three different timings on the boiled eggs, plus fried eggs and other variations. Fresh fruit, pastries, cereals were also in abundance. We had dinner twice in the hotel. It was more expensive than prices prevailing in town, especially for the wine, but the food was beautifully served and tasty. Appetizer portions were on the small side, main courses were sufficient. Grilled vegetables made a wonderful appetizer. We liked the location of the hotel about 1 km away from the center--it meant we got to walk off some of that breakfast each morning! We would happily return to this hotel if we were staying in Heraklion again.

Room Tip: The extra cost of an executive room is probably worth it, given the size of regular rooms as describ...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank leisure-traveller44
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

We booked here because we needed a room for one night prior to our vacation rental. The staff was outstanding; from front desk to the restaurant to the bellman, everyone was helpful and welcoming. The room was clean and comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised by the delicious dinner we had in the restaurant. There was live music, jazz piano and female vocalist, their first night of the season. They were great. We'll be back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kattub
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We spent 3 days in this excellent hotel as part of our holiday in Crete. This is by far one of the finest hotels with a great service from all the staff. It is well located to explore Iraklio and it prides on serving their customers. The food in the restaurant is very good, don't miss it! Would definitely visit again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MohammadA992
Reviewed 22 February 2014

LOVED this hotel. After more than a week of road tripping, we needed to find a hotel to stay the night in Heraklion to catch an early flight to Athens. So glad we found this place because it was a great find! If you need a place close to the airport and close to the center, do not hesitate one bit to choose this one.

Modern hotel, amazing service and a great restaurant. I wish we would have stayed here our first night in Heraklion when we started our trip in Crete.

Would I recommend? YES YES YES!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple