“Ok for a night”

Ranked #26 of 58 Hotels in Heraklion
Athens, Greece
“Ok for a night”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed for one night at this reasonably priced hotel very close to the port in Heraklion. The Life Hotel is also about a 15 minute walk from the cultural centre of the city and a major road runs past it's front doors, affording easy access by bus to the airport.

The single room I rented for one night was en suite and cleanly furnished, as was the rest of the hotel. However I had no view out of the window (except of walls and other windows) and felt the room was a bit dark and depressing - would not really have wanted to stay for longer than one night. I paid an extra €5 in the morning for breakfast and, whilst there may have been some misunderstanding on my part, I was informed that the cooked breakfast would be about 5 minutes. So I had a bowl of cornflakes and some fruit juice whilst waiting, but the cooked breakfast never materialised and I could see that there was no one working in the kitchen and all the lights in there were off, so in my opinion I don't really think the €5 for breakfast was worth it.

Wi-fi is available in all rooms as well as a fridge, small safe, air conditioning and a TV. The place markets itself as a "boutique" hotel but I don't really think it qualifies to be honest. Decent enough place overall but I would try to find somewhere else in Heraklion, in future, especially if I were staying for longer than a night.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the front of the hotel if you want a view of anything other than walls and win...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Gaz D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
devon, england
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

Handy for the port, under 5 mins walk from the bus station and the port. There is however nothing boutique about it. The outside looks quite clean and modern (almost like an ibis) but the room I had was old and worn (and stank of smoke). If you just need an overnight before/after an early/late ferry it's ok. Heraklion is small and everything is in walking distance but if you're looking for a holiday, keep looking.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank snoopy82
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Really great hotel, we stayed here after a late night flight into Heraklion. The guy on reception was so lovely and helpful. He even went to the trouble of ordering us in food as we were really hungry. The rooms were very comfortable, good beds, powerful shower. I thoroughly recommend this hotel, I would stay again in a heartbeat. Thanks for a very positive first introduction to Greece :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Mel151281
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The location of the hotel on the Main Street and great walk to the town. Friendly front desk staff. Maintenance fixing rooms at 8.30pm not ideal. Rooms old and small but ok for an overnight stay. Would not rush back.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Morgan3333
Moffat Beach
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We needed a reasonable hotel near the port in Heraklion - The Life Hotel was just what we needed and at a good price too. The staff are really helpful and the rooms, although clearly old rooms spruced up, had everything we needed and we had a comfortable night. It is so convenient, a quick walk to the ferry, a slightly longer one to the archeological museum and centre, supermarket nearby - and THE best chocolate shop ever... What more can you ask?

Room Tip: Those on front with the view feel a little more open but the back ones are cheaper and quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank yeshekathy
Anglesey Wales
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I agree that this is convenient for the port, not a fantastic area at night(quiet as opposed to anything I saw which bothered me) and also that the road noise may be a problem(but you can see this when you check in and ask for a quiet room in the back).
Our room was clean, beds comfortable, matching furniture and quiet. The girl on reception didn't have much English and my Greek didn't run to "the bathroom light has gone, could you please change it but by the time we returned it was done!
The staff in the cafe were friendly and the coffee was good!
Not what I would call a boutique hotel(we had come from Casa Delfino in Chania) but I would stay again if I needed to

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Frances J
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Our family spent a month travelling around the islands. We only spent one night here, based on the proximity to the port, but would have stayed longer just because of the bed! In fact, it was the standard we used when mattress shopping recently, and nothing came close. Our rooom was great - we had one of the rooms on the first floor so it had a very large balcony, but not much of a view. The room had a wall to divide the room in two, so if you have a child with you you'll have some privacy and they'll feel like they have their own room.

Since there was no parking, we just checked into the room, dropped the bags off and headed up to Knossos, which was very easy to find, especially since we had never been to Heraklion before. You pretty much just follow the signs! Still no parking when we got back, so we decided to go ahead and leave the car at the port like the rental agency told us to do. Only problem with that was the guard didn't know where the rental cars were supposed to go, and didn't want to let us park there, so we just guessed where we were supposed to leave it. When we caught the ferry the next morning the car was still there, so I had to wait until we got to Santorini to email the agency and tell them where we left it. We didn't get charged for it, so I assume they ended up getting it!

We didn't mind the walk into the main part of town, as it was along the water and we got to see the Fortress and did a big loop up and back to the hotel. Saw two Starbucks (which still dumbfounds me when there are such lovely cafes everywhere), as well as street muscians on what appeared to be the main road where the banks are. Very lively and made us wish we'd had another night to explore there. Ate dinner at one of the tavernas with a view of the Fortress, can't remember the name of it but they kept bringing us free Raki and it was a really lovely end to our visit to Crete. We did walk past several beautiful hotels along the water during our walk, but it was such an easy walk that if we came back to Heraklion we would stay here again.

Also, I never thought I would recommend a place based on something as awful as this, but our son is 6. He is the world's pickiest eater, and spent a majority of our trip eating pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches. As much as we tried he just did not do well with the Greek food. The hotel is right across the street from McDonalds. I hate McDonalds, but it absolutely made our son's day.

If anyone is looking for a hotel that is the closest to the port, I believe this is it. The staff was lovely, and filled us in on how the port works (we were confused because there is a Port Authority building with lines for passport control and immigration, turns out for the ferry all you do is stand in line in front of it). Our son also left his sunglasses in the lobby when we checked in, and they recognized they were his and gave them back to us when we got back that night.

I would give it 5 stars, but the restaurant wasn't open when we stayed there and was one of the reasons I booked it - I wanted access to a frappe first thing in the morning! Other than that, everything else was great.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family