“19 day visit during December 2009” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Park Hotel
Ranked #44 of 57 Hotels in Heraklion
Perth, Australia
“19 day visit during December 2009”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I STAYED THERE FOR 19 DAYS DURING DECEMBER 2009 AND THE PLACE WAS SHOCKING TO THE MAX! THE SERVICE WAS BAD, THE OWNERS WERE RUDE, THE FACILITIES WERE SHOCKING. IDO NOT GO THERE, UNLESS THE ONLY OTHER OPTION IS SLEEPING ON THE STREET! The shower/bath drains blocked up and the bathroom started to overflow with faecal matter from the drains, so being naked I had no other option but to use what towels I had to mop it up a little in order to walk out of the room to call for help (wearing just a towel)....when the owner came and saw her towels on the floor, all she cared was about the towels on the floor AND not my predicament! THIS HAPPENED TWICE before they moved us into another room!! And she was not happy when I obviously needed a new set of towels!! UNBELIEVABLE!! The tv had no arial, nothing to watch. Each time we tried using the stove to make a pot of tea (on the occassion that it did work...) we would get a slight electric shock! There was obviously a short somewhere! At the beginning the owner said that we would not have to pay too much for our electricity use, that it was relatively cheap........ HOWEVER at the end he hit us up with a HUGE bill! we both only had a quick shower maybe twice a day.... and he could not justify the bill!! We got talking to some guys who lived in a house close by, and they said that their power bill for the four of them (for a month) was no way near what we had to pay for our 19 day stay!! The common areas were very dirty and dusty as well.... WHEN I RETURNED TO AUSTRALIA I WAS LEFT IN SHOCK FOR A LONG TIME THAT ANYONE CAN RUN SUCH AN ESTABLISHMENT AND GET AWAY WITH IT! WOW! coincidentally, the owner had apparently previously been a local member of parliament there.......hmmmmmmm DO NOT GO THERE!!!

Room Tip: top floor only as drains tend to flood/overflow - only if you have have have to stay there!!
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank IceMaiden70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Greek first
Pinellas Park, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Suburban location, 6 Euros away from the center (taxi). Bus tickets are hard to buy and if you are a group of 3 or 4, they don't save any money. Owners met with us at arrival, offered free refreshments and fruit from their garden and told us a colorfull story about their lives (sailor travelling all around the world, then fishing boat owner). Very friendly.
The lobby/restaurant is very pretty as well. Walk to the beach takes 10-15 min. The beach however is not what you would normally expect. There is no place to buy a soda or a hot dog, rent umbrella, change, etc. The 5-Euro breakfast in the morning is probably not worth it, with nothing warm (other than coffee), cheap coldcuts, cheese, packaged jem and white Greek bread.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MICHAELTAMPABAY
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

I feel a bit guilty leaving a bad review, because the owners seem very nice and I believe they probably just don’t have enough business to fix this place up. Also, much of the disappointment is due to the overall location, not the hotel itself. If it weren't for the nice comments on here, which seem very deceptive to me, I probably wouldn't have bother reviewing this place. I want to warn people from making a mistake.

That said, the only few good points were…

They accept pets (we had a dog), they were able to give us four beds in one room (ideal with two kids) and the air conditioner worked well. Also, I saw no sign of roaches or mosquitoes. The owners were nice.

The negative points were…

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere. People are commenting on how nice it is to eat with the hosts. Well, quite frankly, I don’t see what choice you have. My family and I walked 2 km to find a normal sit-down meal. The entire neighborhood seems really run-down and depressing. So many old abandoned buildings and hotels that look like they used to be nice but have empty pools and are falling apart.

The pool at this hotel was filthy. Perhaps it was just lots of leaves and bugs floating around (I didn’t inspect closely), but it doesn’t appear to be maintained very well.

The beach nearby is easy to walk to (a nice trail takes you there, just a couple minutes away), but (obviously no fault of the hotel), the beach is disgusting. There was trash everywhere, including dirty diapers and condoms. We saw a few people swimming in the sea and they seemed to be enjoying themselves, but we didn’t dare go in. Washed up on the sand we saw sea urchins and there were loads of algae. Without swimming, we had nothing to do, so I watched my kids make sand castles in the heat for two hours. Even the sand was crappy.

The building itself is old and falling apart. Everything in our room was cheap, old and ugly: dirty plastic chairs on the balcony, uncomfortable old beds, a leaky bathtub.

This one night cost us 75 euros.

We never expected something nice. In fact, we were supposed to stay in this hotel on our arrival in Crete (one night) and just before our departure (also one night). It was my wife’s idea to not waste money at the resort (where we stayed two weeks) just to stay for a short time. So we booked both ends at this hotel because they were close to the airport and they accepted dogs. However, the night we arrived, there was a taxi strike. Nobody at the airport offered any help. We found a bus station but nobody spoke English or French. We finally took a random bus into the center of Heraklion and walked around aimlessly for help late at night. I tried repeatedly to call this hotel as early as 10 pm (I dialed the number correctly from a local phone as well as my cell phone) and they never answered their phone. They were the only ones who could’ve helped us because nobody ever heard of this hotel or the street they were on. (To top it off, my iPhone map was showing this exact hotel, with the same address, right in the middle of the city, next to the Liberty Square; not sure who did that, but it really caused us problems.) Well, we ended up never finding it that evening. By midnight we gave up and just walked into any hotel we could find in the city center. When we arrived two weeks later, I never said anything about it, but I was really tempted to ask why they wouldn't answer their phone when they should've known there were guests on their way.

If you care anything about location, having something to do or even a tiny bit of comfort or quality, you should avoid this place. Like I said, the owners seem very nice, but the hotel and neighborhood are quite disappointing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ValueSeeker214

Travellers are raving about these Heraklion hotels

Vimercate, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

We stayed 1 night only (luckily), paying 45 euro without breakfast...
Honestly the worst hotel in Crete during our 2 weeks stay: everything in the room was very old, the beds were very hard and we didn't sleep all night, there was a cockroach under the wardrobe and in general the room was very dirty...
In one word a place to avoid!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank davok80
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

Institutional feeling room with hard mattresses. A/C not working so sweltering hot + mosquitoes. Location far from center of town. No lift.

The owner was very nice and there's a pool, but for us those things couldn't compensate for the hotel quality and location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank busybaker
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2011

Just returned after 6 days at this hotel. Though only a 2 star hotel, the service and hospitality of the family (staff) at the hotel, is worth several additional stars. Fantastic home cooked breakfast and supper every day, and a great friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike_clausen
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

My friend and I stayed at the Park Hotel in September 2010. It is a family run establishment and they make you feel very welcome at home. The hotel is just a short walk to the beach, which is just gorgeous. The mother made breakfast and dinner for us, what is even more impressive is all the food they had was home grown/home raised. If you stay here, you have to have her cooking. Absolutely the best food we had the whole trip and the best Bolognese I have ever had. The younger son was very nice and helpful. He offered to let us use his computer and even took us into town at a local spot for a drink. It was refreshing to have such a nice experience. I highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends